Professional Web Applications Themes

sendmail - FreeBSD

i want to send a movie to a friend ? How do you do that with sendmail ? I know i know i read the man but its like this [------------------------------------] long...

  1. #1

    Default sendmail

    i want to send a movie to a friend ? How do you do that with sendmail
    ? I know i know i read the man but its like this
    [------------------------------------] long
    Gert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: sendmail

    On Thursday 31 March 2005 07:47 pm, Gert Cuykens wrote:

    Well... You could always break it up so it will be like this...

    [----]
    [----]
    [----]
    [----]
    [----]
    [----]
    [----]
    [----]
    [----]

    That way it seem so long. :)

    Just how big is this movie and are you sure his ISP's/private
    mail server would even accept it?

    WizLayer
    wizlayer Guest

  3. #3

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:03:09 -0500, wizlayer <com> wrote:

    > Well... You could always break it up so it will be like this...
    >
    > [----]
    > [----]
    > [----]
    > [----]
    > [----]
    > [----]
    > [----]
    > [----]
    > [----]
    >
    > That way it seem so long. :)
    >
    > Just how big is this movie and are you sure his ISP's/private
    > mail server would even accept it?
    >
    > WizLayer
    >[/ref]

    Its 5.5mb and my gmail doesnt want to sent it :(

    So how do you do that with the sendmail command ?
    Gert Guest

  4. #4

    On 2005-04-01 02:47, Gert Cuykens <com> wrote:

    You don't. Email messages are not a good medium for sending huge files.

    Many mail servers limit the size of the messages they accept to something like
    1 MB, so you'd have to split the movie in an extremely inconvenient, huge
    number of short parts.

    There are other ways to do file transfers.

    FTP is, in fact, called ``File Transfer Protocol''. You could always fire up
    an ftpd in read-only, anonymous mode and invite your friend to download the
    file from you.

    IMHO, the Handbook chapter on electronic email is more useful for Sendmail
    beginners, but I doubt people read it these days; which is rather unfortunate,
    given the amount of effort freebsd-doc people have put into writing it.

    - Giorgos

    Giorgos Guest

  5. #5

    Am Freitag, 1. April 2005 03:17 schrieb Gert Cuykens:
    [***]

    Well, sendmail was designed to transport eMails. And eMails consit of type
    text/plain, handwritten :]

    For file exchanging some clever people created standardized protocols like
    ftp, nowadays extremely easy to setup and use and even secure with sftp, part
    of OpenSSH.

    Even setting up a AFS system would make more sence to copy 5,5MB instead of
    trying to distribute it by eMail *headshaking*. Leave the poor mail system
    what it was designed to!

    -Harry

    Emanuel Guest

  6. #6

    Gert Cuykens wrote:
    > Its 5.5mb and my gmail doesnt want to sent it :(
    >
    > So how do you do that with the sendmail command ?[/ref]

    As everyone else notes, this is not a job for e-mailing. Even if you
    want to e-mail the file, it is not a job for sendmail. When you send
    attachments they are typically base64 encoded, this explodes the file
    from 5.5MB to about 8MB.

    You can cut it up in two ways: Use transcode to make shorter clips and
    send separately or convert the file to base64, then cut it up manually
    and ask your friend to concateneate the attachments and deconvert from
    base64.

    The second option is the low tech - transcode is not designed to be user
    friendly.

    But, as everyone suggest: Setup anon ftp, an apache webserver, or give
    ssh access - all of these are faster, simpler and better. This is
    posible if you are not NAT'ed and have a reasonably fixed ip.

    Erik

    --
    Ph: +34.666334818 web: http://www.locolomo.org
    S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt

  7. #7

    On Apr 1, 2005 9:59 AM, Erik Nørgaard <org> wrote:
    > > Its 5.5mb and my gmail doesnt want to sent it :(
    > >
    > > So how do you do that with the sendmail command ?[/ref]
    >
    > As everyone else notes, this is not a job for e-mailing. Even if you
    > want to e-mail the file, it is not a job for sendmail. When you send
    > attachments they are typically base64 encoded, this explodes the file
    > from 5.5MB to about 8MB.
    >
    > You can cut it up in two ways: Use transcode to make shorter clips and
    > send separately or convert the file to base64, then cut it up manually
    > and ask your friend to concateneate the attachments and deconvert from
    > base64.
    >
    > The second option is the low tech - transcode is not designed to be user
    > friendly.
    >
    > But, as everyone suggest: Setup anon ftp, an apache webserver, or give
    > ssh access - all of these are faster, simpler and better. This is
    > posible if you are not NAT'ed and have a reasonably fixed ip.
    >
    > Erik[/ref]

    well i can setup a ftp but then i have to leave my pc on all the time
    , people need to sleep you know and i cant sleep whith
    PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR in the background. irc wasnt made
    to sent files either and look at it now , its more popular then ftp :)

    So how do i get a movie in my friends mailbox using sentmail ? I was
    thinking in de lines of sendmail -t bla -a movie.mpeg -m
    hello.txt -s hello ?
    Gert Guest

  8. #8

    On Friday 01 April 2005 04:42 pm, Gert Cuykens wrote:
    wrote:

    > > As everyone else notes, this is not a job for e-mailing. Even
    > > if you want to e-mail the file, it is not a job for sendmail.
    > > When you send attachments they are typically base64 encoded,
    > > this explodes the file from 5.5MB to about 8MB.
    > >
    > > You can cut it up in two ways: Use transcode to make shorter
    > > clips and send separately or convert the file to base64, then
    > > cut it up manually and ask your friend to concateneate the
    > > attachments and deconvert from base64.
    > >
    > > The second option is the low tech - transcode is not designed
    > > to be user friendly.
    > >
    > > But, as everyone suggest: Setup anon ftp, an apache
    > > webserver, or give ssh access - all of these are faster,
    > > simpler and better. This is posible if you are not NAT'ed and
    > > have a reasonably fixed ip.
    > >
    > > Erik[/ref]
    >
    > well i can setup a ftp but then i have to leave my pc on all
    > the time , people need to sleep you know and i cant sleep whith
    > PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR in the background. irc wasnt
    > made to sent files either and look at it now , its more popular
    > then ftp :)
    >
    > So how do i get a movie in my friends mailbox using sentmail ?
    > I was thinking in de lines of sendmail -t bla -a
    > movie.mpeg -m hello.txt -s hello ?[/ref]

    Just use the mail command. (the man page for mail is smaller)

    Why don't you just use your favorite mua to send it? What about
    using something like icq, ymessenger, etc?

    As far as the RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR in the background... I sleep
    well with it (in fact, if the three boxes in my room were to stop
    RRRRRRRRRRRing I would most likely wake up). :)

    WizLayer

    "Now I lay me down to sleep.
    I trust the Puff my LAN to keep.
    Crackers come as whackers may,
    But I'll have logs to make them pay."
    -- Er... Um... Unanimous!!! :))
    wizlayer Guest

  9. #9

    > Just use the mail command. (the man page for mail is smaller)

    i read man mail and there is nothing about attachments in mail unless
    reading a file includes reading a movie file ?

    Against my religion

    Any other mail clients that are a bit more teletubie because mail
    looks like is made by the same guy vi made.
    Gert Guest

  10. #10

    Gert Cuykens wrote:

    > i read man mail and there is nothing about attachments in mail unless
    > reading a file includes reading a movie file ?
    >

    > Against my religion
    >
    > Any other mail clients that are a bit more teletubie because mail
    > looks like is made by the same guy vi made.[/ref]

    Not sure if you're asking for recommendations or just complaining about mail programs, but...

    Do you have a mail program installed? What are you using to write your mails to this list?
    Just use that to send the movie. If you're just using sendmail and that's the problem, are
    you running a windowing envrionment? If so, kde and gnome come with mail clients, I
    believe. Also, thunderbird is a good mail program from the mozilla folks. If you're not
    running a windowing environment, pine and mutt are command line mail programs that both do
    attachments (and how to do so is clearly indicated in the man page).

    Ben Guest

  11. #11

    On Apr 2, 2005 8:03 AM, Ben Munat <com> wrote:

    > > i read man mail and there is nothing about attachments in mail unless
    > > reading a file includes reading a movie file ?
    > >

    > > Against my religion
    > >
    > > Any other mail clients that are a bit more teletubie because mail
    > > looks like is made by the same guy vi made.[/ref]
    >
    > Not sure if you're asking for recommendations or just complaining about mail programs, but...
    >
    > Do you have a mail program installed? What are you using to write your mails to this list?
    > Just use that to send the movie. If you're just using sendmail and that's the problem, are
    > you running a windowing envrionment? If so, kde and gnome come with mail clients, I
    > believe. Also, thunderbird is a good mail program from the mozilla folks. If you're not
    > running a windowing environment, pine and mutt are command line mail programs that both do
    > attachments (and how to do so is clearly indicated in the man page).

    I use gmail and for some reason it doesnt want to sent it ?
    Gert Guest

  12. #12

    Gert Cuykens wrote:

    >>Not sure if you're asking for recommendations or just complaining about mail programs, but...
    >>
    >>Do you have a mail program installed? What are you using to write your mails to this list?
    >>Just use that to send the movie. If you're just using sendmail and that's the problem, are
    >>you running a windowing envrionment? If so, kde and gnome come with mail clients, I
    >>believe. Also, thunderbird is a good mail program from the mozilla folks. If you're not
    >>running a windowing environment, pine and mutt are command line mail programs that both do
    >>attachments (and how to do so is clearly indicated in the man page).

    >>[/ref]
    >

    > I use gmail and for some reason it doesnt want to sent it ?[/ref]

    Sorry... remember you saying that... and duh, I could look at the email address.

    I'd just install pine or mutt.

    Ben Guest

  13. #13

    Gert Cuykens wrote: [/ref]

    more popular does not mean better, just more popular.

    there is a trick you may find handy: "man mail" it tells you all about
    the options and stuff. Then you'll find that something along the lines

    'cat movie.mpeg | mail -s "movie" recipientsomewhere'

    will fail, because you first have to convert your movie.mpeg to base64
    and wrap the lines at every 72 characaters.

    But otherwise you do something like this:

    'cat <body> | mail -s "subject" recipientsomewhere'

    and the format of <body> is described in rfc2822 and others, eg. the
    mime-stuff in rfc2045-2048+/-

    Read that, if you still have problems, then ask again.

    It still may fail because the recipient won't take large mails, so you
    will have to chop it of as explained in previous mail.

    Cheers, Erik
    --
    Ph: +34.666334818 web: http://www.locolomo.org
    S/MIME Certificate: http://www.locolomo.org/crt/2004071206.crt
    Subject ID: A9:76:7A:ED:06:95:2B:8D:48:97:CE:F2:3F:42:C8:F2:22 :DE:4C:B9

  14. #14

    Ok, you could try something like this ;)
    #
    # cat movie.mpg | mail com -s "This wont work ;)"
    #
    On Fri, 2005-04-01 at 02:47 +0200, Gert Cuykens wrote:

    Ed Guest