Professional Web Applications Themes

Select objects with the same fill and stroke - Macromedia Freehand

I find myself switching to Illustrator for when I need to select objects of the same stroke and fill (and variations) How do I do this in Freehand?...

  1. #1

    Default Select objects with the same fill and stroke

    I find myself switching to Illustrator for when I need to select objects of the same stroke and fill (and variations) How do I do this in Freehand?
    Kylenak Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Select objects with the same fill and stroke

    Familiarize yourself with the Graphic Find & Replace feature. (Edit:Find &
    Replace: Graphics). Get intimately familiar with both the Select and Find &
    Replace tabs of this palette. It is VASTLY more powerful than Illustrator's
    very limited set of selection options. There are alot of reasons to launch
    Illustrator, but being able to do criteria selections is certainly not one
    of them.

    Aside: I really believe things like this are case-in-point to the
    consequence software vendors are going to pay for cheaping out on printed
    doentation. Major features and competitive advantages are completely
    overlooked by all except those already familiar with previous versions. How
    many new FH users take a cursory look at the program because it came bundled
    with a software suite, and dismiss it as soon as the "new" wears off,
    having never even been exposed to its real strengths?

    Online help is a necessary reference, but a very poor way to get familiar
    with a "new to me" program. It does not serve the purpose of printed
    manuals, and I don't think it ever will. I think the user base of any
    graphics software already in a "number 2" market position and which ships
    without a printed manual is almost destined to shrink, let alone ever
    increase to serioiusly threaten number 1. There are so many mediocre
    products in the number 1 popularity slots, and I really believe the current
    trend to cheap out on manuals will only perpetuate that.

    JET

    James E. Talmage Guest

  3. #3

    James:

    Firstly, thanks! I saw the pallette, and, well, ain't that purdy handsome!

    As for printed doentation: I was dreading an "RTFM" response -- but took
    solace that the online help didn't answer the question, when posed; "select
    objects same fill stroke" I tried several variations but none answered my
    question. It's not the first time that the manner of my question formation
    failed to provide the correct response, or as you suggest, it isn't in there. I
    like both printed and electronic doentation. I honestly never thought to
    crack the 380 page manual from Macromedia. My experience so far with it is that
    it is too generalized and trying to straddle too much conceptual territory.
    While Jaguar's help system is the best Mac OS X help system yet, I hate to say
    it, Windows help system, while not as pretty, is much, much quicker in terms of
    response to questions.

    Thanks again!
    Kyle

    Kylenak Guest

  4. #4

    James, I completely agree with you. I often go to Online Help files to look
    for the info needed by someone who posts on this forum. Half the time I
    can't find anything -- either because a commonly used term will not bring up
    info, or because the info is entirely missing.

    Judy Arndt

    James E. Talmage wrote:
    > Aside: I really believe things like this are case-in-point to the
    > consequence software vendors are going to pay for cheaping out on printed
    > doentation. Major features and competitive advantages are completely
    > overlooked by all except those already familiar with previous versions.
    Judy Arndt Guest