Professional Web Applications Themes

Search function for external html content - Macromedia Flash Data Integration

Hi all, i have got a Flash Projector which is to be deployed on DC/DVD rom. I am using an XML menu to load various chapters and sections of html content, images etc. The client is now asking for the capability to search within the "books" content. Is there any way of doing this? I have found an Extension that allows me to search within a text field, but what about external content files? Please help. I've had a quick look at Director, but I can't see any guarantee that that product will give me an easier solution, not to ...

  1. #1

    Default Search function for external html content

    Hi all,
    i have got a Flash Projector which is to be deployed on DC/DVD rom. I am using
    an XML menu to load various chapters and sections of html content, images etc.
    The client is now asking for the capability to search within the "books"
    content.
    Is there any way of doing this? I have found an Extension that allows me to
    search within a text field, but what about external content files?
    Please help. I've had a quick look at Director, but I can't see any guarantee
    that that product will give me an easier solution, not to mention the weeks or
    relearning and redeveloping...
    :frown;

    Sonflare Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Search function for external html content

    You probably need to read all the data into Flash and do the searching in
    Actionscript.

    Director as I recall has better access to the OS so it could potentially read
    a local database. However you should continue to consider how to accomplish in
    Flash.

    If you want to explore accomplishing the same with Flash then look at third
    party products such as Zinc that will allow you to get to the OS.

    MotionMaker Guest

  3. #3

    At this point I am considering creating a seperate "index" file of all the
    projects chapters and sections (using keywords and descriptions for each
    section), so I can search through it as a single doent. Very basic, and not
    a full search function, but unless anything else comes to light I can't see an
    alternative..
    Thanks for your reply.
    David

    Sonflare Guest

  4. #4

    Sounds like a plan. There may even be utilities out there that might help you generate the index files.
    MotionMaker Guest