Professional Web Applications Themes

sending email from CF - Coldfusion - Getting Started

i'm struggling to get mail send from my cf server. the network is managed by someone else who tells me that the server is set to send email to the mail server. In CF I have the mail set with webmaster:****abc123.com when i click to verify it fails. I brought this to the net admin. He said it's CF server not the mailserver or firewall/router etc. W2K server / CFMX 7.x I need some info on what I need to have him do on the net to make this W2K/CF server send out email. Thanks in advance!...

  1. #1

    Default sending email from CF

    i'm struggling to get mail send from my cf server. the network is managed by
    someone else who tells me that the server is set to send email to the mail
    server. In CF I have the mail set with webmaster:****abc123.com

    when i click to verify it fails. I brought this to the net admin. He said
    it's CF server not the mailserver or firewall/router etc.

    W2K server / CFMX 7.x

    I need some info on what I need to have him do on the net to make this
    W2K/CF server send out email.

    Thanks in advance!

    sc Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: sending email from CF

    If you code and run some cfmail code, what happens?

    Originally posted by: Newsgroup User
    i'm struggling to get mail send from my cf server. the network is managed by
    someone else who tells me that the server is set to send email to the mail
    server. In CF I have the mail set with webmaster:****abc123.com

    when i click to verify it fails. I brought this to the net admin. He said
    it's CF server not the mailserver or firewall/router etc.

    W2K server / CFMX 7.x

    I need some info on what I need to have him do on the net to make this
    W2K/CF server send out email.

    Thanks in advance!

    Dan Guest

  3. #3

    Hi

    Or else...if possible you can give the IP address of the mail server. so that it will works fine.
    try out this.

    vkunirs Guest

  4. #4

    On my installations I just provide the machine name of the mail server such as
    domain\machine.

    When you click to test the installation it fails? Can you ping the mail server
    using the name or IP address you are entering into the server name field?

    tclaremont Guest

  5. #5

    Hi All!

    I've been trying to find a solutions to this issue for a week now. the
    situation is I can't send email from CF forms/server. I have a mail server
    (mail.server1.com - fake name for post) and a W2K server with CF MX 7.
    From W2K server using any email client, I can send/received emails from
    mail.server1.com. In CF MX7 admin mail setting no matter what I put the
    verification fails. I've used the IP address, name of the server, and
    webmaster:server1.com and it all failed to verify/connect.
    And I cannot from the command line connect with telnet mail.server1.com 25.
    I can PING the IP/Name of the email server.

    The network admin said they've confirmed that the email server is set to
    accept email from the CFMX server. The IIS SMTP service is running on the
    W2K server. (Do I need to sent anything on the IIS SMTP?) I'm at a lost
    because the Network Adminstrators says all is OK on their end. So, can you
    give me some clue what how to determine if it's CF/W2K or in fact the
    network. So I can present my case to them again.

    I have a simple test form: <cfmail from=server1.com
    to="server1.com subject="Requested Files" >
    this is a test</cfmail>

    ERROR:

    The web site you are accessing has experienced an unexpected error.
    Please contact the website administrator.

    The following information is meant for the website developer for
    debugging purposes.

    Error Occurred While Processing Request
    A problem occurred when attempting to deliver mail.
    This exception was caused by: javax.mail.MessagingException:
    Could not connect to SMTP host: mail.server1.com, port: 25; nested exception
    is: java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: connect.

    The error occurred in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot\test\testemail.cfm:
    line 14

    12 : from=server1.com
    13 : to=server1.com
    14 : subject="Requested Files" >
    15 :
    16 : this is a test

    Stack Trace (click to expand)
    at
    cftestemail2ecfm181740068.runPage(C:\Inetpub\wwwro ot\test\testemail.cfm:14)
    at
    cftestemail2ecfm181740068.runPage(C:\Inetpub\wwwro ot\test\testemail.cfm:14)

    javax.mail.MessagingException: Could not connect to SMTP host:
    mail.server1.com, port: 25;
    nested exception is:
    java.net.SocketException: Software caused connection abort: connect
    at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.openServer(SMTPTra nsport.java:1008)
    at com.sun.mail.smtp.SMTPTransport.protocolConnect(SM TPTransport.java:197)
    at javax.mail.Service.connect(Service.java:233)
    at coldfusion.mail.MailSpooler.getConnection(MailSpoo ler.java:907)
    at coldfusion.mail.MailSpooler.deliver(MailSpooler.ja va:772)
    at coldfusion.mail.MailSpooler.storeMail(MailSpooler. java:627)
    at coldfusion.tagext.net.MailTag.doAfterBody(MailTag. java:619)
    at
    cftestemail2ecfm181740068.runPage(C:\Inetpub\wwwro ot\test\testemail.cfm:14)
    at coldfusion.runtime.CfJspPage.invoke(CfJspPage.java :152)
    at coldfusion.tagext.lang.IncludeTag.doStartTag(Inclu deTag.java:349)
    at coldfusion.filter.CfincludeFilter.invoke(Cfinclude Filter.java:65)
    at coldfusion.filter.ApplicationFilter.invoke(Applica tionFilter.java:210)
    at
    coldfusion.filter.RequestMonitorFilter.invoke(Requ estMonitorFilter.java:51)
    at coldfusion.filter.PathFilter.invoke(PathFilter.jav a:86)
    at coldfusion.filter.ExceptionFilter.invoke(Exception Filter.java:69)
    at coldfusion.filter.BrowserDebugFilter.invoke(Browse rDebugFilter.java:52)
    at
    coldfusion.filter.ClientScopePersistenceFilter.inv oke(ClientScopePersistenceFilter.java:28)
    at coldfusion.filter.BrowserFilter.invoke(BrowserFilt er.java:38)
    at coldfusion.filter.GlobalsFilter.invoke(GlobalsFilt er.java:38)
    at coldfusion.filter.DatasourceFilter.invoke(Datasour ceFilter.java:22)
    at
    coldfusion.filter.RequestThrottleFilter.invoke(Req uestThrottleFilter.java:115)
    at coldfusion.CfmServlet.service(CfmServlet.java:107)
    at coldfusion.bootstrap.BootstrapServlet.service(Boot strapServlet.java:78)
    at jrun.servlet.ServletInvoker.invoke(ServletInvoker. java:91)
    at jrun.servlet.JRunInvokerChain.invokeNext(JRunInvok erChain.java:42)
    at
    jrun.servlet.JRunRequestDispatcher.invoke(JRunRequ estDispatcher.java:257)
    at
    jrun.servlet.ServletEngineService.dispatch(Servlet EngineService.java:541)
    at
    jrun.servlet.jrpp.JRunProxyService.invokeRunnable( JRunProxyService.java:204)
    at
    jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$DownstreamMetrics.invok eRunnable(ThreadPool.java:318)
    at
    jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$ThreadThrottle.invokeRu nnable(ThreadPool.java:426)
    at
    jrunx.scheduler.ThreadPool$UpstreamMetrics.invokeR unnable(ThreadPool.java:264)
    at jrunx.scheduler.WorkerThread.run(WorkerThread.java :66)

    thanks in advance!

    "sc" <net> wrote in message

    sc Guest

  6. #6

    You seem to be missing a few quotes around addresses. Try this...

    <cfmail to="server1.com"
    from="server1.com"
    subject="This is a test email"
    server="mail.server1.com"
    replyto="server1.com"">
    This is a test
    </cfmail>

    tclaremont Guest

  7. #7

    You said that:

    And I cannot from the command line connect with telnet mail.server1.com 25.
    I can PING the IP/Name of the email server.

    Can you telnet on port 25 to the IP address? If not, do you have McAfee
    VirusScan protection? Their latest stuff turns off port 25 outbound on your
    server. Your problem is connectivity. After you get the connection working, it
    is then time to find out whether CF can send mail (i.e. if they have the email
    relaying set up correctly for you). Right now though you need to determine why
    you cannot telnet to the mail server on port 25.

    Reply back with your findings about telneting to it.

    Swift

    Swift Guest

  8. #8

    THANK YOU SO MUCH.. that was it.. the Virus Scan! THANK YOU! THANK YOU!

    "Swift" <net> wrote in message

    sc Guest

  9. #9

    sc,

    Glad to hear it! Now, don't just go and turn off your virus scan. What you
    need to do is allow the coldfusion services to send mail out port 25. I believe
    they are jrun.exe and jusched.exe. Then you can send mail from templates run
    from a scheduled task as well as from templates run from a user on your website.

    If you have the ePolicy Orchestrator, then you will have to change your
    settings on the ePO server. It's not too hard to figure out where to make the
    changes. It's in the Access Control section, and don't forget to change the
    settings for the correct computer type (Server or workstation). Also, don't
    forget to uncheck the inherit checkbox to allow you to make changes for your
    server.

    Good luck!

    Swift

    Swift Guest