Professional Web Applications Themes

Scrollable Text Area - Macromedia Exchange Dreamweaver Extensions

Hi, I have inherited a website that uses javascript/DHTML to create a scrollable text area. I suspect it was created using a Dreamweaver extension as the pages with scrollable text contain the following comment lines: // Extension developed by David G. Miles // Original Scrollable Area code developed by Thomas Brattli. I?m no Javascript or DHTML expert but it looks good and it still works in IE7. My question is, how do I edit the text that scrolls? It is not initially visible in design view, unless I place the cursor in either of these two lines in the code ...

  1. #1

    Default Scrollable Text Area

    Hi, I have inherited a website that uses javascript/DHTML to create a
    scrollable text area. I suspect it was created using a Dreamweaver extension as
    the pages with scrollable text contain the following comment lines:

    // Extension developed by David G. Miles
    // Original Scrollable Area code developed by Thomas Brattli.

    I?m no Javascript or DHTML expert but it looks good and it still works in IE7.
    My question is, how do I edit the text that scrolls? It is not initially
    visible in design view, unless I place the cursor in either of these two lines
    in the code window:

    Although this reveals the text in the design window, if I try and click on the
    text to edit it, it disappears. I can find the text in the code window, and I
    could edit it there, but I have a lot of changes to make and I would prefer to
    make them with some visual feedback of the formatting. Does anybody know if
    this is possible?

    I've tried searching for info on the web, but all the pages that I can find
    point to [url]http://www.z3roadster.net/dreamweaver/[/url]. This address does not exist
    and the domain ([url]www.z3roadster.net[/url]) comes up with an asp.net error page.

    Also, is it necessary for the site to use frames for this Javascript/DHTML to
    work?

    Blim Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Scrollable Text Area

    Blim wrote:
    > Although this reveals the text in the design window, if I try and click on the
    > text to edit it, it disappears. I can find the text in the code window, and I
    > could edit it there, but I have a lot of changes to make and I would prefer to
    > make them with some visual feedback of the formatting. Does anybody know if
    > this is possible?
    Now way for anyone to know for sure without a link to your page to see what code it uses. One suggestion would be to copy and paste the text into another doent make the necessary edits and then paste it back into the original doent.

    > Also, is it necessary for the site to use frames for this Javascript/DHTML to
    > work?
    Unless the script you are talking about uses a iframe within the divs to create the scrollable area (which is doesn't seem to do if you can see the text of the scrollable area in the code), then it seems from your description that it should work, but only way to tell is for you to pull the frames out.

    --
    Danilo Celic
    | Extending Knowledge Daily : [url]http://CommunityMX.com/[/url]
    | Adobe Community Expert
    danilocelic AdobeCommunityExpert Guest

  3. #3

    Sorry, I thought the David G. Miles reference might be recognised. The site I
    have inherited can be seen on [url]http://www.buildingtesting.co.uk[/url]. The scrolling
    text is on most pages, but not the first one.

    Thanks

    Blim Guest

  4. #4

    Blim wrote:
    > Sorry, I thought the David G. Miles reference might be recognised. The site I
    > have inherited can be seen on [url]http://www.buildingtesting.co.uk[/url]. The scrolling
    > text is on most pages, but not the first one.
    I am familiar with David G. Miles, however if his site isn't showing up for you, then it's likely not showing up for others as well.

    The div has a CSS ID applied to it that causes it to be hidden, in particular:
    #divContainer{position:absolute; width:550; height:160; overflow:hidden; top:280; left:25; clip:rect(0,550,160,0); visibility:hidden}

    change visibility to visible and you should see the content of the DIV. You can make that change in code view, or by selecting the div in design view and opening the CSS styles panel.

    Looks to me that the scrolling script has nothing to do with frames, so I'd guess that you can drop them completely.