Professional Web Applications Themes

Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator - Linux / Unix Administration

Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator A client that I have been consulting with is looking for a Unix Administrator to deliver on-site support to a critical client in the Boston area. This is the job description as posted: As a Senior Consultant, you work side-by-side with the customer to maintain and expand their computing and network infrastructure. You should have experience and/or familiarity with a fast pace environment with proven results. Experience and/or desire to work in a research and development organization is imperative. You must be team oriented, have strong communication skills, and must be able to work independently ...

  1. #1

    Default Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator

    Senior Consultant/ Unix Systems Administrator

    A client that I have been consulting with is looking for a Unix
    Administrator to deliver on-site support to a critical client in the
    Boston area.

    This is the job description as posted:

    As a Senior Consultant, you work side-by-side with the customer to
    maintain and expand their computing and network infrastructure. You
    should have experience and/or familiarity with a fast pace environment
    with proven results. Experience and/or desire to work in a research and
    development organization is imperative. You must be team oriented, have
    strong communication skills, and must be able to work independently and
    further the goals of the organization without immediate direction. It
    is also important to be comfortable dealing with fairly technical
    end-users.

    Responsibilities include:
    Installation, configuration, and maintenance of infrastructure
    servers
    Evaluation of High-Performance Computing (HPC) Linux clustering
    technologies and products, which may include Sun Grid Engine and Condor
    Linux cluster performance tuning, maintenance, and monitoring (Big
    Brother, Nagios, Ganglia)
    Cluster file service performance tuning, which may include IBRIX
    Fusion, HP Scalable File Share (HP SFS), NFS, and Samba
    Implementation of automated installation methods for clustered
    systems (Kickstart, NPACI ROCKS)
    Network and data storage management and planning
    General-purpose systems administration including shell scripting,
    software installation (packages and building from source), backup and
    recovery, doentation, etc.
    Management of directory services and source code repositories (CVS,
    Subversion)
    Installation and configuration of workstations including dual-boot
    systems

    Experience with most of the following technologies:
    5+ years in a sysadmin role, supporting multiple operating systems
    and hardware platforms
    Expertise in Red Hat Enterprise Linux
    Sun Solaris
    Familiarity with open source tools, both using common software and
    building from source
    NFS and Samba file services
    Directory administration (NIS and BIND)
    CVS and Subversion
    Apache HTTP Server
    Hardware and software RAID, LVM
    Printing services using CUPS

    Experience with the following technologies would be a plus:
    Network Appliance Filers
    Mac OS X desktop and server
    Linux clustering
    Active Directory authentication
    Other Linux distributions (SUSE, Debian)

    North Guest

  3. #3

    On 6 Mar 2006 07:55:21 -0800, North <com> wrote:

    So what? We have no interest in doing business with spammers. The only
    thing you've accomplished by posting this here, is to tell your best
    possible audience that you're someone to avoid doing business with.

    This is a group for technical people to discuss technical topics, not
    for every headhunter who doesn't have a network to exploit. Go away and
    stay somewhere near there.

    Dave Guest

  4. #4

    Well,

    I already received 12 resumes so GFY : )

    North Guest

  5. #5

    On 8 Mar 2006 10:24:22 -0800, North <com> wrote:

    I doubt that they came from anyone worth hiring. And if they're like
    the typical resumes I get from desperate headhunters, well, nevermind.
    Again, thanks for identifying yourself as someone to avoid, from both
    sides of the job search.
    Dave Guest

  6. #6

    [Posted and mailed]

    In article <googlegroups.com>,
    "North" <com> writes:

    Well, amigo, with some 353 newsgroups with "jobs" somewhere in their title, I'd
    think you'd be smart enough to figure out that they are somehow better suited to
    your search. If you cut corners in that area, where else might you do so? A
    good (read ethical, effective, honest) headhunter would take the time and
    trouble to inform him/herself before posting and would certainly not display
    an attitude. I'm with Dave on this - you've clearly demonstrated a lack of
    ethics, an lack of awareness for "netiquette", and a rotten attitude. Makes
    me wonder how you manage to stay in business.

    Ciao, chump.

    -----
    "One of the greatest delusions in the world is the hope that the evils in this world are to be cured by legislation." Thomas Reed
    -----

    Robert Guest

  7. #7

    [Posted and mailed]

    In article <e0IPf.1830$news.atl.earthlink.net>,
    rgmhome.net (Robert Melson) writes:

    > Well, amigo, with some 353 newsgroups with "jobs" somewhere in their title, I'd
    > think you'd be smart enough to figure out that they are somehow better suited to
    > your search. If you cut corners in that area, where else might you do so? A
    > good (read ethical, effective, honest) headhunter would take the time and
    > trouble to inform him/herself before posting and would certainly not display
    > an attitude. I'm with Dave on this - you've clearly demonstrated a lack of
    > ethics, an lack of awareness for "netiquette", and a rotten attitude. Makes
    > me wonder how you manage to stay in business.
    >
    > Ciao, chump.
    >

    >[/ref]

    Oh, and by the way, and the horse you rode in on.

    RGM

    -----