Professional Web Applications Themes

secure deletion of files - Mac Applications & Software

Is there a program like Norton's Wipe Info for OSX that can securely erase individual files and folders? Wipe Info doesn't work in Classic and I've moved to DiskWarrior instead of Norton for the other things so I'm not upgrading to Norton's OSX version. The only thing I could find on Version Tracker was iWipe. I've also read that that PGP can wipe files/folders, but I haven't been able to find any details in their product data sheets. -- ca...

  1. #1

    Default secure deletion of files

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: secure deletion of files

    On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 20:38:10 -0400,
    ca (ca) wrote:

    If you are comfortable using the command line (via Terminal), then
    take a look at wipe (http://wipe.sourceforge.net).

    It works well under OS X, and is free (as in beer and speech). If you
    don't have the OS X Developer's Tools installed, let me know, and I
    will make compiled binary available for download.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev Guest

  3. #3

    ca writes:

    Drop by comp.sys.mac.system and read the thread on decommissioning old
    Macs. You'll find way more than you want to know -- and it seems you cannot
    securely erase files and folders.

    If your Usenet server has already passed that thread on to the bit bucket,
    do a search for it on groups.google.com.

    I believe you are referring to Burn:
    http://www.securemac.com/burn.php
    (where it is said to "file desctuction deletion")
    Check securemac's home page for more information on file wipers for OS X.

    I found this article helpful in understanding why secure deletion is
    improbable, if not impossible:
    http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/secure_del.html
    Legal Assistance on the Web | spam and read later. email to philip
    Phil Guest

  4. #4

    In article <tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    I have read most of that thread. I know that you can't erase files
    beyond the reach of someone with really high-tech tools, but the stuff on
    my iBook would not be worth that much effort. I don't have anything like
    medical records or top-secret files. I just want to make some personal
    information (e.g. Quicken files) on my laptop extremely difficult for the
    average user to get at if the computer is stolen.
    Actually a good encryption program would probably work just as well for
    this purpose. I haven't explored the encryption available on OSX yet (if
    any.) I've used it on OS9, but I find it a bit bersome and it doesn't
    work on folders unless you stuff them. The macsecure site you mentioned
    below has some encryption programs that I'll look at as well.
    Can anyone recommend a good program that encrypts and decrypts both
    files and folders quickly?

    I downloaded this file. It looks like exactly what I want, but the
    doentation does not specify that it can be used in OSX. It appears to
    be quite an old program because the manual says it can be used with
    "System 7 or later". It does say that it's compatible with HSF+ hard
    disks.
    I'm hesitant to use it on OSX without any explicit information that it
    works. Would it be safe to try erasing a test file on OSX? I don't want to
    take a chance on hosing my hard disk.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest

  5. #5

    In article <mimnet.northwestern.edu>,
    mimnet.northwestern.edu wrote:

    > If you are comfortable using the command line (via Terminal), then
    > take a look at wipe (http://wipe.sourceforge.net).
    >
    > It works well under OS X, and is free (as in beer and speech). If you
    > don't have the OS X Developer's Tools installed, let me know, and I
    > will make compiled binary available for download.[/ref]

    I'm only just getting into OSX and I don't even know how to get to the
    Terminal. I'm pretty sure that I'd rather not be tinkering with it at this
    stage -- I have enough to learn with the GUI. I'm not sure about the
    Developer's Tools, but I don't think so. What I have on this iBook is the
    standard installation from the system disks -- they don't automatically
    install the developer's tools, do they?
    I looked at the web site you mentioned but it seemed very technical. If
    you do this compiled binary, is it something that I can launch without
    Terminal? If so, I'd be interested in seeing it. Thank you.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest

  6. #6

    In article <tdl.com>, Phil Stripling
    <zzn.com> wrote:

    (shudder) - After reading that article, I am going to store all my
    really sensitive data on old fashioned floppies, so I can incinerate
    them if necessary.

    Mark-
    Mark Guest

  7. #7

    ca writes:

    It appears to me to be for the classic OS; I referred to it as what you
    appeared to be mentioning. As I said, see the entire securemac site for
    information on OS X programs. Or do a search on Google for
    +"secure file deletion" +"Mac OS X"
    which turned up 117 links for me.

  8. #8

    <zzn.com> wrote:

    > It appears to me to be for the classic OS; I referred to it as what you
    > appeared to be mentioning. As I said, see the entire securemac site for
    > information on OS X programs. Or do a search on Google for
    > +"secure file deletion" +"Mac OS X"
    > which turned up 117 links for me.[/ref]

    I guess I wasn't clear. I was looking for something that would work in
    OSX because Norton's Wipe Info won't work in Classic. If I have to switch
    apps, I'd prefer to get something that's OSX native. I did look over the
    securemac site quite a bit and found ShreditX, which looks like a good
    candidate. I've downloaded the demo to check it out. (That's a very
    informative site, BTW -- that's for the reference.)
    I'll do the same google search as you did to find out about other
    options. Thanks for the assistance.
    Just as a matter of curiosity, do you know if it's safe to use a
    file-wiping app like Burn in Classic, even on OSX files and folders? Both
    are on HFS+ partitions and the doentation does say it's okay for HFS+.
    For that matter, I'm assuming an OSX app can safely wipe OS9 files and
    folders.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest

  9. #9

    Sorry, I have no clue.

  10. #10

    In article <0.1.2>, ca
    wrote:

    FYI, Apple's announced "secure empty trash" as a feature of Panther.
    Depending on your requirements, the best solution might be to just wait
    until it's released.

    --
    Tom "Tom" Harrington
    See http://www.atomicbird.com/

  11. #11

    In article <0.1.2>, ca
    wrote:

    > > It appears to me to be for the classic OS; I referred to it as what you
    > > appeared to be mentioning. As I said, see the entire securemac site for
    > > information on OS X programs. Or do a search on Google for
    > > +"secure file deletion" +"Mac OS X"
    > > which turned up 117 links for me.[/ref]
    >
    > I guess I wasn't clear. I was looking for something that would work in
    > OSX because Norton's Wipe Info won't work in Classic. If I have to switch
    > apps, I'd prefer to get something that's OSX native.[/ref]

    Try iWipe: <http://freshlysqueezedsoftware.com/products/iwipe/>

    From its description, it sounds like it'll do what you're looking for.

    Hope this helps,
    Eric

    --
    Eric Albert edu
    http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/

  12. #12

    In article <stanford.edu>, Eric Albert
    <edu> wrote:

    > > I guess I wasn't clear. I was looking for something that would work in
    > > OSX because Norton's Wipe Info won't work in Classic. If I have to switch
    > > apps, I'd prefer to get something that's OSX native.[/ref]
    >
    > Try iWipe: <http://freshlysqueezedsoftware.com/products/iwipe/>
    >
    > From its description, it sounds like it'll do what you're looking for.[/ref]

    Yes, I saw this program on Version Tracker. It didn't have any user
    ratings, though, and I wondered if it's new. I'd want to check it out a
    bit more.

    --
    ca
    dotlyc@sympatico.ca Guest