Professional Web Applications Themes

Sequence Number Generator in IDS 9.4 - Informix

Anyone using or familiar with this new feature in IDS 9.4? We are wondering what it would take to convert from IDS 7.3 to 9.4 and implement this feature. How would serial numbers be converted to sequence numbers? Is there a utility to do this? Thanks for any input!...

  1. #1

    Default Sequence Number Generator in IDS 9.4

    Anyone using or familiar with this new feature in IDS 9.4?

    We are wondering what it would take to convert from IDS 7.3 to 9.4
    and implement this feature. How would serial numbers be converted
    to sequence numbers? Is there a utility to do this?

    Thanks for any input!
    Cindy Lichtenauer Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Sequence Number Generator in IDS 9.4

    Cindy Lichtenauer wrote:
    > Anyone using or familiar with this new feature in IDS 9.4?
    >
    > We are wondering what it would take to convert from IDS 7.3 to 9.4
    > and implement this feature. How would serial numbers be converted
    > to sequence numbers? Is there a utility to do this?

    SERIAL columns still work just as they always did - no problem, no
    change. Consequently, there's no utility to do it. (If you really
    want one, run: cp /bin/true $INFORMIXDIR/bin/upgrade.serials-9.40 as
    root and then run upgrade.serials-9.40 -- it's fast!)

    So, now it is up to you what you do with your application. The
    easiest thing is to leave it using serials. If you choose to modify
    it to use sequences, so be it - RTF(abulous)M and have fun.

    --
    Jonathan Leffler #include <disclaimer.h>
    Email: [email]jlefflerearthlink.net[/email], [email]jlefflerus.ibm.com[/email]

    Jonathan Leffler Guest

  3. #3

    Daniel Morgan wrote:
    > An end to serialization for one aspect of Informix.
    In what way?

    --
    Ciao,
    The Obnoxious One

    "Ogni uomo mi guarda come se fossi una testa di cazzo"
    Obnoxio The Clown Guest

  4. #4

    Daniel Morgan wrote:
    > Jonathan Leffler wrote:
    >> Cindy Lichtenauer wrote:
    >>> Anyone using or familiar with this new feature in IDS 9.4?
    >>> We are wondering what it would take to convert from IDS 7.3 to 9.4
    >>> and implement this feature. How would serial numbers be converted
    >>> to sequence numbers? Is there a utility to do this?
    >>
    >> SERIAL columns still work just as they always did - no problem, no
    >> change. Consequently, there's no utility to do it. (If you really
    >> want one, run: cp /bin/true $INFORMIXDIR/bin/upgrade.serials-9.40 as
    >> root and then run upgrade.serials-9.40 -- it's fast!)
    >>
    >> So, now it is up to you what you do with your application. The
    >> easiest thing is to leave it using serials. If you choose to modify
    >> it to use sequences, so be it - RTF(abulous)M and have fun.
    >>
    > Might I interpret this as Informix adding sequences like (dare I say it
    > ... DB2 and Oracle)?
    Pretty much the same...
    > An end to serialization for one aspect of Informix.
    > If so is there a link to the new functionality? Thanks.
    No end to SERIAL - as I said, they still work unchanged. And they
    were never a bottleneck on insert either (PAGE LEVEL locking on a
    table using them might be - but not the SERIAL values themselves).

    You wanted a URL:

    [url]http://www-3.ibm.com/software/data/informix/pubs/library/ids_94.html[/url]

    You'd look for the Informix Guide to SQL: Syntax manual (probably the
    largest), under CREATE SEQUENCE. For other sections on using them,
    try the index? But they are very similar to both DB2 and Oracle
    sequences - and not by accident.

  5. #5

    Jonathan Leffler wrote:
    > Cindy Lichtenauer wrote:
    >
    >> Anyone using or familiar with this new feature in IDS 9.4?
    >>
    >> We are wondering what it would take to convert from IDS 7.3 to 9.4
    >> and implement this feature. How would serial numbers be converted
    >> to sequence numbers? Is there a utility to do this?
    >

    > SERIAL columns still work just as they always did - no problem, no
    > change. Consequently, there's no utility to do it. (If you really
    > want one, run: cp /bin/true $INFORMIXDIR/bin/upgrade.serials-9.40 as
    > root and then run upgrade.serials-9.40 -- it's fast!)
    >
    > So, now it is up to you what you do with your application. The
    > easiest thing is to leave it using serials. If you choose to modify
    > it to use sequences, so be it - RTF(abulous)M and have fun.

    Might I interpret this as Informix adding sequences like (dare I say it
    .... DB2 and Oracle)?
    An end to serialization for one aspect of Informix.
    If so is there a link to the new functionality? Thanks.

    --
    Daniel Morgan
    [url]http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/oad/oad_crs.asp[/url]
    [url]http://www.outreach.washington.edu/ext/certificates/aoa/aoa_crs.asp[/url]
    [email]damorganx.washington.edu[/email]
    (replace 'x' with a 'u' to reply)

    Daniel Morgan Guest

  6. #6

    Obnoxio The Clown wrote:
    >Daniel Morgan wrote:
    >

    >>An end to serialization for one aspect of Informix.
    >>

    >In what way?

    Couldn't you have just answered the question about whether these are
    sequences like Oracle and DB2 have? ;-)

    All autonumbering forces serialization of inserts so I'm not sure what
    you mean by "In what way'? Unless I've
    missed something autonumbering in Informix, Sybase, and SQL Server do
    not cache multiple numbers in memory
    for parallel access.

    If I am wrong please post a link as I've been unable to find anything
    that would indicate the Informix implementation
    is different from that of Sybase and SQL Server.

    Thanks.