Professional Web Applications Themes

serious flash 8 player install / remove issues - Macromedia Flash Player

dear macromedia i can't seem to be able to install the flash 8 player. what happens is, upon arriving at a flash website, the detection on the respective page requests me to install flash. i do so by going to the macromedia page. immediately after clicking the 'install flash' icon i receive the animation showing 'flash has been successfully installed'. with my connection speed, it is highly unlikely that the whole installation process (the ca 700kb, that is) would just take less than two seconds, which is exactly what happens. i also receive a confirming message that 'Version 8,0,24,0 installed ...

  1. #1

    Default serious flash 8 player install / remove issues

    dear macromedia

    i can't seem to be able to install the flash 8 player.

    what happens is, upon arriving at a flash website, the detection on the
    respective page requests me to install flash. i do so by going to the
    macromedia page. immediately after clicking the 'install flash' icon i receive
    the animation showing 'flash has been successfully installed'. with my
    connection speed, it is highly unlikely that the whole installation process
    (the ca 700kb, that is) would just take less than two seconds, which is exactly
    what happens.

    i also receive a confirming message that 'Version 8,0,24,0 installed
    successfully'.

    however, i still can't get past any flash detection. a friend who is a web
    developer removed the initial flash detection for me to see if i just fail to
    pass the detections -- but flash would still work for me -- or whether flash
    isn't actually installed on my machine. the latter seems to be the case, since
    i cannot view any flash content.

    please note that there is no 'flash' entry in my add/remove programs either!

    i was suggested to remove the *flash*.ocx from whereever it may be on my HDD,
    and reinstall flash. indeed have i found an ocx file under my win/system32
    directory, but since the ocx is being used in memory at all times (even when
    booting into the "dos"), i cannot remove the file.

    NB: all the activeX controls are set to enabled / promt (tried all possible
    combinations).

    PS: in an unguarded moment, i took to installing the Yahoo Toolbar in hope it
    might somehow help the flash installation. i can't seem to be able to remove
    the toolbar now (there is an entry for it in my add/remove programs, but
    clicking the remove button doesn't produce any actions, nor does clicking the
    'pencil' icon on the toolbar and choosing 'remove yahoo toolbar'). since these
    two pieces of sw were bundled together, i'm also enquiring about it.

    thanks for your help!

    lukas_ Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: serious flash 8 player install / remove issues

    btw., i'm using windows XP pro, SP1 and internet explorer 6 on a pentium 4 machine...

    best,
    lukas / prague
    lukas_ Guest

  3. #3

    Had a similar problem with Flash 8.24 - after uninstalling Shockwave Player. So re-installed it and my Flash player worked again.
    Aerotype Guest

  4. #4

    Clarification.

    Having used XP "Add/Remove" tool to remove my Shockwave Player. I
    re-installed Shockwave player from the Macromedia site, did another Macromedia
    uninstall of Flash Player, then did a 'clean' installation of Flash Player from
    the site.

    Hope this 'simple solution' works.

    Aerotype Guest

  5. #5

    Lukas_ ,
    I have the very same problem.
    If there is any solution, please! We'll apreciate it :)
    Hern?n

    PS: Installing/uninstalling of the Macromedia Studio or the player &plugins
    didnt work
    Im running an Athlon 1.0 with XP SP2

    Hernancitus Guest

  6. #6

    hernancitus,

    unfortunately for you, the method described by aerotype worked for me. i don't
    know of any other way of removing the flash player.

    however, i still haven't tamed the google bar yet!

    lukas_ Guest