Professional Web Applications Themes

Server Control Deployment and Client Scripts? - ASP.NET Building Controls

Barry, You shouldn't create that folder with your deployment. That folder is part of the Framework, and it already exists on the box. Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT] ASP.NET Developer Support [email]jamescheonline.microsoft.com[/email] This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights. -------------------- >Thread-Topic: Server Control Deployment and Client Scripts? >thread-index: AcQXTPMk3t5MXgHFTi68oaTSaVz8fQ== >X-Tomcat-NG: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols >From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgRm9ycmVzdA==?=" <barry.forrestps.net_remove> >References: <DBDDF2F3-E361-437C-B360-21BB99F5F171microsoft.com> <jaegxJpFEHA.612cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl> >Subject: RE: Server Control Deployment and Client Scripts? >Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:21:13 -0800 >Lines: 60 >Message-ID: <421EC06A-7659-4F73-92EC-4E18BC4B1D36microsoft.com> >MIME-Version: 1.0 >Content-Type: text/plain; > cht="Utf-8" >Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit >X-Newsreader: Microsoft CDO for Windows 2000 >Content-Class: urn:content-classes:message >Importance: normal ...

  1. #1

    Default RE: Server Control Deployment and Client Scripts?

    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgRm9ycmVzdA==?=" <barry.forrestps.net_remove>
    >Subject: RE: Server Control Deployment and Client Scripts?
    >Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 10:21:13 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
    >
    >Jim,
    Thanks for the response. Is there a tutorial you could point me to that
    illustrates what kind of package to use and what steps I need to take to
    get the folder structure created?

    Thanks,
    Barry

    ----- Jim Cheshire [MSFT] wrote: -----

    Barry,

    The aspnet_client folder will always be located in the root of the
    virtual
    server. Inside of it, you will have a system_web folder and then a
    folder
    for each version of the client scripts on the machine.

    Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    ASP.NET
    Developer Support
    [email]jamescheonline.microsoft.com[/email]

    --------------------
    >From: "=?Utf-8?B?QmFycnkgRm9ycmVzdA==?="
    <barry.forrestps.net_remove>>Subject: Server Control Deployment and Client
    Scripts?
    >Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2004 08:41:06 -0800
    >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
    >>Help,
    I've read interesting things in the book "Developing Microsoft®
    ASP.NET
    Server Controls and Components". They mention using shared client
    scripts
    from the web server stored in
    /aspnet_client/<assemblyName>/<assemblyVersion>

    My questions:
    What type of Setup and Deployment project do I need to use?
    How do I determine where the aspnet_client folder is located?
    (Our servers have InetPub/wwwRoot on drives other than C:\)
    How to I create the folder structure, especially with a dynamically
    generated assemblyVersion?

    Any help is appreciated.

    Barry

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT] Guest

  2. #2

    Barry,

    I'm not quite sure what you're looking for. But I've been trying to do a
    similar thing for the controls I built.
    I haven't tried this out myself yet but in Setup and Deployment project, you
    can add a Custom Action that creates the folder structure.
    You will probably need to utilize their Textbox or other UI view to gather
    which website - if you host multiple websites on a single machine - to
    install the controls on. Then you can pass the user response in a variable
    to the Custom Action. A Custom Action is basically a derived class of
    System.Configuration.Install.Installer.

    Visual Studio.NET doentation has a section dedicated to the S&D projects
    and it's quite helpful.

    I've actually been looking for information on how to add a custom dialog box
    other than ones found in the S&D project and have found no such information
    so far.
    I'd appreciate some info on that if you ever come across it.

    Good luck.
    Jiho

    Jiho Han Guest

  3. #3

    I would strongly caution anyone against doing this. The Framework that is
    actually executing your ASP.NET application is expecting a certain version
    of these client-side scripts to be on the machine. When we update the
    Framework, we also often provide updated implementation in these files. If
    you change the files on the box, you are going to cause problems most
    likely.

    These may not be binary files, but updating them manually outside of a .NET
    Framework update is the same as updating a .NET Framework BCL assembly
    manually. It simply should not ever be done.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT] Guest

  4. #4

    Jim,

    Can you clarify on what you are cautioning against? Is it the modification
    of the structure of the aspnet_client folder structure? Other than that,
    your associate Nikhil Kothari actually recommends that we do this in his
    book ASP.NET server controls and components. I'm a little confused as to
    why one MSFT employee would say one thing and the other would say another.

    How about the little question that I had on adding a custom dialog to the
    S&D Project? Is this possible at all and can you provide some resources for
    performing such customizations?
    Thanks much.

    Jiho

    "Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <jamescheonline.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > I would strongly caution anyone against doing this. The Framework that is
    > actually executing your ASP.NET application is expecting a certain version
    > of these client-side scripts to be on the machine. When we update the
    > Framework, we also often provide updated implementation in these files.
    If
    > you change the files on the box, you are going to cause problems most
    > likely.
    >
    > These may not be binary files, but updating them manually outside of a
    ..NET
    > Framework update is the same as updating a .NET Framework BCL assembly
    > manually. It simply should not ever be done.
    >
    > Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    > ASP.NET
    > Developer Support
    > [email]jamescheonline.microsoft.com[/email]
    >
    > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >

    > --------------------
    > >From: "Jiho Han" <jiho.haninfinityinfo.com>
    > >Subject: Re: Server Control Deployment and Client Scripts?
    > >Date: Fri, 2 Apr 2004 09:47:30 -0500
    > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFT NGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP11

    Jiho Han Guest

  5. #5

    Jiho,

    What I am cautioning against is changing the versions of the client-script
    files in the aspnet_client folder via your deployment. If you built your
    control on a different version of the Framework and you want to ensure that
    the correct version of the controls are added to the aspnet_client folder,
    that's fine, but any other change is a bad idea.

    In other words, adding new versions of the client files is fine. Changing
    those that are already there or removing ones already there is not.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT] Guest

  6. #6

    I see.
    The deployment method that I mentioned which is found in the server controls
    book is exactly the approach you suggest.
    One would be creating a brand new folder structure underneath the
    aspnet_client folder without touching its system_web_ui subfolder at all.

    i.e.

    under c:\inetput\wwwroot\,

    \aspnet_client
    \system_web_ui
    \1_0_0_0
    \myorg_web_ui
    \1_0_5_99
    \imgs
    button_on.gif
    button_off.gif
    \scripts
    button.js

    And that was what I was suggesting that the original poster do.

    Any news on my custom setup action question? :)
    Thanks

> [...]
    > >> of these client-side scripts to be on the machine. When we update the
    > >> Framework, we also often provide updated implementation in these files.
    > >If
    > >> you change the files on the box, you are going to cause problems most
    > >> likely.
    > >>
    > >> These may not be binary files, but updating them manually outside of a
    > >.NET
    > >> Framework update is the same as updating a .NET Framework BCL assembly
    > >> manually. It simply should not ever be done.
    > >>
    > >> Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    > >> ASP.NET
    > >> Developer Support
    > >> [email]jamescheonline.microsoft.com[/email]
    > >>
    > >> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >>

    > >> --------------------
    >
    >cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MSF TNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP1

    Jiho Han Guest

  7. #7

    Hi Jiho,

    That's perfectly fine, and as Nikhil says, that's what you would want to do
    so that you can ensure that your code runs against the correct version of
    the client scripts.

    As far as your custom action is concerned, I cannot answer that. I don't
    ever deal with Setup project issues. Hopefully someone here can assist
    with that.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT] Guest

  8. #8

    Ok, I appreciate it though.

    One more question about aspnet_client folder usage here:

    Is aspnet_client folder meant only for "client" files, meaning, .js scripts,
    ..css, .htc, etc. and not for .aspx files?
    I may have a commonly used .aspx file that I am trying to figure where to
    deploy. Think of a lookup control, for example.
    It would look like a text box with a magnifying glass button next to it.
    Once you click on the button, a dialog would pop up with a list of items
    from which you can pick, and when you close the dialog, the value is
    returned to the control and the text value shown in the textbox. The dialog
    then will have to, at least in my mind, be an .aspx page. Do you think it'd
    be a bad practice to put .aspx - albeit not application-specific - into
    aspnet_client folder?

    > Hi Jiho,
    >
    > That's perfectly fine, and as Nikhil says, that's what you would want to
    do
    > so that you can ensure that your code runs against the correct version of
    > the client scripts.
    >
    > As far as your custom action is concerned, I cannot answer that. I don't
    > ever deal with Setup project issues. Hopefully someone here can assist
    > with that.
    >
    > Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    > ASP.NET
    > Developer Support
    > [email]jamescheonline.microsoft.com[/email]
    >
    > This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    >
    > --------------------
    > >From: "Jiho Han" <jiho.haninfinityinfo.com>
    > >Subject: Re: Server Control Deployment and Client Scripts?
    > >Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 15:21:16 -0400
    > >Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols
    cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!cpmsftngxa10.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTF EED01.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP08
    > phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl
    > >
    > >I see.
    > >The deployment method that I mentioned which is found in the server
    > controls
    > >book is exactly the approach you suggest.
    > >One would be creating a brand new folder structure underneath the
    > >aspnet_client folder without touching its system_web_ui subfolder at all.
    > >
    > >i.e.
    > >
    > >under c:\inetput\wwwroot\,
    > >
    > >\aspnet_client
    > > \system_web_ui
    > > \1_0_0_0
    > > \myorg_web_ui
    > > \1_0_5_99
    > > \imgs
    > > button_on.gif
    > > button_off.gif
    > > \scripts
    > > button.js
    > >
    > >And that was what I was suggesting that the original poster do.
    > >
    > >Any news on my custom setup action question? :)
    > >Thanks
    > >
    > >Jiho
    > >
    > >"Jim Cheshire [MSFT]" <jamescheonline.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > >> Jiho,
    > >>
    > >> What I am cautioning against is changing the versions of the
    > client-script
    > >> files in the aspnet_client folder via your deployment. If you built
    your
    > >> control on a different version of the Framework and you want to ensure
    > >that
    > >> the correct version of the controls are added to the aspnet_client
    > folder,
    > >> that's fine, but any other change is a bad idea.
    > >>
    > >> In other words, adding new versions of the client files is fine.
    > Changing
    > >> those that are already there or removing ones already there is not.
    > >>
    > >> Jim Cheshire, MCSE, MCSD [MSFT]
    > >> ASP.NET
    > >> Developer Support
    > >> [email]jamescheonline.microsoft.com[/email]
    > >>
    > >> This post is provided "AS-IS" with no warranties and confers no rights.
    > >>
    > >> --------------------

    > >modification
    > that,
    > >another.

    > the
    > >> for

    > that
    > >> is
    > >> version
    > files.

    > rights.

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols

    >>cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2MS FTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGP
    > 1
    > >> 1

    > >do
    > >project,
    > of

    > >dialog

    > >> the
    > >then

    > no

    microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.buildingc ontrols:9774
    > >Microsoft®
    > >> client

    Jiho Han Guest

  9. #9

    I'd say it's a bad idea only because you will run into issues if crossing
    application boundaries. I can't think of any other problems with it.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT] Guest

  10. #10

    Sorry to drag this out longer but what do you mean by "crossing application
    boundaries"?

    Thanks

> [...]
    > >the
    > >> files.
    > >most

    > of
    > >assembly

    > >> rights.

    > >microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.building controls
    > >> >>

    >>>cpmsftngxa06.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNGXA01.phx.gbl!TK2M SFTNGP08.phx.gbl!TK2MSFTNG
    > >> 1

    > -
    > class
    > >> of

    S&D

    > >take

    > >of
    > and

    > confers
    > >> no

    > >and
    > >> 1.0
    > >> >> >> >>
    > >microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet.building controls:9774

    Jiho Han Guest

  11. #11

    Posting from one ASP.NET application to another ASP.NET application.
    Depending upon the architecture, you can encounter problems doing this.
    For example, Session state is application specific. ASP.NET authentication
    is application specific. Web.config configuration is application specific.

    Jim Cheshire [MSFT] Guest