I have just completed an office layout plan for a new building. The plan shows some 200 offices and each office has a number containing several zeros (e.g. A0010). I have now decided that to avoid ambiguity the zeros should be slashed zeros. The font is Myriad Pro Light. I replaced one of the zeros manually and then copied the slashed zero glyph into the search and replace dialog box. The slashed zero appeared as <f638> in the dialog box and the search and replace inserted a ? instead of a slashed zero in the office numbers on the plan. It also changed the font to a Chinese font (SimSun I think).

Can anyone tell me if it's possible to do a search and replace operation like this? I'm using Illustrator CS on a Windows XP setup.