Professional Web Applications Themes

Selecting with layers... - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I am a little confused... I decided to play more with layers today. I had a picture of a pink spiral heart on a white wall. I made a levels adjustment layer and played with it until the monitor looked pretty close to what the wall looked like. Then I wanted to play with just the heart. So I made a new layer, (on top of the adjustment layer in the layers palette) and used the magic want to select the heart. However, when I tried to play with the heart (using filter effects) PSE 2.0 kept telling me I ...

  1. #1

    Default Selecting with layers...

    I am a little confused... I decided to play more with layers today. I
    had a picture of a pink spiral heart on a white wall. I made a levels
    adjustment layer and played with it until the monitor looked pretty
    close to what the wall looked like. Then I wanted to play with just the
    heart. So I made a new layer, (on top of the adjustment layer in the
    layers palette) and used the magic want to select the heart. However,
    when I tried to play with the heart (using filter effects) PSE 2.0 kept
    telling me I had no pixels selected when I clearly had marching ants on
    my screen.

    Eventually I made a duplicate layer of the background layer (between the
    background layer and the levels adjustment layer) and selected the heart
    on it and was able to play with the filters.

    At one point I tried selecting just the heart and making a "layer from
    copy" but it wouldn't let me do that either.

    Are there some rules that apply to selecting in relation to layers? And,
    if there are, can you tell me what they are?

    What I really wanted to do was create just a copy of the heart after
    making the levels adjustment.

    Thanks,
    Trish

    Tricia_Roush@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Selecting with layers...

    If you have done an adjustment layer and then want to do a selection out of the background with the adjustment in effect, you're going to have to merge the background and adjustment layers first. I'm such a conservative, that I'd probably make a duplicate copy before I did the merge, just in case I changed my mind later. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    If you have done an adjustment layer and then want to do a selection out of the background with the adjustment in effect, you're going to have to merge the background and adjustment layers first.

    The only real "rule" that would apply to this situation is that in order to make a selection, you have to be on the layer that contains the image. In this case, at firsts you must have had the adjustment layer active. If you'd had the background layer active, you would have been able to do the selection, but it wouldn't have the adjustment with it. Ah, yes, and background layers (e.g. the original image) should be simplified before you start playing with layers.

    This is a little disjointed, so....

    Open your original image

    Double click on it to "simplify" it

    Do your adjustment layer

    If you want a selection that includes the adjustments you've made, merge the background and adjustment layers before starting beginning the selection.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Trish, if you just created the new layer it was empty and contained no
    pixels - hence the message you got. One way to approach would have been:

    1. Create a duplicate layer.
    2. Create a levels adjustment layer and get it to look like you want it to.
    3. Merge down the levels and duplicate layers ( leaving the original
    unmerged for safety)
    4. Select the heart on that layer.
    5. Do a Layer<New Layer from Copy to move the heart to its own layer.

    There may be easier ways but that's one.

    Chuck

    Chuck_Snyder@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Beth, we're in sync again...

    :-)

  6. #6

    Tricia,

    The "No Pixels Selected" error and I are old friends... :)

    In the situation as you described it, you were getting it because you were
    working on an empty layer. The magic wand has a setting to "use all
    layers". It was seeing through the top two layers, and creating a selection
    based on the visible image. So, even though you had marching ants, they
    were not surrounding anything on the current layer.

    When I get that error, now, I first look at the layers palette to see which
    is selected. If it's an adjustment layer, or a new, empty layer, you can
    simply click on the actual desired layer without losing the selection.

    In your example, after selecting the heart with the wand and getting the No
    Pixels message, you could have simply clicked on your base image layer, and
    then gone ahead with applying filters to the heart (targeted by the
    selection), or creating a new heart-only layer with Layer-New-Via Copy.

    I'm sure that almost everyone struggles with this concept in the early
    phases of learning PSE. Just remember to check which layer is active.
    Before you know it, it will be automatic and you'll seldom have to think
    about it.

    HTH,

    Byron

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    LOL!!!

    There was no reply to Trish's post when I began typing... took me so long
    that now there are FOUR!!

    -B

    Byron_Gale@adobeforums.com Guest

  8. #8

    Well, there would have been one less post if I hadn't forgotten I'd hit post after the first paragraph. Geez. This really hasn't been one of my better days. I should probably just turn off the computer and give up. And I thought my nap would help.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  9. #9

    Okay,

    So, I should make a duplicate layer, applied my levels adjustment,
    merged those two, then selected my heart, and finally layer -> new via
    copy to just get a copy of the heart on a layer by itself.

    My final palette would look like:

    - Copy of Heart Only (at the top)
    - Duplicate of background/merged levels adjustment
    - Background (containing original picture)

    Some of those effects are really cool. A lot simpler than me trying to
    do it myself :-) Some of the gradient effects had some wild effects on
    my heart.