Professional Web Applications Themes

Scripts on Mac OS X - Mac Programming

Is it safe to assume that all versions of Mac OS X: 1. Are delivered with Python installed and 2. It's installed under /usr/bin/python If the answer is no, then: Is it safe to assume that all versions of Mac OS X: 1. Are delivered with Perl installed and 2. It's installed under /usr/bin/perl Thanks...

  1. #1

    Default Scripts on Mac OS X

    Is it safe to assume that all versions of Mac OS X:

    1. Are delivered with Python installed and
    2. It's installed under /usr/bin/python

    If the answer is no, then:

    Is it safe to assume that all versions of Mac OS X:

    1. Are delivered with Perl installed and
    2. It's installed under /usr/bin/perl

    Thanks

    Mike Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scripts on Mac OS X

    In article <1S%nc.92204$telia.net>,
    "Mike H" <se> wrote:

    As you can tell by running lsbom | grep usr/bin/perl (and python) on the bom
    files in /Library/Receipts, the answers for 10.3 are:

    No. python is in the optional BSD package

    Yes

    Yes

    Yes

    I believe the answers are the same for 10.2 and 10.1. I don't remember if 10.0
    had perl in the BaseSystem package.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks meeroh. I'll go for Perl then. I'm creating an installer for my software. I'll probably
    use Apple Package Maker to create it and I assume that it's possible to call scripts from
    a package being installed?

    > No. python is in the optional BSD package

    > Yes

    > Yes

    > Yes
    >
    > I believe the answers are the same for 10.2 and 10.1. I don't remember if 10.0
    > had perl in the BaseSystem package.
    >
    > meeroh
    >
    > --
    > If this message helped you, consider buying an item
    > from my wish list: <http://web.meeroh.org/wishlist>
    >[/ref]

    Mike Guest

  4. #4

    In article <Pa2oc.58803$telia.net>,
    "Mike H" <se> wrote:

    I have no direct experience with APM, but I believe that it is.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  5. #5

    Here, Miro Jurisic <org> wrote:

    > No. python is in the optional BSD package[/ref]

    10.1 didn't have Python even in the optional install. I had to install
    it via fink or building from source, which meant it wound up in
    /sw/bin or /usr/local/bin.

    --Z

    *
    Andrew Guest

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Mike Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Mike Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    In article <YqJoc.92382$telia.net>,
    "Mike H" <se> wrote:

    I would use MindVision's FileStorm, it has the capability you need.

    meeroh

    Miro Guest

  9. #9

    On 11/05/2004, Mike H wrote in message
    <Pa2oc.58803$telia.net>:

    Think six times before doing this. Is there really a good reason
    for your app to need an installer ? Why can't your user just drag
    it to the folder where they want it ?

    Simon.
    --
    Using pre-release version of newsreader.
    Please tell me if it does weird things.

  10. #10

    > Think six times before doing this. Is there really a good reason
    > for your app to need an installer ? Why can't your user just drag
    > it to the folder where they want it ?
    >
    > Simon.[/ref]

    SImon, I've though 600 times and I do *not* like the fact that people
    over and over again say that installers should be avoided.
    Installers are, in most cases, very good because they may check
    that the user is really putting things where they should be and
    that no earlier versions reside on the system etc.

    An installer is definitely needed in this case, which is very special.
    Our support says people don't manage to install the software by
    dragging it. That has increased our need for support, which costs $$$.

    It's easy to think that dragging and dropping a piece of software would
    be easy for everyone, but it's *not*. People drag things over old versions
    which results in a mix of old and new files. And they keep multiple
    versions of the same software on the system, which creates problems
    in this case.

    We need to control *where* they install it and that they have really
    deleted an older version. Two different versions can *not* reside
    in the system at the same time.

    In addition, there's a very good reason. We sell single user licenses
    and they should not be able to put it in the root folder, which would
    make it accessible for everyone who logs into that computer.

    So there are several good motivations and I think that they apply
    to many software vendors, not just us. So *please* *please*
    *please* realize that installers are not an evil thing. They can be
    very good and user friendly, because they can do several checks
    and help the user to do things the right way.

    Mike Guest