Professional Web Applications Themes

Server Application Unavailable - ASP.NET General

"Rob" <com> wrote in message news:010501c36811$07dd4420$gbl...  Rob, have you recently applied MS Critical Update #822925? If so, see the thread in this newsgroup with the title "MS Critical Update #822925 Breaks ASP.NET". There's also another "Server Application Unavailable" thread. -- John Saunders Internet Engineer com...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Server Application Unavailable

    --
    John Saunders
    Internet Engineer

    John Guest

  2. #2

    Default Server Application Unavailable

    Hi,

    when I open ANY ASP.NET application on my computer I get this message:

    ----
    Server Application Unavailable

    The web application you are attempting to access on this web server is
    currently unavailable. Please hit the "Refresh" button in your web browser
    to retry your request.
    Administrator Note: An error message detailing the cause of this specific
    request failure can be found in the system event log of the web server.
    Please review this log entry to discover what caused this error to occur.
    ----

    I'm using Windows XP Prof., .NET 1.0 SP2, VS 2002. I can't find any related
    entry in the event log. I tried to re-register ASP.NET using
    aspnet_regiis -i, I tried to re-register aspnet_isapi.dll, I tried to
    reapply .NET Framework 1.0 SP2, but it nothing works.

    The classic ASP applications work...

    Any idea?

    Thanks in advance.

    Best Regards,

    Petr PALAS, com
    PortSight - Portals & Components - www.portsight.com

    Petr Guest

  3. #3

    Please post to one group only (or, if you have to post to more than one
    group, post to both at the same time). Thankyou.

    Answered in microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.

    Cheers
    Ken

    "Petr PALAS" <cz> wrote in message
    : Hi,
    :
    : when I open ANY ASP.NET application on my computer I get this message:

    <snip>

    Ken Guest

  4. #4

    I'm can't access my asp net applications. The only information I have is

    "Server Application Unavailable. The web application you are attempting to
    access on this web server is currently unavailable. Please hit the
    "Refresh" button in your web browser to retry your request."

    I didn't have this problem yesterday, and haven't made any changes that I
    can think of. The application settings are on. What else is there to check?

    Jon Cosby

    Jon Guest

  5. #5

    On the server: go into Administrative Tools | Services and make sure the
    Worldwide Web Publishing Service is running.. go into Administrative Tools |
    Event Viewer and look for any errors that might lead to more detail... go
    into the IIS administration tool and see if you can get in - if not, what
    kind of error do you get...

    "Jon Cosby" <com> wrote in message
    check?

    Frank Guest

  6. #6

    If you are running Windows XP, and you just installed MS03-032 ulative
    Patch for Internet Explorer 6 and you are running ASP.Net v1, then this is
    your problem (and solution):

    http://www.asp.net/Forums/ShowPost.aspx?tabindex=1&PostID=317424

    That said, I just wrote that I posted the answer in
    news://microsoft.public.dotnet.framework because the original poster had
    asked the same question in that group - is it that hard to look it up?

    Cheers
    Ken

  7. #7

    This is posted here:

    http://www.asp.net/faq/ms03-32-issue.aspx

    Fix for: 'Server Application Unavailable' Error after Applying Security Update
    for IE
    -

    We have identified an issue with the recent MS03-32 Security Update for
    Internet Explorer security patch and ASP.NET V1.0 running on Windows XP. This
    patch can be installed manually or by obtaining recent critical updates from
    the Windows Update site.

    The symptom of this issue is that after installing the patch on a Windows XP
    machine, all requests to ASP.NET applications running on the local IIS 5.1 web
    server result in an error message saying "Server Application Unavailable".
    Requests to remote web servers are unaffected.

    This issue only impacts installations running ASP.NET V1.0 on Windows XP. It
    does not impact machines running Windows 2000 or Windows Server 2003. It also
    does not impact machines running Windows XP with ASP.NET v1.1 installed.

    Please note that this issue is not a security bug with ASP.NET. It does not
    open up or allow any malicious attacks against an ASP.NET application or
    server. Instead, it is purely a functional bug caused by the patch itself.

    We are working hard on a permanent solution for this issue. In the meantime,
    you can execute the following batch file as a workaround for the issue. The
    batch file does the following:
    Stops the IIS and ASP.NET state services
    Deletes and recreates the ASPNET account with a known temporary password
    Uses the Windows runas command to launch an executable that creates an ASPNET
    user profile
    Re-registers ASP.NET. This creates a new random password for the account and
    applies default ASP.NET access control settings for it
    Restarts the IIS service

    The batch file contains a hardcoded temporary password of "1password" which
    you will be prompted to enter for the runas command when the batch file is run.
    After the runas command completes, the ASPNET account password is recreated
    with a strong random value. Note that the batch file may fail if the hardcoded
    password does not meet the password complexity requirements in your
    environment. If that's the case, you can change it to another value that is
    appropriate for your environment.

    Important note: If you have added custom access control settings or database
    account permissions for the ASPNET account, they will need to be recreated
    after this batch file completes. This is because when the account is
    recreated, it will get a new security identifier (SID).

    Important note: If you are running the ASP.NET worker process with a custom
    account other than the ASPNET account, then you should not run this batch file.
    Instead, you should log in interactively or use the runas command with that
    account which will create a user profile for that account.

    The batch file is included in the self-extracting archive below. To use it:

    You must be running as an account with Administrator privileges
    Download and open the self-extracting executable file
    Extract the contents to c:\
    Select Run... from the start menu, and enter cmd.exe
    In the open command windows, type c:\fixup.cmd.
    When prompted, enter 1password as the password.
    If you have previously custom access control settings or database account
    permissions for the ASPNET account, you'll need to re-apply these settings now.
    Ask questions and get answers in the Issues with 'Server Application
    Unavailable' error on Windows XP forum.
    Many apologies for the inconvenience that this has caused. We'll post
    additional information as it becomes available.

    The matrix below details platforms and versions impacted by this issue.

    ..NET Framework Version # Platform Affected
    Version 1.0 Windows 2000 Professional No
    Version 1.0 Windows 2000 Server No
    Version 1.0 Windows XP Professional Yes
    Version 1.0 Windows Server 2003 No
    Version 1.0 Windows XP Home with Cassini No
    Version 1.1 Windows 2000 Professional No
    Version 1.1 Windows 2000 Server No
    Version 1.1 Windows XP Professional No
    Version 1.1 Windows Server 2003 No
    Version 1.1 Windows XP Home with Cassini No

    Thanks,
    The ASP.NET Team

    --
    Microsoft MVPs have a question for *you*: Are you patched against the Worm?
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/security_bulletins/ms03-026.asp

  8. #8

    "Frank Drebin" <com> wrote in message news:<MyJ1b.30484$news.prodigy.com>...
    > check? [/ref]

    Thanks to everybody in this thread - I realized I had this problem
    early and suffered through my own trial and error and quite a few
    "solutions that didn't work" found here. All in all I bet I invested
    4 or 5 hours trying to get back to normal. The crazy thing about this
    is that I normally wait a week or two for the dust to settle.
    However, recently many friends and neighbors got burned by the MBLAST
    worm (another 5 hours of my time helping them) and I thought it would
    be better to keep my shields up.

    I guess we got hit by friendly fire - these things eat up a lot of my
    prime time!

     [/ref]
    Ken Guest