Professional Web Applications Themes

semi OT -- Camera shake - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I'm busy trying to make friends with my new canon s400 and I am having the devil of a time with it in macro mode because of the dreaded camera shake. It takes phenomenal photos at those settings if I can hold the durn thing still enough, but as an old SLR person I'm too used to being able to brace the camera against my face, and with the digi about half the time when I'm using the lcd as the viewfinder an otherwise good shot is out of focus. Obviously a tripod would help, but it's kind of hard ...

  1. #1

    Default semi OT -- Camera shake

    I'm busy trying to make friends with my new canon s400 and I am having the devil of a time with it in macro mode because of the dreaded camera shake.

    It takes phenomenal photos at those settings if I can hold the durn thing still enough, but as an old SLR person I'm too used to being able to brace the camera against my face, and with the digi about half the time when I'm using the lcd as the viewfinder an otherwise good shot is out of focus.

    Obviously a tripod would help, but it's kind of hard to get butterflies and lizards to hold still while I set one up. Any suggestions?
    Barbara Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: semi OT -- Camera shake

    Barbara, I know what you mean - I've recorded a number of 'shaky' images
    over the last year. A cfew suggestions:

    1. Instead of a tripod, you might want to try a telescoping monopod; it
    doesn't eliminate all the potential for motion but it's a little easier to
    use.
    2. Play with the tradeoff of shutter speed and aperture, going for a little
    higher shutter speed while sacrificing some depth of field via larger lens
    openings. This is tougher to do in the macro world, where depth of field is
    at a premium anyway. Maybe, though, when you're dealing with images in
    bright sunlight you can get away with it.
    3. Another alternative with its own set of issues is bumping up the
    apparent 'film speed' of the camera. Your s400 can be adjusted to the
    equivalent of ISO 50, 100, 200, and 400. Moving up to 200 or 400 would give
    you a faster shutter speed without sacrificing depth of field. However,
    there's no free lunch; the images captured at 200 and 400 are apt to be
    noticeably noisier...

    FWIW

    Chuck

    Chuck Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks, Chuck. It seems like the potentially great shots are usually the ones where there's just not time for something like a monopod/tripod. I was out back just now and could have had a wonderful pic of a gecko getting ready to jump from a leather fern to a hibiscus, but it still takes me so darn long to find the adjustments on this thing. Rats. I suppose I'll be faster once I don't keep resetting the wrong thing first.
    I'm horribly tempted to leave in "auto' mode and go back to instamatic days. 8^)
    Barbara Guest

  4. #4

    Barbara, the probably worst invention in photo history is the LCD to be used as a viewfinder. But, don't give up! There is a light shining at the horizon.
    There is a rather good solution at this Dutch website with a translation in English: <http://www.xs4all.nl/~wiskerke/artikelen/string.html>
    BTW, i worte this before, this website is mainly in Dutch, but part of it is in English and it contains a wealth of information and useful links.
    Well worth visiting.

    Leen
    Leen Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ray Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    Hi, Leen. I remember that one well from my old Nikon days. Guess I'll have to revive it for the canon. Thanks!
    Barbara Guest

  7. #7

    Raymond,

    Thank you for the rope idea.
    I'll give that one a try.

    Robert
    Schraven Guest

  8. #8

    Hi, Ray. Thanks. I didn't see your post when I replied. We must have been posting at the same time. Yes, that's pretty much what Leen's article was suggesting, too.
    Barbara Guest

  9. #9

    Ray

    Leen has show what I suggested and in some ways it may be a bit better.
    The string will have a certain give therefore the tension can be varied.
    The string may be more sensitive to nicely polished floors.

    Barbara

    A friend of mine that takes really kick a$$ photos captures the insect then
    chills them in the refrigerator. The sure calm down and he can work in
    leisure. Once the insect has warmed he can release it .... or re-cools it
    if he is really trying to be evil.

    Grant

    Grant Guest

  10. #10

    Grant, i have read of this practise years ago. From tree frogs to lizards to crickets. It's just plain cruel and ridiculous. Freeze something so it wont get away...ya, that's a real pro photog...NOT ! mo
    JodiFrye Guest

  11. #11

    Jodi

    You don't freeze them you chill them. You only freeze Mosquitoes ;-)

    Grant

    Grant Guest

  12. #12

    oh, I see you said 'refrigerator' and not 'freezer'...not so bad but still...most of the fun is getting the picture the hard way !!!
    JodiFrye Guest

  13. #13

    Grant, I guess it would just seem boring to me to 'pose' a tree frog for that shot. I would not feel like I really got 'the shot'...no matter how good it looks. That's just me...i guess some people don't care about that stuff....only the end result. ...kind of like a 'forced smile' in a posed portrait....yuck !
    JodiFrye Guest

  14. #14

    If I ever catch anybody "chilling" a frog in my refrigerator, they're going to wish they'd never heard of such a thing. :)
    Beth Guest

  15. #15

    JodiFrye Guest

  16. #16

    Well, I've always thought Audobon's reputation was pretty ironic, given that he shot the birds and then put them back together and wired them up to draw them.
    Barbara Guest

  17. #17

    Hey, another classic thread drift!
    Barbara Guest

  18. #18

    Barb, How 'bout Leonardo DaVinci ? He carefully ripped the skin off of people to draw there muscles....imagine, did he kill them first ? lol

    there
    JodiFrye Guest

  19. #19

    No...he robbed graves.... and later, paid others to do it for him.....
    but, then, so did most medical researchers up until the beginning of
    the 20th century.

    The practice was widespread--- Cadavers were shipped to MCV (Medical
    College of Virginia) in casks of whiskey-- which was then sold and consumed.

    Just a little historical gross out on a Sat. night. :-D

    "JodiFrye" <net> wrote in message
    people to draw there muscles....imagine, did he kill them first ? lol

    JP Guest

  20. #20

    I was going to say 'chill out' Jodi....

    'cept I agree.