Professional Web Applications Themes

Secure FTP for OS 9? - Mac Networking

Hello! I am looking for software able to do secure ftp up- and downloads using MacOS 9.x. MacSFTP works but costs money. Is there any alternative? Do the old favourites like fetch do sftp (again, under OS 9). What is about the terminal programs? Can I use them to invoke a sftp between a host (where I have shell access) and my OS 9-iBook? (Besides, I do not know much about unix-commands.) I also do not really understand the reationship between ssh and sftp. Does any ssh program allow secure uploads? Any help appreciated! Kind regards, Gerhard -- Gerhard Lukawetz ...

  1. #1

    Default Secure FTP for OS 9?

    --
    Gerhard Lukawetz
    A-1080 Vienna, Austria

  2. #2

    Default Re: Secure FTP for OS 9?

    * Gerhard Lukawetz <void>, 2004-04-21 09:38 +0200:

    Start looking for SSH clients as well, such as "NiftyTelnet" (runs on
    everything I know but vintage PMMU-less machines like the Classic,
    but speaks only SSH 1, so the remote server would have to support
    this older protocol). I don't know of an SSH server for Mac OS < 10.

    All I know do. As for SFTP, it's an SSH subsystem and must be enabled
    on the server (default on Panther with SSH on). scp itself should work
    without SFTP.

    Using the command line is not difficult.

    scp -r MyFolder usermachine:/Users/user/

    would prompt for a pasword, then copy the folder MyFolder with
    contents to the Mac OS X home directory of user "user". But beware,
    it would overwrite a possibly existing folder (see man scp)!
    Copying just the file "file" would be like

    scp MyFolder/file usermachine:/Users/user/

    Again, the other side must be an SSH server for this to work.

    An alternative for machines with a shell is "mc" (e.g. from Fink),
    menu item "Shell Link...", which gives you SFTP.

    -Andre
    Andre Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you Andre! I trying to follow your comments.

    Simply I am looking for an alternative to MacSFTP which works well, but
    is payware.

    The situation:
    I want to upload files, renaming directories etc. on a well maintained
    webserver over a secure link. I am quite shure it supports all relevant
    services.

    I have to use a borrowed ID and PW, and the owner is very concerned
    about hacker attacks. So every connection, esp. password transmission
    should be over secure links. (Personally, I would not care so much about
    it, but it is a borrowed ID.)

    From André's posting I understand I can do secure file transfers/copies
    from a shell using the scp command. So, fine, this would be one option.

    However since security is now a major concern in computing, I think
    there should be more than 1 Mac-preOSX application (for OS 9.x on a G3)
    supporting file transfers to a host over a secure link.

    I do find secure shell (sort of telnet-) clients. However all I can do
    with them is connect to a shell and invoke an appropriate command there.
    But can I do direct secure file transfers from my iBook to the
    webserver's directories? A secure variant of an simple ftp upload?
    Probably as simple as a file-transfer in Fetch or MacSFTP, i.e. drag and
    drop?

    Thank you for any comments!
    Gerhard

    In article <local>,
    Andre Berger <de> wrote:

    Gerhard Lukawetz
    A-1140 Vienna, Austria

  4. #4

    * Gerhard Lukawetz <void>, 2004-04-22 20:23 +0200:

    Sorry Gerhard, I'll try harder!
    [...]

    I think I recall the other pre-OSX-app besides NiftyTelnet now:
    MacSSH. I think I used it to transfer files at the time.

    -Andre
    Andre Guest

  5. #5

    <de> wrote:

    > Sorry Gerhard, I'll try harder!
    > [...]
    >
    > I think I recall the other pre-OSX-app besides NiftyTelnet now:
    > MacSSH. I think I used it to transfer files at the time.
    >[/ref]

    It is similar to NiftyTelnet/BetterTelnet/Telnet in terms of features.
    It doesn't have the same GUI "file dialog" behaviour of Fetch, but it
    does have FTP commands etc. So you could use it for securely
    transfering files, but you'd need to know what commands etc. to use.

    I'd recommend trying it anyway, even if you only end up using it for
    SSH terminal sessions.
    David Guest

  6. #6

    In article <highway.telekom.at>,
    Gerhard Lukawetz <void> wrote:

    Gerhard,

    With OS 9, your options are NiftyTelnet SSH (I think V1.13r3) or MacSSH,
    both free, the latter to tunnel a regula ftp session.

    NiftyTelnet supports SCP (secure copy). The host you are trying to use
    may have to have an scp demon running (likely if it runs SSH). As
    mentioned in another post, NiftyTelnet only does SSH1 but I find most
    Unix-type clients do that just fine. SCP in NiftyTelnet is a bit clunky
    but it works.

    MacSSH per se does not do file transfer, however it lets you tunnel an
    ftp connection (actually, almost any connection). In MacSSH you have to
    enable port forwarding & have it forward the ftp port (21?). You then
    first open a normal SSH connection to your host (i.e. a terminal
    connection) & log in, and then you use fetch or your favorite ftp client
    but connect to 127.0.0.1 (Important, else you don't tunnel). Username
    and pw for ftp are the ones of the remote host. Some of the doc for this
    procedure is in the MacSSH faq on the author's web site. It's a litt;e
    involved but once your SSH session favorite is setup right it is not too
    bad.

    As you say, MacSFTP costs, but for large-scale file transfers it may be
    worth it (I have not used it). AFAIK there is no other secure file
    transfer client for OS 9. If you ever upgrade to OS X, it has the scp
    client built in (command line).

    HTH

    Uli
    Uli Guest

  7. #7

    Hello!

    Thank you, Uli for your help!

    The tunneling option in MacSSH looks interesting for me. It should not
    be to complicated to set up. I will read MacSSH's faqs. It uses Kerberos
    authentication and encryption. Application needs OS 8.6 or later.

    However file copying using SCP (secure copy) with NiftyTelnet Verion 1.1
    SSH r3 seems to be a bit clumsy. You have to specify the files you want
    to transmit in advance and have to know the path on the remote host. The
    good thing is: It runs under MacOS 7.x (!) on old 68k-Macs. I have found
    instructions at some locations of the net:

    http://www.cs.jhu.edu/services_sshmac.html
    http://www.umbc.edu/oit/sans/helpdesk/scpguide.html#mac

    So, in one or the other way I should be able to do my file transfers.

    Thank you all who contributed to solutions for my secure file transfer
    problem!

    Kind regards,
    Gerhard

    --
    Gerhard Lukawetz
    A-1140 Vienna, Austria

  8. #8

    In article <highway.telekom.at>, Gerhard
    Lukawetz <void> wrote:

    I have MacSSH running under 7.5.5 on a Performa 5200CD - IIRC there is
    (or at least was) more than one download target. I could be wrong,
    but I thought there was a 68k version at one time?

    Useful info! Thanks!
    David Guest