Professional Web Applications Themes

Server start / restart - MySQL

FreeBSD / UNIX platform, MySQL ver.4.0.16 Prob. of growing /tmp file, solved by introducing a cron job to clean up the folder intermittently. Prob.solve but new one created - mysql socket wiped out. Could not restart the server with all the standard methods. Complained of other running processes. Killed the orphaned processes runining. But still can't restart. So can't do a dump or any other back up action, so created a tar file of the data etc. Now I wanted to try an upgrade to a newer version but concerned about ability to restore data from the tarball. Does anyone ...

  1. #1

    Default Server start / restart

    FreeBSD / UNIX platform, MySQL ver.4.0.16
    Prob. of growing /tmp file, solved by introducing a cron job to clean up
    the folder intermittently. Prob.solve but new one created - mysql socket
    wiped out. Could not restart the server with all the standard methods.
    Complained of other running processes. Killed the orphaned processes
    runining. But still can't restart.

    So can't do a dump or any other back up action, so created a tar file of
    the data etc. Now I wanted to try an upgrade to a newer version but
    concerned about ability to restore data from the tarball.

    Does anyone have any idea of how can effect a restart before running to
    do an Upgrade?

    Thanks
    Adam Smith Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Server start / restart

    "Adam Smith" <adamsmithecon.com> wrote in message
    > Does anyone have any idea of how can effect a restart before running to
    > do an Upgrade?
    Try rebooting the FreeBSD server host.

    Regards,
    Bill K.

    Bill Karwin Guest

  3. #3

    >FreeBSD / UNIX platform, MySQL ver.4.0.16
    >Prob. of growing /tmp file, solved by introducing a cron job to clean up
    >the folder intermittently. Prob.solve but new one created - mysql socket
    >wiped out.
    So don't delete *SOCKETS* with your cron job.
    >Could not restart the server with all the standard methods.
    >Complained of other running processes. Killed the orphaned processes
    >runining. But still can't restart.
    What error message do you get? If safe_mysqld is running, when you
    killed mysqld, it may have restarted automatically (and should have
    re-created the socket).
    >So can't do a dump or any other back up action, so created a tar file of
    >the data etc. Now I wanted to try an upgrade to a newer version but
    >concerned about ability to restore data from the tarball.
    Assuming that the data was not being actively changed when you made
    the tarball (likely if the server wasn't working), this should
    not be a problem. Be sure to restore ownership and file permissions.
    >Does anyone have any idea of how can effect a restart before running to
    >do an Upgrade?
    Kill off safe_mysqld (if it's running), then mysqld.

    Gordon L. Burditt
    Gordon Burditt Guest

  4. #4

    Gordon Burditt wrote:
    >>FreeBSD / UNIX platform, MySQL ver.4.0.16
    >>Prob. of growing /tmp file, solved by introducing a cron job to clean up
    >>the folder intermittently. Prob.solve but new one created - mysql socket
    >>wiped out.
    >

    > So don't delete *SOCKETS* with your cron job.
    Point taken - in full agreement,
    Changed location of socket to its own dedicated location ==>
    /usr/local/var/mysql
    >>Could not restart the server with all the standard methods.
    >>Complained of other running processes. Killed the orphaned processes
    >>runining. But still can't restart.
    >

    > What error message do you get? If safe_mysqld is running, when you
    > killed mysqld, it may have restarted automatically (and should have
    > re-created the socket).
    Error message
    ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/usr/local/var/mysql' (38)
    current message becaused of changes made to /etc/my.cnf file for new
    location. Identical message when the SNAFU occurrred, but with /tmp instead

    >>So can't do a dump or any other back up action, so created a tar file of
    >>the data etc. Now I wanted to try an upgrade to a newer version but
    >>concerned about ability to restore data from the tarball.
    >

    > Assuming that the data was not being actively changed when you made
    > the tarball (likely if the server wasn't working), this should
    > not be a problem. Be sure to restore ownership and file permissions.

    Likely or unlikely? Shouldn't all the file permission be retained in
    tarball, I do expect redo GRANT PRIVILLEGES

    >>Does anyone have any idea of how can effect a restart before running to
    >>do an Upgrade?
    >

    > Kill off safe_mysqld (if it's running), then mysqld.
    mysqld killed,

    > Gordon L. Burditt
    Adam Smith Guest

  5. #5

    >>>FreeBSD / UNIX platform, MySQL ver.4.0.16
    >>>Prob. of growing /tmp file, solved by introducing a cron job to clean up
    >>>the folder intermittently. Prob.solve but new one created - mysql socket
    >>>wiped out.
    >>

    >> So don't delete *SOCKETS* with your cron job.
    >
    >Point taken - in full agreement,
    >Changed location of socket to its own dedicated location ==>
    >/usr/local/var/mysql
    It's still probably a bad idea to delete *sockets* out of /tmp unless
    you have a problem with *sockets* cluttering up /tmp. If you're using
    find(1) it's easy to limit it like this.

    Are you *sure* you put the socket there? /usr/local/var/mysql seems
    like it would be a *directory*, not a socket.
    >>>Could not restart the server with all the standard methods.
    >>>Complained of other running processes. Killed the orphaned processes
    >>>runining. But still can't restart.
    >>

    >> What error message do you get? If safe_mysqld is running, when you
    >> killed mysqld, it may have restarted automatically (and should have
    >> re-created the socket).
    >
    >Error message
    >ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    >'/usr/local/var/mysql' (38)
    perror 38 gives 'Socket operation on non-socket'.
    Are you *sure* your socket is /usr/local/var/mysql, not
    /usr/local/var/mysql/mysql.sock or something like that?

  6. #6

    Gordon Burditt wrote:

    >>>So don't delete *SOCKETS* with your cron job.
    >>
    >>Point taken - in full agreement,
    >>Changed location of socket to its own dedicated location ==>
    >>/usr/local/var/mysql
    >

    > It's still probably a bad idea to delete *sockets* out of /tmp unless
    > you have a problem with *sockets* cluttering up /tmp. If you're using
    > find(1) it's easy to limit it like this.

    Well not *sockets* but many session and temp files, so a rm * in the
    cron file removed it
    > Are you *sure* you put the socket there? /usr/local/var/mysql seems
    > like it would be a *directory*, not a socket.

    Yes, I am asumming that it needed the absolute path to the socket
    directory rather than to the socket itself. Although, I changed this in
    the /etc/my.cnf file and later did a compilation to vers 5.0.18
    Here is the config used.

    ../configure CFLAGS="-O3" CXX=gcc CXXFLAGS="-O3 -felide-constructors
    -fno-exceptions -fno-rtti" --prefix=/usr/local/mysql --enable-assembler
    --enable-thread-safe-client --enable-local-infile
    --with-unix-socket-path=/usr/local/var/mysql --with-mysqld-user=mysql
    --with-openssl --with-big-tables --with-archive-storage-engine
    --with-csv-storage-engine --localstatedir=/usr/db/mysql

    **** "--with-unix-socket-path" ??? led to the directory assumption

    Anyway used both approaches, but neiher solved the problem

    Error!!!???

    On Running
    mysql_install_db ==>

    Neither host 'econn' and 'localhost' could not be looked up with
    /usr/local/bin/resolveip
    Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
    If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
    the --force option

    but the hostname and at the very least localhost is OK they are set in
    the /etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts files

    [Caveat - the hostname entry has the domain extension '*.com',
    hostname -s removes the extension]

    so I used the --force option then
    mach1# pwd
    /usr/local/mysql/bin
    mach1# mysqld_safe &
    [1] 3213
    mach1# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
    060126 06:42:01 mysqld ended
    Then tried
    mach1# mysqladmin version
    mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    '/usr/local/var/mysql' (38)'
    Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
    '/usr/local/var/mysql' exists!

    It does exist w/ permissons of drwxrwxrwt

    Any suggestions?

    >>>What error message do you get? If safe_mysqld is running, when you
    >>>killed mysqld, it may have restarted automatically (and should have
    >>>re-created the socket).
    >>
    >>Error message
    >>ERROR 2002: Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    >>'/usr/local/var/mysql' (38)
    >

    > perror 38 gives 'Socket operation on non-socket'.
    > Are you *sure* your socket is /usr/local/var/mysql, not
    > /usr/local/var/mysql/mysql.sock or something like that?
    >

    >>current message becaused of changes made to /etc/my.cnf file for new
    >>location. Identical message when the SNAFU occurrred, but with /tmp instead
    >

    > Gordon L. Burditt

    Adam Smith Guest

  7. #7

    >Well not *sockets* but many session and temp files, so a rm * in the
    >cron file removed it
    I suggest you *NOT* remove *sockets* in /tmp. Don't do "rm *"
    (which will fail with "arguments too long" if it gets too cluttered
    up too fast anyway).
    >On Running
    >mysql_install_db ==>
    >
    >Neither host 'econn' and 'localhost' could not be looked up with
    >/usr/local/bin/resolveip
    >Please configure the 'hostname' command to return a correct hostname.
    >If you want to solve this at a later stage, restart this script with
    >the --force option
    >
    >but the hostname and at the very least localhost is OK they are set in
    >the /etc/rc.conf and /etc/hosts files
    >
    >[Caveat - the hostname entry has the domain extension '*.com',
    >hostname -s removes the extension]
    >
    >so I used the --force option then
    > mach1# pwd
    > /usr/local/mysql/bin
    > mach1# mysqld_safe &
    > [1] 3213
    > mach1# Starting mysqld daemon with databases from /var/db/mysql
    > 060126 06:42:01 mysqld ended
    >Then tried
    > mach1# mysqladmin version
    > mysqladmin: connect to server at 'localhost' failed
    > error: 'Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket
    >'/usr/local/var/mysql' (38)'
    > Check that mysqld is running and that the socket:
    >'/usr/local/var/mysql' exists!
    >
    >It does exist w/ permissons of drwxrwxrwt
    That's NOT a socket! That's a directory!
    Error 38 is 'socket operation on non-socket'.

    The mysqld variable 'socket' (shown with "mysqld --verbose --help",
    using an appropriate path for mysqld) on my system has the value
    /tmp/mysql.sock. If yours does not end in .sock, fix it so it does
    or come up with a darn good excuse for why not.

    You can also see this with "mysqladmin variables" but only
    if you can actually get the server to start first.

    Gordon L. Burditt
    Gordon Burditt Guest