Professional Web Applications Themes

Serious flaw in LFS (Linux From Scratch) system build? - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello there, I got to tell my horrible time for installing Linux on the fresh Linux box I built from LFS. I built kernel Installed Gnulpr - failed Installed CUPS - failed again - failed again - failed again - failed Installed LPRng - succeed The problem I just found - I spent at least 24 hours to make the print works. :-( There was no daemon user in /etc/passwd file. So, the dameon process could not get any permission to do there job. /etc/passwd had only two users root buddy <- it was the user name I created. I ...

  1. #1

    Default Serious flaw in LFS (Linux From Scratch) system build?

    Hello there,

    I got to tell my horrible time for installing Linux on the fresh Linux
    box I built from LFS.
    I built kernel
    Installed Gnulpr - failed
    Installed CUPS - failed
    again - failed
    again - failed
    again - failed
    Installed LPRng - succeed

    The problem I just found - I spent at least 24 hours to make the print
    works. :-(
    There was no daemon user in /etc/passwd file. So, the dameon process
    could not get any permission to do there job.

    /etc/passwd had only two users
    root
    buddy <- it was the user name I created.

    I installed LPRng program. When the lpd was running, it was always
    'waiting'.
    /var/spool/lpdlp <- which installed automatically by the
    installation script
    had file permission only for root!
    -rw------- root, daemon

    Here is the error message
    cannot chdir to '/var/spool/lpdlp' as UID 6, GRP 6
    owner/group of '/var/spool/lpdlp' are 0/6, not 6/6

    The root has 0 UID and daemon has 6 GID in the system. There was no
    way to the lpd daemon to access the files it had to read/write.

    I created 'daemon' user after that the lpd began to work properly.

    I searched the LFS doent throughly about setting up daemon process.
    There was not a single issue. So, I searched the Byond LFS web site.
    It did not explain how to setup daemon ids for running server
    application - lpd, telnetd, etc.

    If I did not have another Linux box - 8 years old laptop, I would
    spend more times to solve this problem.

    I wonder why the author did not explain it clearly or the BLSF people.
    I compared the /etc/group and /etc/passwd content against two other
    Linux systems. The others have daemon user in /etc/passwd.

    My question is "Can Linux run without daemon user?"

    PS.

    My E-mail is pyonbird at writeme dot com
    learner Guest

  2. #2

    learner wrote:

    It seems you missed the page that told how to setup the passwd
    and group files.

    http://lfs.130th.net/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/pwdgroup.html

    --
    Confucius: He who play in root, eventually kill tree.
    Registered with The Linux Counter. http://counter.li.org/

  3. #3

    NO I did not miss it. The author don't explain how to setup daemon
    user ID.
    The below is the content from LFS website - Chapter 6. It is the only
    part of explaing group and user. :-(

    --

    Creating the passwd and group files

    In order for root to be able to login and for the name "root" to be
    recognized, there need to be relevant entries in the /etc/passwd and
    /etc/group files.

    Create the /etc/passwd file by running the following command:

    cat > /etc/passwd << "EOF"
    root:x:0:0:root:/root:/bin/bash
    EOF

    The actual password for root (the "x" here is just a placeholder) will
    be set later.

    Create the /etc/group file by running the following command:

    cat > /etc/group << "EOF"
    root:x:0:
    bin:x:1:
    sys:x:2:
    kmem:x:3:
    tty:x:4:
    tape:x:5:
    daemon:x:6:
    floppy:x:7:
    disk:x:8:
    lp:x:9:
    dialout:x:10:
    audio:x:11:
    EOF

    The created groups aren't part of any standard -- they are the groups
    that the MAKEDEV script in the next section uses. Besides the group
    "root", the LSB (http://www.linuxbase.org) recommends only a group
    "bin", with a GID of 1, be present. All other group names and GIDs can
    be chosen freely by the user, as well-written packages don't depend on
    GID numbers but use the group's name.

    Lastly, we re-login to the chroot environment. User name and group
    name resolution will start working immediately after the /etc/passwd
    and /etc/group files are created, because we installed a full Glibc in
    Chapter 5. This will get rid of the "I have no name!" prompt.

    exec /tools/bin/bash --login +h

    Note the use of the +h directive. This tells bash not to use its
    internal path hashing. Without this directive, bash would remember the
    paths to binaries it has executed. Since we want to use our newly
    compiled binaries as soon as they are installed, we turn off this
    function for the duration of this chapter.

    --

    David <net> wrote in message news:<saiIb.173042$8y1.522300attbi_s52>...

    > It seems you missed the page that told how to setup the passwd
    > and group files.
    >
    > http://lfs.130th.net/lfs/view/stable/chapter06/pwdgroup.html[/ref]
    learner Guest

  4. Moderated Post