Professional Web Applications Themes

Seamless textures from images/texture synthesis by example - Mac Applications & Software

I am looking for an application, free or cheap, preferably on the Mac although I could also use Windows or Linux, to make seameless tiling textures based on an input image. What I'm looking for is this. I want something that will allow me to import an image and then place a square cookie cutter at a place on the image. Then I want the program to be able automatically to generate meandering stitching cuts near the edges of the cookie cutter so as to produce a good repeatable texture. For example, if the image is of a bunch of ...

  1. #1

    Default Seamless textures from images/texture synthesis by example

    I am looking for an application, free or cheap, preferably on the Mac
    although I could also use Windows or Linux, to make seameless tiling
    textures based on an input image.

    What I'm looking for is this. I want something that will allow me to
    import an image and then place a square cookie cutter at a place on
    the image. Then I want the program to be able automatically to
    generate meandering stitching cuts near the edges of the cookie cutter
    so as to produce a good repeatable texture.

    For example, if the image is of a bunch of pebbles on the ground, and
    I put the cookie cutter such that it intersects a pebble, I want the
    program to be smart enough either to include the entire pebble or
    exclude the entire pebble in the result.

    This is possible to do, and algorithms that get pretty good results
    were presented this year at SIGGRAPH 2003, most notably Graphcut
    textures. I've also gotten pretty good results with a greedy
    quasi-annealing algorithm.

    It would also be nice if the program could algorithmically generate
    sets of Wang tiles as in the Cohen et. al. paper also published this
    year. Spatiotemporal "video" textures would also be nice, but I'm
    more interested in the Wang tiles due to my application. I'm trying
    to generate tiles from real images to generate non-periodic, seamless
    texturing in 3-D games. The first application is to tile 64 square
    kilometers of the Moon nonperiodically using 1-square-meter basis
    tiles.

    So, anyway, is there such a beast?

    If the answer is "yes," where can I get it?

    If the answer is "no," would anybody care? That is, would there be
    any point in my writing one for release as opposed to for my own
    personal needs? Is this something people would like to do, or is it
    something nobody really cares about?
    Eric Guest

  2. #2

    Eric Pepke wrote:

    I've always wanted a tiling generator like you describe.
    The current tilers are not very good, nor can they do
    irregular edges AFAIK.
    George Guest

  3. #3

    Eric Pepke <org> wrote:

    I for one would care (and wouldn't develop it myself :-)
    Herve

    --
    Frédérique & Hervé Sainct, net
    Frédérique's initial is missing in front of the above address