Professional Web Applications Themes

Seeking e-mail program that makes mail private - Mac Networking

Do any of the Mac e-mail programs provide user privacy -- in other words, when you launch the program, it ask who you are, and you must supply a password, before it opens any windows where mail can be read or opened? (Or that doesn't allow you to open already retrieved e-mail without a password?) I now use Office X Entourage, but all it provides for is separate identities. You cannot send or retrieve another users e-mails, because each identity can have its own password for sending and retrieving mail. But anyone can read the mail already retreived and stored ...

  1. #1

    Default Seeking e-mail program that makes mail private

    Do any of the Mac e-mail programs provide user privacy -- in other
    words, when you launch the program, it ask who you are, and you must
    supply a password, before it opens any windows where mail can be read
    or opened? (Or that doesn't allow you to open already retrieved e-mail
    without a password?)

    I now use Office X Entourage, but all it provides for is separate
    identities. You cannot send or retrieve another users e-mails, because
    each identity can have its own password for sending and retrieving
    mail. But anyone can read the mail already retreived and stored by any
    identity. (I think Eudora calls these personalities, but it doesn't
    appear to have any way to make the mail of an identity private,
    either.)

    I'm looking for an e-mail progam that not only allows you to create
    separte identities (or pesonalities) for e-mail, but which also
    protects the content of each identity you may create.

    Any suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Steve
    Steven Fair Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Seeking e-mail program that makes mail private

    In article <280620030004379858%stevenospam.net>,
    Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    > I'm looking for an e-mail progam that not only allows you to create
    > separte identities (or pesonalities) for e-mail, but which also
    > protects the content of each identity you may create.
    That's what different users are for. You log in as you, you get access
    to your files. Your wife logs in as her, she gets access to *her* files.

    --
    Today, on Paper-view: Pulp Fiction!
    Howard S Shubs Guest

  3. #3

    In article <howard-9DD6EE.05010328062003enews.newsguy.com>, Howard S
    Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    > In article <280620030004379858%stevenospam.net>,
    > Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    >
    > > I'm looking for an e-mail progam that not only allows you to create
    > > separte identities (or pesonalities) for e-mail, but which also
    > > protects the content of each identity you may create.
    >
    > That's what different users are for. You log in as you, you get access
    > to your files. Your wife logs in as her, she gets access to *her* files.
    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, I understand that if I log
    out of OS X, then no one can get to my stuff, but if I've logged in,
    and my machine is sitting there, there's nothing to keep someone from
    double-clicking Entourage and reading my mail. In other words, I need
    a gatekeeper at the e-mail level, not just at the OS level. Entourage
    does allow different identities, but it does not require you to enter a
    password to activate any particular identity. That's what I'm looking
    for.

    So, unless I have misunderstood something, is there an e-mail program
    that does what I'm looking for: requre a password before it show
    *anyone* any files?

    thanks very much for your time,
    steve
    Steven Fair Guest

  4. #4

    Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> writes:
    > In article <howard-9DD6EE.05010328062003enews.newsguy.com>, Howard S
    > Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <280620030004379858%stevenospam.net>,
    > > Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm looking for an e-mail progam that not only allows you to create
    > > > separte identities (or pesonalities) for e-mail, but which also
    > > > protects the content of each identity you may create.
    > >
    > > That's what different users are for. You log in as you, you get access
    > > to your files. Your wife logs in as her, she gets access to *her* files.
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, I understand that if I log
    > out of OS X, then no one can get to my stuff, but if I've logged in,
    > and my machine is sitting there, there's nothing to keep someone from
    > double-clicking Entourage and reading my mail.
    Go to 'Screen Effects', set the time until screen effects starts short
    enough, and activate 'Use my user account password'. Viola, not only
    your mail, but all your docs are save now.

    Worried about the time between the moment you leave the machine and
    the moment Screen Effects pop in? Use a 'Hot Corner' to activate
    screen effects manually.

    HTH,

    Matthias

    Matthias Schroeder Guest

  5. #5

    In article <x94znk273ti.fsfpcopc24.cern.ch>, Matthias Schroeder
    <Matthias.Schrodercern.ch> wrote:
    > Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> writes:
    >
    > > In article <howard-9DD6EE.05010328062003enews.newsguy.com>, Howard S
    > > Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:

    > > > That's what different users are for. You log in as you, you get access
    > > > to your files. Your wife logs in as her, she gets access to *her* files.
    > >
    > > Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, I understand that if I log
    > > out of OS X, then no one can get to my stuff, but if I've logged in,
    > > and my machine is sitting there, there's nothing to keep someone from
    > > double-clicking Entourage and reading my mail.
    >
    > Go to 'Screen Effects', set the time until screen effects starts short
    > enough, and activate 'Use my user account password'. Viola, not only
    > your mail, but all your docs are save now.
    >
    > Worried about the time between the moment you leave the machine and
    > the moment Screen Effects pop in? Use a 'Hot Corner' to activate
    > screen effects manually.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Matthias

    Thanks for taking the time to reply. That's a good suggestion, and is
    definitely a good interim solution. But it's odd, isn't it, that no
    one (apparently) has made an e-mail program for that had the built in
    privacy feature I'm seeking. I guess most just figure the"users"
    feature and people having their own machines takes care of that.

    Still, it'd be a nice feature to add to Mail, Entourage, or Eudora.

    Steve
    Steven Fair Guest

  6. #6

    In article <280620030657429924%stevenospam.net>,
    Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    > In article <howard-9DD6EE.05010328062003enews.newsguy.com>, Howard S
    > Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <280620030004379858%stevenospam.net>,
    > > Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I'm looking for an e-mail progam that not only allows you to create
    > > > separte identities (or pesonalities) for e-mail, but which also
    > > > protects the content of each identity you may create.
    > >
    > > That's what different users are for. You log in as you, you get access
    > > to your files. Your wife logs in as her, she gets access to *her* files.
    >
    > Thanks for taking the time to reply. Yes, I understand that if I log
    > out of OS X, then no one can get to my stuff, but if I've logged in,
    > and my machine is sitting there, there's nothing to keep someone from
    > double-clicking Entourage and reading my mail. In other words, I need
    > a gatekeeper at the e-mail level, not just at the OS level. Entourage
    > does allow different identities, but it does not require you to enter a
    > password to activate any particular identity. That's what I'm looking
    > for.
    >
    > So, unless I have misunderstood something, is there an e-mail program
    > that does what I'm looking for: requre a password before it show
    > *anyone* any files?
    I can't think of anything that does what you want the way you want.
    However, you can set your screensaver (in Screen Effects) so that it
    won't deactivate without a password.

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

  7. #7

    In article <howard-4A5E60.11240328062003enews.newsguy.com>, Howard S
    Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    > The feature you're asking for isn't a function that a mail program
    > should have to provide.
    I'm not sure that's self-evident, but I respect your viewpoint. Thanks
    for taking the time to share it.
    Steven Fair Guest

  8. #8

    In article <afaber-30E2F6.12044028062003reader1.panix.com>, Alice
    Faber <afaberpanix.com> wrote:

    > I can't think of anything that does what you want the way you want.
    > However, you can set your screensaver (in Screen Effects) so that it
    > won't deactivate without a password.
    Yes, thanks, I'm definitely going to follow up on this great tip!
    Steven Fair Guest

  9. #9

    In article <0001HW.BB23408B000DB491F0284600news.earthlink.ne t>, James
    L. Ryan <taliesinsoftmac.com> wrote:
    > Methinks the capability you want will, in effect, be provided with Panther
    > where you can quickly switch between identities. Hang in there until
    > December!
    Isn't Panther exciting! I watched the whole Jobs QuickTime
    presentation, and I was n away by the new features in Panther. The
    audience couldn't keep itself from ooohing and breaking into laughter
    and applause when he demo'd the identiy switch function. (The humor in
    him pointing out that Windoze doing switching first was not lost on
    everyone. Leave it to Apple to make identity switching totally cool!)

    I also think that the Expose feature is going to be my favorite new
    feature. Juggling and shifting throug windows with half a dozen
    programs running wastes a lot time, Windoze or Mac. Once you see
    Expose demoed, you wonder why no one has done it before -- did it take
    the horsepower of Quartz Extreme to pull it off, I wonder?

    Anway, Panther is "da bomb." I am eagerly looking forward to it. And
    by the time I can afford another machine, next year, the G5 will still
    be the fastest personal computer *and* it will probably be running at 3
    Ghz or more. Life is good for us Apple users!

    Best wishes,
    Steve
    Steven Fair Guest

  10. #10

    In article <280620031322114083%stevenospam.net>, Steven Fair
    <stevenospam.net> wrote:

    > The feature you're asking for isn't a function that a mail program
    > should have to provide.

    I'm not sure that's self-evident, but I respect your viewpoint. Thanks
    for taking the time to share it.

    It certainly is.

    This sounds to me like you're new to computers.

    You might consider learning more about them and how they work in the
    real world before you start suggesting ways to improve them.

    --
    "We're going to rush the hijackers."
    -Jeremy Glick, aboard United Airlines flight 93, September 11, 2001
    Jammer Six Guest

  11. #11

    In article <bdl6hq$hcq$2216.39.146.232>, Jammer Six
    <jammerinvalid.oz.net> wrote:
    > In article <280620031322114083%stevenospam.net>, Steven Fair
    > <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    >
    > > The feature you're asking for isn't a function that a mail program
    > > should have to provide.
    >
    > I'm not sure that's self-evident, but I respect your viewpoint. Thanks
    > for taking the time to share it.
    >
    > It certainly is.
    >
    > This sounds to me like you're new to computers.
    >
    > You might consider learning more about them and how they work in the
    > real world before you start suggesting ways to improve them.
    Thank you for your kind suggestion.
    Steven Fair Guest

  12. #12

    In article <280620032023562388%stevenospam.net>,
    Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    > Thank you for your kind suggestion.
    The issue is security, and the answer is *not* each program having its
    own security solution. The answer is provided by the system software.
    You need, it seems to me, to learn how to make use of that.

    That's related to the issue of "consistancy" and not having to reinvent
    the wheel every day. Security issues like this are handled by the OS.
    You've been told about the methods involved in using those facilities.
    It's like this on the Mac, the Windows boxen, the large OSs used in
    production shops, and older systems.

    Securing e-mail all by itself makes little sense.

  13. #13

    In article <howard-A25361.22104828062003enews.newsguy.com>, Howard S
    Shubs <howardshubs.net> wrote:
    > The issue is security, and the answer is *not* each program having its
    > own security solution
    That's interesting. I guess I had better not use my password any more
    on Notepad Deluxe! And I guess I better stop using passwords in Word!
    No need for each program to have its *own* security solution, if the
    programmer or user wants that. Oh, and I guess I had better stop using
    PGP -- it provides a security solution for a *whole bunch* of programs.
    Naughty, naughty! Oh, and I almost forgot, also better toss SecureFM
    for FileMaker Pro! You're right. Better leave all security to the
    system! We newcomers have so much to learn.
    Steven Fair Guest

  14. #14

    In article <280620032319116747%stevenospam.net>, Steven Fair
    <stevenospam.net> wrote:

    We newcomers have so much to learn.

    We know.

    --
    "Let's roll!"
    -Todd Beamer, aboard United Airlines flight 93, September 11, 2001
    Jammer Six Guest

  15. #15

    In article <280620032319116747%stevenospam.net>,
    Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    > Better leave all security to the
    > system! We newcomers have so much to learn.
    Yup, eventually, you'll get it.

  16. #16

    Alice Faber <afaberpanix.com> wrote:
    > I can't think of anything that does what you want the way you want.
    > However, you can set your screensaver (in Screen Effects) so that it
    > won't deactivate without a password.
    And don't forget to desactivate the auto-login feature, otherwise I
    guess that a simple reboot allows access to your files again, bypassing
    the password-protected screen saver.

    --
    Serge Pajak
    Serge Pajak Guest

  17. #17

    In article <0001HW.BB24E71604A988D7F0284600news.ozemail.com. au>,
    Martin Crisp <Spam.Buckettesseract.com.au> wrote:
    > The difference between it and Eudora etc is the target audience -
    > Notes is intended for medium to large business and government
    > organisations rather than individuals/families. [And consequently
    > requires a fairly beefy investment in hardware and software]
    Yeah, I've heard of Lotus Notes. It's definitely not something I'd
    recommend for a single user. <grin> Didn't know it had that kind of
    security, though. There are a few products which compete with it, too.

  18. #18

    In article <0001HW.BB24E71604A988D7F0284600news.ozemail.com. au>,
    Martin Crisp <Spam.Buckettesseract.com.au> wrote:
    > Lotus Notes (Mac, Windows, unices).
    > Though it's far more than an email app, and requires such security
    > because of its wider abilities.
    >
    > User would provide password at launch, user could specify how long
    > before inactivity triggered reverification of ID, user could
    > immediately activate the need for reverification (F5, if memory
    > serves). User could give various permissions to other users or
    > groups of users, user could encrypt mail on the server to ensure
    > people like me couldn't read it :-).
    Martin,

    Thanks for taking the time to reply. Actually, I use Lotus Notes at
    the publishing company I work for, and as you describe, you have to
    supply a password to use the program when it first starts up on your
    individual machine.

    Alas, it's also just a clunky to use as you describe and not, as you
    point out, a very good indivdual solution.

    I don't know if it's been ported to OSX, but on OS 9 I used Intego's
    FileGuard, and it allowed me to do exactly what I'm looking for. With
    File Guard running, you can require a password on virtually anything
    you want to open or use-- files, apps, folders, whatever. It was
    pretty nifty, but prone to bugs, at least in my experience. OSX has
    obviously obviated much of, if not all of, the need for something like
    File Guard, as Mr. Shubs has so kindly and intelligently pointed out.

    Of course, for other very simple kinds of security, not provided by the
    System, I just use Stuffit Dexluxe to encrypt with password. I've also
    been thiking about looking into SubRosa's nice suite of security
    utilities, which provide some heavy-duty encryption.

    Thanks again for helping,

    Best wishes,
    Steve
    Steven Fair Guest

  19. #19

    <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    > Do any of the Mac e-mail programs provide user privacy -- in other
    > words, when you launch the program, it ask who you are, and you must
    > supply a password, before it opens any windows where mail can be read
    > or opened? (Or that doesn't allow you to open already retrieved e-mail
    > without a password?)
    >
    > I now use Office X Entourage, but all it provides for is separate
    > identities. You cannot send or retrieve another users e-mails, because
    > each identity can have its own password for sending and retrieving
    > mail. But anyone can read the mail already retreived and stored by any
    > identity. (I think Eudora calls these personalities, but it doesn't
    > appear to have any way to make the mail of an identity private,
    > either.)
    >
    > I'm looking for an e-mail progam that not only allows you to create
    > separte identities (or pesonalities) for e-mail, but which also
    > protects the content of each identity you may create.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    > Thanks,
    > Steve
    With SweetMail, you can create a 'Mailbox' for each user. Only mail
    that pertains to that user is in the mailbox [a folder] and only
    accounts in that mailbox are checked when it is active. Each user
    launches the app by launching their mailbox. If you protect each
    mailbox the way you would protect any personal file, you don't even
    have to enter a password when checking mail if you don't want to. Each
    can only download and see their own mail.

    I don't think the product is supported anymore but there is an OSX Vs.
    SweetMail doesn't do html but there's an anti-spam benefit to that. I
    prefer to launch html mail in my browser first anyway - offline. I get
    about 2 spams a month and I delete them from the server without
    downloading them by using the Remote Mail option. It also has plenty
    of bells and whistles: threaded view, filters, templates, search ALL
    messages by keword in the address, subject or content, view only Unread
    Mail, smart unwrap/rewrap of quoted text, modify quotation levels,
    reassign threads... etc., etc., and I don't think it is crippleware.
    bchan Guest

  20. #20

    In article <290620031310061747%stevenospam.net>,
    Steven Fair <stevenospam.net> wrote:
    > I don't know if it's been ported to OSX, but on OS 9 I used Intego's
    > FileGuard, and it allowed me to do exactly what I'm looking for. With
    I cannot tell whether this helps you but are you aware of the file
    encryption available in Mac OSX?

    You can create a disk image (eg 10 MB) that is encrypted with AES (good
    enough for most people).
    Now when you mount this volume, you have to supply a passphrase.
    You can put any files in this volume, also eg your favorite e-mail
    programme's files.

    In combination with automatically locking the screen (also hot corner)
    and requiring a passphrase when loggin in, this protects any file rather
    well.

    If anyone restarts your system, your encrypted volume will be just that
    - encrypted.

    From information about next Mac OSX release (Panther, 10.3) you will be
    able to encrypt your home directory, making it even simpler.

    HTH

    Marc

    --
    Marc Heusser - Zurich, Switzerland
    Coaching - Consulting - Counselling - Psychotherapy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast