Professional Web Applications Themes

Secure shopping cart example? - ASP.NET General

There are lots of examples out there of ASP.NET shopping carts, but they all stop short of SSL. If someone knows of a shopping cart example that get in to code for digital certificates please show me where. I've been researching SSL and digital certificates, not that I have a specific application in mind, I just want to know how to do it. And there seem to be many ways to process credit cards. You could do it all on your server with an individual certificate and your own merchant account. A certificate from Verisign or Thuate costs some bucks. ...

  1. #1

    Default Secure shopping cart example?

    There are lots of examples out there of ASP.NET shopping carts, but they
    all stop short of SSL. If someone knows of a shopping cart example that
    get in to code for digital certificates please show me where.

    I've been researching SSL and digital certificates, not that I have a
    specific application in mind, I just want to know how to do it. And
    there seem to be many ways to process credit cards.

    You could do it all on your server with an individual certificate and
    your own merchant account. A certificate from Verisign or Thuate costs
    some bucks.

    You could let a third party do it like WorldPay and have an internet
    merchant account. I used Worldpay once and you are redirected to their
    site to make payment.

    You could farm the whole thing out to a server designed just to provide
    online stores, but that wouldn't be any fun.

    Then of course there's PayPal.

    Say I want to setup an online shopping system for a small business. I
    want to write all the code myself. What would be the least expensive
    way to do this (not including my time) without being redirected to
    another site for payment? That is having the entire transaction
    seemingly done from my website.

    Thanks for your help.
    Bruce Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Secure shopping cart example?

    "Bruce W...1" <com> wrote in

    Are you intending on doing CC processing? If so, you're looking at a
    merchant account, or at the very least some type of account with a
    processing company.

    These companies typically offer TCP, CGI, COM or some sort of payment
    gateway interface. Basically you can have your payment pages on your own
    website, process the data, fire off a payment request, and recieve a
    response.

    The reason why you don't see very many examples of this is because each
    company has their own specific implementations of a payment gateway.

    SSL is only used to handle the exchanges between the client and server.
    SSL is enabled on the server side or via a virtual directory. Your
    webhost can help you configure this. You don't need your own SSL cert,
    you can always use the ISP's cert.

    So, what you need to do is find a payment company that you can afford,
    get a peek at their API, and build some simple calls to it : )

    --
    Lucas Tam (com)
    Lucas Guest

  3. #3

    My hosting company will do some of this - they have a shopping cart, and you
    can use their shared ssl certificate. I'm using a separate merchant payment
    gateway provider instead, but am using their shared ssl -
    http://www.acomhosting.com. They can host ASP.NET, which is what I'm using.

    "Lucas Tam" <com> wrote in message

    > Are you intending on doing CC processing? If so, you're looking at a
    > merchant account, or at the very least some type of account with a
    > processing company.
    >
    > These companies typically offer TCP, CGI, COM or some sort of payment
    > gateway interface. Basically you can have your payment pages on your own
    > website, process the data, fire off a payment request, and recieve a
    > response.
    >
    > The reason why you don't see very many examples of this is because each
    > company has their own specific implementations of a payment gateway.
    >
    > SSL is only used to handle the exchanges between the client and server.
    > SSL is enabled on the server side or via a virtual directory. Your
    > webhost can help you configure this. You don't need your own SSL cert,
    > you can always use the ISP's cert.
    >
    > So, what you need to do is find a payment company that you can afford,
    > get a peek at their API, and build some simple calls to it : )
    >

    > --
    > Lucas Tam (com)
    > http://members.ebay.com/aboutme/coolspot18/[/ref]

    Rick Guest

  4. #4

    Rick Spiewak wrote:

    acomhosting looks like a good solution.

    There is a bewildering array of offerings. One could write a thesis on
    this. It will take some shopping around, more like shop till you drop.

    Some companies offer merchant accounts and a payment gateway, but you
    must use their shopping cart on their server. And they charge like 15%
    of the sales price. Some don't even let you use your own domain name.

    WorldPay is reasonable priced after a $300 setup free. But your site
    redirects to them when your shopping cart is done, not really an
    integrated solution.

    So I guess it boils down to, if you want to use ASP.NET, switching to a
    host that supports ASP.NET *AND* has a payment gateway *AND* lets you
    use your own domain name. Somebody needs to make a list of these.
    Bruce Guest