Professional Web Applications Themes

Server cannot access application directory... The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings. - ASP.NET Security

Hi, I have this issue with the error below. Let me explain my goal and my server environement: Goal: To have 3 separate web servers reading ASP.NET files from the same directory on the same unique drive. EX: W:\. (This is not through a network share or a mapped drive. This is on a local drive using Fiber SAN technology.) I can acheive this with plain ASP or HTML files, not problems there, and it works. Server environement: -server a -> IP 10.0.0.1, ASP.NET web pages root directory W:\aspNet -server b -> IP 10.0.0.2, ASP.NET web pages root directory W:\aspNet ...

  1. #1

    Default Server cannot access application directory... The directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.

    Hi,

    I have this issue with the error below.

    Let me explain my goal and my server environement:

    Goal:
    To have 3 separate web servers reading ASP.NET files from the same directory
    on the same unique drive. EX: W:\. (This is not through a network share or
    a mapped drive. This is on a local drive using Fiber SAN technology.) I
    can acheive this with plain ASP or HTML files, not problems there, and it
    works.

    Server environement:
    -server a -> IP 10.0.0.1, ASP.NET web pages root directory W:\aspNet
    -server b -> IP 10.0.0.2, ASP.NET web pages root directory W:\aspNet
    -server c -> IP 10.0.0.3, ASP.NET web pages root directory W:\aspNet

    W:\ is a Storage Area network (SAN) and is connected with Fiber channel.

    To be able to read and write on the drive W:\ or the SAN, I use a software
    called ImageSan from Rorke data. [url]www.imagesan.com[/url].

    Easy setup, intuitive and it does the job. In can read files on the drive
    w:\ as if this drive was a local drive and this simultaniously from my 3
    servers.

    ImageSAN software:
    Works with clients, and one master:

    EX:

    -***(Master)*** server a -> IP 10.0.0.1, ASP.NET web pages root directory
    W:\aspNet
    -(Client) server b -> IP 10.0.0.2, ASP.NET web pages root directory
    W:\aspNet
    -(Client) server c -> IP 10.0.0.3, ASP.NET web pages root directory
    W:\aspNet

    Issue:
    I can run the ASP.NET web site if I use IE and call this page on the
    (MASTER) server wich is server a: EX: [url]http://10.0.0.1[/url]. This will
    successfully deliver the ASP.NET pages and the application will work.

    Although, if I use IE and call this page on a (CLINET) server, server b or
    c: EX: [url]http://10.0.0.2[/url]. or [url]http://10.0.0.3[/url] (Same files) This error below
    will occur.

    Server Error in '/' Application.

    ----

    Server cannot access application directory 'W:\the directory\'. The
    directory does not exist or is not accessible because of security settings.

    Exception Details: System.Web.HttpException: Server cannot access
    application directory 'W:\the directory\''. The directory does not exist or
    is not accessible because of security settings.

    Source Error:

    Stack Trace:

    [HttpException (0x80004005): Server cannot access application directory
    'W:\the directory'\'. The directory does not exist or is not accessible
    because of security settings.]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureAccessToApplicationDi rectory() +72
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContex t context) +263

    [HttpException (0x80004005): ASP.NET Initialization Error]
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContex t context) +965
    System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(Http WorkerRequest wr) +128

    ----

    Version:1.1.4322.573

    If I move the MASTER to server B for example, the same will happen, server B
    will load the web page , but not a or c. It basically shifts depending on
    where the master is.

    Please let me know what you think Microsoft staff, since I am a registered
    technet user.

    Thanks!

    Steve

    Guest

  2. #2

    I'm sorry but without any infos about how the ImageSAN software works, it's
    difficult to solve your problem.
    Does the ASPNET account has access to this folder? Try to use another
    account (ie a domain account) because of aspnet is a local account.

    HtH,
    Andrea

    <stevemnews.postalias> wrote in message
> [...]
    > is not accessible because of security settings.
    >
    > Source Error:

    > current web request. Information regarding the origin and location of the
    >

    > Stack Trace:
    >

    > [HttpException (0x80004005): Server cannot access application directory
    > 'W:\the directory'\'. The directory does not exist or is not accessible
    > because of security settings.]
    > System.Web.HttpRuntime.EnsureAccessToApplicationDi rectory() +72
    > System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContex t context) +263
    >
    > [HttpException (0x80004005): ASP.NET Initialization Error]
    > System.Web.HttpRuntime.FirstRequestInit(HttpContex t context) +965
    > System.Web.HttpRuntime.ProcessRequestInternal(Http WorkerRequest wr)
    +128

    > ----
    >
    > Version Information: Microsoft .NET Framework Version:1.1.4322.573;
    ASP.NET
    > Version:1.1.4322.573
    >
    > If I move the MASTER to server B for example, the same will happen, server
    > will load the web page , but not a or c. It basically shifts depending on
    > where the master is.
    >
    > Please let me know what you think Microsoft staff, since I am a registered
    > technet user.
    >
    > Thanks!
    >
    > Steve

    Andrea D'Onofrio [MSFT] Guest