Professional Web Applications Themes

Separations for screenprinting - Macromedia Freehand

ok, im a complete n00b to Freehand, so please don't cast me aside with indignified resolve. i've been using Illsutrator for about 2 years now, and am very comfortable with it. i use it all the time for separating into spot colors on film for screenprinting shirts. well, we've always had this one client (who shall remain nameless, but is very large... VERY) that always has had prblems with thier art in some form or another, be it separating wrong, wrong colors, certain plates not being underbased.. etc. we have just recently figured out why they have such a problem.. ...

  1. #1

    Default Separations for screenprinting

    ok, im a complete n00b to Freehand, so please don't cast me aside with
    indignified resolve.
    i've been using Illsutrator for about 2 years now, and am very comfortable
    with it. i use it all the time for separating into spot colors on film for
    screenprinting shirts. well, we've always had this one client (who shall remain
    nameless, but is very large... VERY) that always has had prblems with thier art
    in some form or another, be it separating wrong, wrong colors, certain plates
    not being underbased.. etc. we have just recently figured out why they have
    such a problem.. everything they do is in Freehand, while everything we do is
    illustrator. its not a predjudice agianst freehand, its just that every other
    cilent we have uses illustrator as well, so why should we bow down and switch
    to a program that does half the things illy does? because, like i said, they
    VERY large. they refuse to budge, and so, i am having to learn freehand so our
    mutual problems absolve into harmony. thankfully, i only have to use it for
    them. i get to keep my illy.
    so, since i have no idea how to print to file, check spot colors, have custom
    print sizes (that use the art bounds as the final size, instead of a
    predetermined size), et al that goes with separating, how do i do it?
    or, can it be exported to Illustratr CS with fewer problems? (i doubt that,
    because thats what lead to problems initially, they would export to Illustrator
    10) i will be happy to answer any further questions you may need to help me
    with this.
    Specs: FH10, ILCS, CorelDRAW12.. epson 7600 RIP printer, wasatch RIP software.
    kick-butt computer to handle all that.
    2 years knowledge of illustrator (starting with 9 to CS) / 1 day knowledge of
    FH10. please help.

    SageofthePit Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Separations for screenprinting

    On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 09:19:51 -0700, SageofthePit <com> wrote:

    What sort of resolve should we cast you aside with, then?

    You know this after one day using FH10? Half the things, really? I'd have estimated it at about twice the things.

    There is a 'print to file' checkbox in the print dialog in the 'output' section.

    Check them in what sense? You can tell if colors are set as spot in the swatches panel. Process colors have their names shown in italic letters.

    have custom

    Are you talking about page sizes? The page tool is very useful for quickly setting custom print areas.

    It sounds like Freehand wasn't your problem, but trying to convert to Illustrator for output.

    I would be happy to help you. I have used Freehand for spot color screen print separation every day of the week since version 7 (and less often during version 5), and I use illustrator to do format conversions when I have to. Let me know specifically what problems you are having and I'll help with them as best I can.

    --
    Bill
    FHMXa/WinXP/Athlon2500+/1GB

  3. #3

    I am sure others are more qualified than me but here is my 2

    Two things I have found that do not translat very well from FH to
    Illustrator: text and gradients. I usually avoid them in FH and add them
    after converting the file to AI.

    To do a conversion try this:

    File>Export as a version 9 FH file.

    Open that file in AI and see how it does.

    D. Guest

  4. #4

    SageofthePit,

    Freehand has many features that make it popular with spot separations users.

    Xtras > Colors > Name all colors.

    The whole Find & Replace Graphics (F&RG) suite. Most useful is F&RG/Color/in
    Doent. This gives you complete control over the all the inks used in the
    doent.

    You can also use F&RG to change a range of stroke weights, select objects
    with overprint settings, select objects custom halftone screens, and much
    more. In AI you'd have to spend months writing JavaScripts just to do a
    fraction of what F&RG now does immediately with the click of a button.

    FreeHand has always been able to assign spot inks to 1-bit TIFF images
    (including 1-bit transparent images). Finally, AI CS 2 has this feature.

    If you print directly from FH, you can print spot ink blends and gradients.
    These may not translate properly when the FH file is opened in Illustrator.

    FH has long had vastly superior text formatting than AI, so if you open a FH
    file with live text in AI you will lose much of the well-crafted formatting
    such as word spacing, kerning, text-on-path positioning, etc.

    Judy Arndt

    Judy Guest

  5. #5

    > FreeHand has always been able to assign spot inks to 1-bit TIFF images
    (including 1-bit transparent images). Finally, AI CS 2 has this feature.

    Minor correction, just for the record: AI has been able to assign colors to
    1-bit rasters. The new capability in CS2 is to colorize grayscale images
    with FH-like ease, instead of the convoluted workaround of employing a
    transparency mask.

    JET

    James Guest

  6. #6

    James E. Talmage wrote:

    > (including 1-bit transparent images). Finally, AI CS 2 has this feature.
    >
    > Minor correction, just for the record: AI has been able to assign colors to
    > 1-bit rasters. The new capability in CS2 is to colorize grayscale images
    > with FH-like ease, instead of the convoluted workaround of employing a
    > transparency mask.[/ref]

    Thanks for the correction, James.

    Judy

    Judy Guest