Professional Web Applications Themes

(Semi-OT) CS refresher for a Unix sysadmin - Linux / Unix Administration

Hello, long time lurker here... I have been working as Unix sysadmin and consultant for ~10 years, and in the process I have forgotten a bunch of stuff from my University days. I was planning on getting some books to study at home, the idea is not to go too deep into any subject but to get some info that will help me become a more well-rounded professional. So, can anybody recommend some good refresher books on: 1) Math in general -- I planned to get Knuth's Concrete Mathematics and see if I can handle it. Any other recommendations? 2) ...

  1. #1

    Default (Semi-OT) CS refresher for a Unix sysadmin

    Hello, long time lurker here...

    I have been working as Unix sysadmin and consultant for ~10 years, and
    in the process I have forgotten a bunch of stuff from my University
    days.

    I was planning on getting some books to study at home, the idea is not
    to go too deep into any subject but to get some info that will help me
    become a more well-rounded professional.

    So, can anybody recommend some good refresher books on:

    1) Math in general -- I planned to get Knuth's Concrete Mathematics and
    see if I can handle it. Any other recommendations?

    2) Computer architecture -- interrupts, DMA, all that stuff. Something
    PC-oriented would be best.

    3) Operating systems -- I guess I should get the Tanenbaum here, unless
    somebody can recommenda a lighter, more Unix- and Windows-centric
    alternative.

    4) Networking (that would be the ISO stack and TCP/IP -- I guess a
    refresher of X.25 and SNA is no longer needed)

    That would be it for now. I guess things like algorithms, compilers,
    DB's, computability theory, etc. will have to wait until I get the
    basics back in place. Well I *might* go back and write a Yacc pr
    just for kicks...

    Any recommendations are greatly appreciated. Also, if this is not the
    right newsgroup to post, please let me know of any alternative.

    Many thanks in advance,

    Unix Worker

    Unix Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: (Semi-OT) CS refresher for a Unix sysadmin

    Begin <googlegroups.com>
    On 2006-03-27, Unix Worker <com> wrote:

    Well, Tanenbaum _is_ a university level text. There's no architecture in
    windows to speak of, so I'd not waste my time trying to understand it.
    As to unix, there's the daemon book, now in FreeBSD edition. Don't know
    about a newer version of the Lions book, altough undoubtedly there'll be
    Solaris architecture manuals around.

    Tanenbaum (on networking) is good here also, then add the apropriate
    RFCs. Programming -- Stevens, still, altough there is an updated edition.

    jpd Guest

  3. #3

    Unix Worker wrote:

    The theory stuff doesn't make its appearance every week
    on the job, but when it does it really separates the boys
    from the men. When facing something new the one who
    knows theory can figure stuff out on the fly, the one does
    not has to start at the beginning of the manual and lear
    nfrom scratch. The difference in pickup and figure-out
    time is large. It is a VERY good idea to learn the theory
    stuff and/or to refresh it.

    Simple algorthym - Go to the local university's book store. Get
    their catalog and look up the curiculum for their CS department.
    Start at their first CS course, look at the textbooks, decide if
    you want to buy it. Is it too beginner for you, or too advanced
    for you? Move up or down the course list. Lather rinse repeat
    until you have selected a text. Then read that one. Lather
    rinse repeat for as many texts as you think appropriate for your
    refresh efforts. I like to do a text like this most years.

    The advantage of such a process is it tends to be more
    current than any one person on the newsgroup. The
    disadvantage is since you're on your own doing the book
    study it's less in-depth than you'd need to finish the actual
    credit bearing course. Arguably it's a great idea to treat the
    process as if you are required to doent CEUs to keep your
    license current. Not that we needs licenses so you'd be
    pretending to maintain a CEU transcript, but the discpline gives
    structure.

    I try to stay current by doing an occasional calculus or
    algebra problem. Knuth should beat my strategy.

    Consider scanning the A+ certification material. Likely
    too basic but if all you're doing is a refresh ...

    Tannenbaum rules.

    Did you ever get the volumes from Douglas Comer et al? If
    so then consider the material for Cisco's CCNA and CCDP.
    They are more pragmatic so it depends on your current goals.

    I'd like suggestions on a beginner book in DB theory. I know
    enough database architecture to consult on Oracle migration
    gigs and I can play a DBA on TV if it's limited to light duty
    vacation coverage, but my database knowledge lacks theory.

    Do you have an actual application in mind rather than such an
    academic excerise? Every so often I come across something
    I'd like to code but never have time/priority for it. There they
    usually more PC oriented widgets than good UNIX practice.

    It's the right newsgroup IMO. Also maybe comp.unix.programmer
    or wander around and find one where CS curicula are discussed.

    Doug Guest

  4. #4

    Great recommendations! Thanks jpd & Doug!

    UW

    Unix Guest