Professional Web Applications Themes

Semi-Transparent Overlay? - Macromedia Freehand

I have a circle (10% Black fill) that is being overlapped by a triangle (CVC Yellow 100% fill, on a separate layer). I am trying to make the fill of the triangle semi-transparent so that the text and content of the circle are visible through the yellow fill. How do I do this? Is it possible? If its not possible, then can you tell me how to "cut a hole" in the fill of the triangle so that the circle beneath it is wholly visible? I'm using FHMX on a Mac. Thanks for your help. Matthew...

  1. #1

    Default Semi-Transparent Overlay?

    I have a circle (10% Black fill) that is being overlapped by a triangle (CVC
    Yellow 100% fill, on a separate layer). I am trying to make the fill of the
    triangle semi-transparent so that the text and content of the circle are
    visible through the yellow fill. How do I do this? Is it possible?

    If its not possible, then can you tell me how to "cut a hole" in the fill of
    the triangle so that the circle beneath it is wholly visible?

    I'm using FHMX on a Mac.

    Thanks for your help.

    Matthew

    schooloffish Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Semi-Transparent Overlay?

    There used to be a transparency filter in previous versions of FH, though I
    haven't seen it in MX. This would create a shape where the two elements
    overlapped and would allow a "transparency" effect wherein the designer could
    adjust the degree of opacity from each of the respective elements.
    Without it though, you can do the same thing yourself in a few more steps.
    With both of your shapes selected, select Xtras / Path Operations /
    Divide
    , this will split the two objects into three shapes, consisting of
    the two originals and a third where they overlapped. Now you can add color or
    gradient effects to the new shape to create the look you want.
    If you want to "cut a hole" in the triangle, then duplicate the circle in
    place (Command + Shift + D) and move the duplicate to the foreground.
    With the new circle still selected, select the triangle then either select
    Xtras / Path Operations / Punch or Join (Command + J),
    this will punch out the circle shape through the triangle. Bear in mind, the
    Join command will only work if the circle is not touching the edge of
    the triangle

    BAD

    arrowd Guest

  3. #3

    Will this job be separated, printed to the two spot inks, black and yellow?
    If so, you'll have to use Arrowd's method and set the intersecting shape to
    overprint. FHMX does not mix spot colors.

    For CMYK output you could use a lens fill. For RGB raster image output you
    could use a Transparency Effect.

    Judy Arndt

    schooloffish wrote:
    > I have a circle (10% Black fill) that is being overlapped by a triangle (CVC
    > Yellow 100% fill, on a separate layer). I am trying to make the fill of the
    > triangle semi-transparent so that the text and content of the circle are
    > visible through the yellow fill. How do I do this? Is it possible?
    Judy Arndt Guest