Professional Web Applications Themes

Service pack 1 - Windows XP/2000/ME

Can anyone assist please. I have 2 PCs networked,both connected to the internet by 56k dial up. My ISP disconnects me every 2 hours, and it took approx 4 hours to download Service Pack 1. Rather than have to go through the same process again for PC2,can anyone advise which files I can copy across from PC1. Thanks --- Outgoing mail is certified Virus Free. Checked by AVG anti-virus system ([url]http://www.grisoft.com[/url]). Version: 6.0.497 / Virus Database: 296 - Release Date: 04/07/2003...

  1. #1

    Default Service pack 1

    Can anyone assist please.

    I have 2 PCs networked,both connected to the internet by 56k dial up.
    My ISP disconnects me every 2 hours, and it took approx 4 hours to download
    Service Pack 1.
    Rather than have to go through the same process again for PC2,can anyone
    advise which files I can copy across from PC1.

    Thanks

    ---

    Dave INM Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Service pack 1

    Dave INM wrote:
    > Can anyone assist please.
    >
    > I have 2 PCs networked,both connected to the internet by 56k dial up.
    > My ISP disconnects me every 2 hours, and it took approx 4 hours to
    > download Service Pack 1.
    > Rather than have to go through the same process again for PC2,can
    > anyone advise which files I can copy across from PC1.
    >
    > Thanks
    >

    > ---

    If you've performed an Express installation then you're SOL. The files are
    immediately integrated into the OS and cannot be copied. What you would need
    to do is download (or as you're on dial-up ask a friend with DSL to
    download) the Network installation which can be found here
    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.asp[/url]
    (or [url]http://tinyurl.com/171p[/url] if above link wraps). It's about 134MB which
    would take about 7 hours or so over a 56K connection so you'd need to find
    someone with broadband.

    Unfortunately, there is no UK-based link to order SP1a on disc. However, you
    might like to call MS UK on 0870 60 10 100 to ask for a Service Pack disc to
    be shipped to you - there will probably be a nominal postage charge.

    --
    Cassandra
    Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People

    Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
    of 1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
    uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
    Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post
    all correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

    Amethyst Guest

  3. #3

    Many thanks

    Dave

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.as[/url]

  4. #4

    "Amethyst" <amethysthotmail.com> wrote in message
    > Dave INM wrote:
    > > Can anyone assist please.
    > >
    > > I have 2 PCs networked,both connected to the internet by 56k dial up.
    > > My ISP disconnects me every 2 hours, and it took approx 4 hours to
    > > download Service Pack 1.
    > > Rather than have to go through the same process again for PC2,can
    > > anyone advise which files I can copy across from PC1.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > ---
    >

    > If you've performed an Express installation then you're SOL. The files are
    > immediately integrated into the OS and cannot be copied. What you would
    need
    > to do is download (or as you're on dial-up ask a friend with DSL to
    > download) the Network installation which can be found here

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.asp[/url]
    > (or [url]http://tinyurl.com/171p[/url] if above link wraps). It's about 134MB which
    > would take about 7 hours or so over a 56K connection so you'd need to find
    > someone with broadband.
    >
    > Unfortunately, there is no UK-based link to order SP1a on disc. However,
    you
    > might like to call MS UK on 0870 60 10 100 to ask for a Service Pack disc
    > be shipped to you - there will probably be a nominal postage charge.
    >
    > --
    > Cassandra
    > Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People
    > Too!'
    >
    > Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
    > of 1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
    > uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
    > Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post
    > all correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

    Actually, there is a link to order SP1a on CD in the UK. It's just difficult
    to find. [url]http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windowsxp/servicepacks/sp1.asp[/url] and
    select "Order the Windows XP SP-1 CD" link and you will be taken to the
    on-line order form. The CD is free in the UK and Ireland.

    Mark Weinreb Guest

  5. #5

    "Amethyst" <amethysthotmail.com> wrote in message news:berb30$19i$1newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
    > Dave INM wrote:
    > > Can anyone assist please.
    > >
    > > I have 2 PCs networked,both connected to the internet by 56k dial up.
    > > My ISP disconnects me every 2 hours, and it took approx 4 hours to
    > > download Service Pack 1.
    > > Rather than have to go through the same process again for PC2,can
    > > anyone advise which files I can copy across from PC1.
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >

    > > ---
    >

    > If you've performed an Express installation then you're SOL. The files are
    > immediately integrated into the OS and cannot be copied. What you would need
    > to do is download (or as you're on dial-up ask a friend with DSL to
    > download) the Network installation which can be found here
    > [url]http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default..asp[/url]
    > (or [url]http://tinyurl.com/171p[/url] if above link wraps). It's about 134MB which
    > would take about 7 hours or so over a 56K connection so you'd need to find
    > someone with broadband.
    Though (this one in a million chance) you may be forgiven for giving false info. MS still has the network installation file listed as 134megbyte file size, but since they removed the Java VM from it, it is just over 125megs!

    SP1a Network Installation (32-Bit) 125.09 MB file

    Ted Guest

  6. #6

    Mark Weinreb wrote:
    > "Amethyst" <amethysthotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> Dave INM wrote:
    >>> Can anyone assist please.
    >>>
    >>> I have 2 PCs networked,both connected to the internet by 56k dial
    >>> up.
    >>> My ISP disconnects me every 2 hours, and it took approx 4 hours to
    >>> download Service Pack 1.
    >>> Rather than have to go through the same process again for PC2,can
    >>> anyone advise which files I can copy across from PC1.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks
    >>>

    >>> ---
    >>

    >> If you've performed an Express installation then you're SOL. The
    >> files are immediately integrated into the OS and cannot be copied.
    >> What you would need to do is download (or as you're on dial-up ask a
    >> friend with DSL to download) the Network installation which can be
    >> found here

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/pro/downloads/servicepacks/sp1/default.asp[/url]
    >> (or [url]http://tinyurl.com/171p[/url] if above link wraps). It's about 134MB
    >> which would take about 7 hours or so over a 56K connection so you'd
    >> need to find someone with broadband.
    >>
    >> Unfortunately, there is no UK-based link to order SP1a on disc.
    >> However, you might like to call MS UK on 0870 60 10 100 to ask for a
    >> Service Pack disc to be shipped to you - there will probably be a
    >> nominal postage charge.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Cassandra
    >> Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People
    >> Too!'
    >>
    >> Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults,
    >> bequests
    >> of 1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co
    >> (dot)
    >> uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
    >> Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post
    >> all correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.
    >>

    > Actually, there is a link to order SP1a on CD in the UK. It's just
    > difficult to find.
    > [url]http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windowsxp/servicepacks/sp1.asp[/url] and select
    > "Order the Windows XP SP-1 CD" link and you will be taken to the
    > on-line order form. The CD is free in the UK and Ireland.

    Thanks Mark - bookmarked for future reference.

    Cass
    --
    Cassandra
    Card carrying member of the Fresh Start Club 'The Undead Are People
    Too!'

    Reply address is fake. Please send all praise, abuse, insults, bequests
    of 1million to cassandra (at) craigy34 (dot) freeserve (dot) co (dot)
    uk. Change the obvious to the obvious.
    Private requests for assistance will not be acknowledged. Please post
    all correspondence to the group so that all may benefit. Thank you.

    Amethyst Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Paul Guest