Professional Web Applications Themes

Selecting stacked objects - beginner - Macromedia Freehand

I am using Freehand 10.01 (Windows). I'm modifying some .wmf clipart made up of stacked objects some of which, higher up the stack, are completely surrounded by those lower down. When trying to select multiple objects with <shift>+pointer any selected object lower down the stack is deselected if the area I click in on the next object overlaps. The only way to successfully select all the overlapping objects I want is to work up the stack which can be a pain as the stacking order of objects is not always apparent. Is there a way round this? i.e. for the ...

  1. #1

    Default Selecting stacked objects - beginner

    I am using Freehand 10.01 (Windows). I'm modifying some .wmf clipart made up of
    stacked objects some of which, higher up the stack, are completely surrounded
    by those lower down. When trying to select multiple objects with
    <shift>+pointer any selected object lower down the stack is deselected if the
    area I click in on the next object overlaps.

    The only way to successfully select all the overlapping objects I want is to
    work up the stack which can be a pain as the stacking order of objects is not
    always apparent.

    Is there a way round this? i.e. for the pointer only to affect the object it
    is clicked on rather than selected objects futher down the stack?

    Thanks for any help,
    Paul

    P.Jay Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Selecting stacked objects - beginner

    Paul,

    You may want to split up your objects on different layers, you could then
    hide or lock those layers as needed. I always find this useful when working
    with numerous overlapping objects, it makes for a more efficient workflow to
    set up your doent that way from the start. If you are inheriting the
    doent you will have to create some new layers and move objects into the
    new layers.

    You may also want to experiment with CTRL + right click which allows you to
    select an object below another.

    mg

    "P.Jay" <com> wrote in message
    up of
    surrounded
    the
    not
    it

    Martin Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for the reply MG,

    The items are pieces of Windows Metafile (WMF) clipart that I am modifying so
    they have no layer information. It is very frustrating to have Freehand
    deselect an object when <shift>clicking on an overlapping object above (instead
    of adding the object to the selection).

    I was wondering if there is a way around this. The pointer tool has a 'Contact
    Sensitive' option (which I can't find anything about in the manual) which I
    thought might limit selection/deselection to the object the pointer is in
    contact with, but it doesn't.

    Thanks again for the help.
    Paul

    P.Jay Guest

  4. #4

    Paul,

    As I indicated, you will need to create the new layers and move objects into
    them in order to take advantage of this approach.

    Contact sensitivity has to do with dragging a selection markee around
    objects. With it unchecked, an object will only be selected if it is
    conpletely enclosed by the selection box. With it checked, dragging the
    selection markee will result in all object touched/intersected by the
    marquee.

    The selection tool behaves normally to me, Shift-clicking is used to add
    objects to a selection, re-clicking the same object with shif-select removes
    it from the selection. If your bottom object has a fill and your top object
    is only an outline the scenario you describe is probably likely. You just
    need to be precise in clicking on paths. If you are using FHMX you may want
    to turn on your snap to object option. (View - Snap to object)

    mg

    "P.Jay" <com> wrote in message
    modifying so
    (instead