Professional Web Applications Themes

Server Setup Questions - Macromedia Flash Flashcom

Hi, I'm new to FCS and need some help getting set up. I'm running on a windows box with IIS as the web server. I've got the FCS installed, but need to know some basic things like: What should my doc root directory be? samples, applications, or something else? Where should I put my client side files? I've already figured out my flv files need to go in the applications directory. Should I put all my client side folders in there or do I create a kind of mirrored folder structure between the app directory and the doc root? Are ...

  1. #1

    Default Server Setup Questions

    Hi,

    I'm new to FCS and need some help getting set up. I'm running on a windows
    box with IIS as the web server. I've got the FCS installed, but need to know
    some basic things like:

    What should my doc root directory be? samples, applications, or something else?

    Where should I put my client side files? I've already figured out my flv
    files need to go in the applications directory. Should I put all my client
    side folders in there or do I create a kind of mirrored folder structure
    between the app directory and the doc root?

    Are there any particular settings I should change or make to Windows or IIS to
    optimize this as a Flash Comm Server or is it enough to be set up like a
    regular web server?

    Thanks!

    topper2k Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Server Setup Questions

    idd recommend a linux distro and apache. saves more resources for the flashcom,
    which is a hog, a times, and its well, free.

    i also wouldnt recommend you putting the fcs doent root in your web root
    unless you really know what you're doing, and securing it really well. if you
    need to shuffle files around the flashcom server check out the linux/win file
    system functions in php, for example, and make sure you set the adeuquate
    permissions.

    dejayfx Guest

  3. #3

    My IT dept. insisted on a Windows server, so that's what I've got. Right now
    the doc root is set to the FCS "samples" folder, which doesn't really seem
    right to me. Should it be "applications" or something else?

    Also, am I correct in understanding that I'll be putting my server side files
    like flvs, etc. in the applications directory but the client side .swf files
    somewhere else? Or is it all supposed to go together?

    topper2k Guest

  4. #4

    well, if windows is a must, at least get apache on it, nowadays its far safer
    than iis, works a lot faster and with less overhead.

    erm, yea, you are correct, the flashcom root should be centered on the
    applications folder, those samples are just teasers macromedia provides.

    thats right, your server sided files would go in the flashcom doent root
    (the applications folder mentioned above), and those are the ones that get
    streamed, not served remotely through the rtmp connection.

    your swf files along with the rest of stuff that makes up your website(s) go
    into the web server's doc root to be served to the clients.

    just remember to at least htaccess the dirs where other people dont belong.

    dejayfx Guest

  5. #5

    Ok, I feel like I'm starting to get somewhere now, but of course every answer
    brings up more questions.

    My FCS doc root does appear to be set to the applications directory. My Web
    Server doc root seems to be set to the "Samples" directory. When I change
    this, the web server doc root can be whatever I want? It doesn't even have to
    be inside the Flash Comm folders?

    When you say "those are the ones that get streamed, not served remotely
    through the rtmp connection." I'm not sure I follow you. I guess I need to
    understand more about this rtmp connection. When my actionscript says
    something like:

    nc = new NetConnection();
    nc.connect("rtmp:/video_tutorial/video");

    then later,

    ns.play("somevideo");

    That's setting up and playing a stream of the file
    applications/video_tutorial/streams/video/somevideo.flv correct?

    topper2k Guest

  6. #6

    ill try to explain as detailed as i can.

    on the web, whenever there's flashcom involved we have 2 kinds of files. those
    that get served, i.e. a local copy resides on the target machine, in its cache,
    and those that get streamed, i.e. they are sent bit by bit to a local app on
    the target machine, and get processed there for whatever purpose.

    a swf, is a file of the first kind. its actually a local app (think
    actionscript) served through a browser, via the flash player plugin, that
    resides in the target machine (dont believe me? check your cache for swf's
    even) and does stuff.

    now. with the launch of flashcom server, macromedia gave that swf new powers.
    it can connect to a flashcom server app instance and do stuff with it.

    one of the kinds of stuff a swf can now do, is act as a player for the content
    streamed from a flashcom server. a stream is a flow of bits from either a
    remote file (the .flv residing on the flashcom server, for example), or a
    stream published to the flashcom server by another swf client.

    so, the two servers are independent. one is used to send files to a browser,
    the other is used to communicate between swf's, stream content or act silly.

    i wouldnt call putting the doc root of the web server into the samples folder
    a mistake, but at least for cleanness you could move it to another location.

    dejayfx Guest

  7. #7

    oh, and yea, your assumption is correct, those commands play a stream that comes from the .flv file on your server.
    dejayfx Guest