Professional Web Applications Themes

Seeking advice in recovering from damaged disk - Mac Applications & Software

Hi all, This is about an iBook running OSX 10.2, with most OS and security patches applied, which I bought for my wife about a year ago. It seems that one of our children knocked it off the table and (surprise, surprise) it seems we have some problems. In brief, boot up time was extensive and the only login option was "Other", but no user name/password combination would work. There are about nine or ten cross linked files (overlapped extent allocation), alas though, fsck couldn't fix it (ran it over half a dozen times). Disk Warrior made a valiant attempt, ...

  1. #1

    Default Seeking advice in recovering from damaged disk

    Hi all,

    This is about an iBook running OSX 10.2, with most OS and security
    patches applied, which I bought for my wife about a year ago. It seems
    that one of our children knocked it off the table and (surprise,
    surprise) it seems we have some problems.

    In brief, boot up time was extensive and the only login option was
    "Other", but no user name/password combination would work. There are
    about nine or ten cross linked files (overlapped extent allocation),
    alas though, fsck couldn't fix it (ran it over half a dozen times).
    Disk Warrior made a valiant attempt, but could not write the corrected
    directory structure to disk. I even tried resetting some passwords,
    like the root password, but no luck their either.

    What I'm thinking, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on this, is to boot
    into single user mode and bring up the network. Then move all the files
    in her directory to a networked drive. Then I can reformat the disk and
    determine if I can even continue using it or whether I need to replace it.

    To do this, I need to bring up the network in single user mode -- is
    that possible? If so, can someone provide some hints -- I've not found
    any guides or advice in this regard though I've searched a number of
    sites and newsgroups. If you have a better way -- say a USB storage
    device -- I'd appreciate your recommendations (and syntax if I can be so
    bold to ask).

    Please post your response so all can benefit.

    Much obliged,

    Peter

    Peter Guest

  2. #2

    >What I'm thinking, and I'd appreciate your thoughts on this, is to boot

    It's unlikely you'll be able to do that.

    Do you have a desktop system or second laptop that has a FireWire port? If so,
    start the iMac in FireWire Target Disk Mode and connect it to your other
    computer. The damaged iBook will pop up as an external hard drive. You may be
    able to salvage some files that way.

    --
    Rude T-shirts for a rude age: http://www.villaintees.com
    http://www.xeromag.com/franklin.html

    Tacit Guest

  3. #3

    Tacit wrote:

    > It's unlikely you'll be able to do that.
    >
    > Do you have a desktop system or second laptop that has a FireWire port? If so,
    > start the iMac in FireWire Target Disk Mode and connect it to your other
    > computer. The damaged iBook will pop up as an external hard drive. You may be
    > able to salvage some files that way.
    >[/ref]
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try to find (beg, borrow, etc.) another
    system with FireWire. OTOH, a FireWire PCI card for my Win2K system is
    between $25 and $35, not too bad.

    Peter

    Peter Guest

  4. #4

    >OTOH, a FireWire PCI card for my Win2K system is

    That won'[t work--a PC can not mount a Mac volume, so your Windows machine will
    not be able to mount a Mac system in target disk mode.

  5. #5

    Tacit wrote:

    > That won'[t work--a PC can not mount a Mac volume, so your Windows machine will
    > not be able to mount a Mac system in target disk mode.
    >[/ref]
    Thanks for the heads up -- I'll have to find another Mac system.

    Peter Guest