Professional Web Applications Themes

Seriously, what is up with this program?! - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

I really hope someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I can not get Contribute to work, all I seem to get is up to 3 or 4 dialog boxes with progress bars only to end up with cryptic error messages. Also the user interface is incredibly unresponsive, these dialog boxes with the progress bars are really driving me insane. I can confirm that: A. the server is not down and B. I do have access. Ok, I try to create a connection in Contribute, I use a subdomain (test.domain.com). So it tries like a zillion ...

  1. #1

    Default Seriously, what is up with this program?!

    I really hope someone can help me figure out what I'm doing wrong here. I can
    not get Contribute to work, all I seem to get is up to 3 or 4 dialog boxes with
    progress bars only to end up with cryptic error messages. Also the user
    interface is incredibly unresponsive, these dialog boxes with the progress bars
    are really driving me insane.

    I can confirm that: A. the server is not down and B. I do have access.

    Ok, I try to create a connection in Contribute, I use a subdomain
    (test.domain.com). So it tries like a zillion CWD commands (all but CWD /test,
    doh!!), and then finally asks me which folder on the FTP corresponds. I tell it
    to use /test/, it asks for my name, and then all I get is "Waiting for
    server..." followed by "Contribute could not connect because the server is down
    or not accepting connections. Please contact your administrator." If I connect
    using my FTP program, there's not a trace of Contribute, no _mm or _notes
    folders, nothing!

    I tried letting Contribute decide what's best for me, as well as turning on
    passive FTP and turning off optimizing FTP connection (whatever that means).

    Does Contribute need special permissions on the FTP server? I yzed the
    traffic, but Contribute seems to use common FTP commands. I really want to get
    this to work, so if anyone has any ideas what the problem might be.

    Michiel1978 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Seriously, what is up with this program?!

    OK, ok. So I shut down Contribute, and started the program again, then tried to
    create a connection again. This time, it seemed to work, I got a dialog box
    about testing reading writing files, the status messages went to fast to read...

    It seemed to work until this: "Error. it appears that the data we are trying
    to read is corrupted. Please make sure the server space is not full."

    Ehm. Ok, it's not full either.

    Michiel1978 Guest

  3. #3

    Yess! Restarted Contribute again and now I have a connection. I can start to
    edit the front page, it's an index.php Ok, some word of advice to the interface
    designers, I can not read to dialog boxes! The go by to fast, it makes me
    dizzy, often all I see ia a completely empty dialog box with an empty progress
    bar for like 2 seconds, and then bam! it's gone. And another thing, enought
    with the gradients and the moving toolbars, it's not helping my productivity
    here! If I want flashy I'll visit a website, I'm tryiong to edit a companie
    website here!

    Michiel1978 Guest

  4. #4

    Well, I just added some words and hit publish (yes, that beautiful button with
    a gradient). And guess what? All I get it waiting for server... What the ****?!
    How the hell am i supposed to sell this solution to a client? That's not gonna
    do me much good.

    So this is the result of my labour: "Contribute could not connect because the
    server is down or not accepting connections.
    Please contact your administrator."

    Now I am presented with a yellow bar in contribute, it says: "Could not
    connect because the server is down, or refusing connections". Ok, let's check
    that with an FTP program. Hmm, nope, it neither down nor refusing connections.
    Hey Macromedia, how about taking the blame yourselves huh? Mea culpa? Is that
    so hard?

    Anyway, back on topic. While logging in using FTP, I notices there's no _mm or
    _notes folder. Only a index.php.LCK, it seems Contribute was unable to finish
    setting up the site?

    Michiel1978 Guest

  5. #5

    Hey, now when I go to Edit -> Edit connections, the connection is disabled.
    What the /**/, is that your way of solving problems?!

    So enabling and then pressing edit, I am greeted with another waiting for
    server dialog box. 1 minute and counting... and... same crap again. Also,
    Contribute again disabled my connection.

    I am freaking out here! This is terrible, how come you can make a good program
    (Dreamweaver) and then create this piece of crap?

    OH, and what the /**/ were the interface guys smoking, and where was the
    program manager during quality control?

    Michiel1978 Guest

  6. #6

    Michiel,

    I might suggest you try a couple of things to test this from your system.

    1) Run the FTP Server Checker from Macromedia and see if it provides any
    information that may lead to a solution.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/tn_19012[/url]

    2) Next run a Net Performance Log and see if there are any errors that may
    lead to an understanding of what is happening.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/go/tn_19506[/url]

    Good Luck

    jnosal3 Guest