Professional Web Applications Themes

selecting and cutting an object in elements - Adobe Photoshop Elements

How do I select just a subjects face in a photo and remove it or remove the baclground around it so I can add a different background?...

  1. #1

    Default selecting and cutting an object in elements

    How do I select just a subjects face in a photo and remove it or remove the baclground around it so I can add a different background?
    andrews cowan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: selecting and cutting an object in elements

    first thing to do is double click on your 'background' layer in the layers palette..a pop up will appear asking you to rename the layer..click OK. Now you have an editable layer. Use the lasso tool and make the selection around the face >select inverse>delete. You can set the lasso to feather at 1 pixel if you want...this will give it a softer edge. For a more precise selection with the lasso tool ..zoom in close and follow the line as close as you can...hold down space bar while keeping you finger down on the mouse..this will give you the 'hand' to move the image around on the screen without loosing your spot...let go of space bar but keep your finger down on mouse to the spot you left off with lasso tool...it will return to lasso tool. Seems tricky but it's not ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest

  3. #3

    more...i probably should have told you how to move that head over to another image. Bring the second image in...in toolbar>window>chose tile...this will put both images directly next to each other ( of course you can drag the blue default frames manually as well ) with the 'head' layer selected just click on the 'move' tool and drag the head over to the second image. Move it around at will.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks, Jodi.
    Also, how do I use the area selected with the want tool to grab some "background" from another area of the photo so that it will paste directly over or into the area that I have selected? In other words, I want to take out an object and replace with some complicated background material using the same shape.
    Jeryl
    [email]jzmelpaol.com[/email]
    JERYL MARCUS Guest

  5. #5

    Jeryl, sorry i didn't get back sooner. Had server problems yesterday and couldn't get on t'il this morning. I'm not exactly sure what the substance is of the area you want to copy and move but you can use anyone of the selection tools and do a layer>new layer>layer via copy..( PE1 ctrl+J) and then you can move the new layer anywhere you want and merge it to your image. Magic wand is best used for picking up similar/same color dots. There are other alternatives to your needs if you want to go a little deeper with this program. You can make a selection of your image with the rec marquee tool go to toolbar> edit>define pattern, click ok. Then use the pattern clone tool and stamp away using your new pattern which will be in your patterns somewhere ( depends on which set you had open last ). I have to stop myself here before i come up with more alternatives. Let me know if you need more assistance.

    Oh, I would like anyone to answer Jeryl if I'm not around. Somewhat busy day today.
    Jodi Frye Guest