Professional Web Applications Themes

Services - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

Trying to modify preferences for users on my computer, but I can't because it says the Server service is not started. Any idea how to start it?...

  1. #1

    Default Services

    Trying to modify preferences for users on my computer,
    but I can't because it says the Server service is not
    started. Any idea how to start it?
    Brandon Deppert Guest

  2. #2

    It appears that I have an ailing Services menu on one of these machines.
    In the Finder, no services are available. In Cocoa apps, there is a
    large suite of services and none in for Carbon apps- even those that
    should have Services enabled (Mariner Write, for example).

    When I go looking for services, there are only a few listed in
    /System/Library/Services
    and then a few in the admin home directory.

    All other machines here have services in the Finder, Cocoa applications
    and some Carbon Applications.

    Any clues on how to track this problem down?

    Cheers.

    wheat Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: services

    In <bf11qt$56c$1geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> wheat wrote:
    > It appears that I have an ailing Services menu on one of these
    > machines. In the Finder, no services are available. In Cocoa apps,
    > there is a large suite of services
    That's the problem. Remove some services. Above some limit (IIRC it's
    something like 70 services) they stop appearing in Carbon altogether. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = [email]matttidbits.com[/email], [url]http://www.tidbits.com/matt[/url]
    REALbasic: The Definitive Guide! 2nd edition!

  4. #4

    matt neuburg wrote:
    > In <bf11qt$56c$1geraldo.cc.utexas.edu> wheat wrote:
    >
    >>It appears that I have an ailing Services menu on one of these
    >>machines. In the Finder, no services are available. In Cocoa apps,
    >>there is a large suite of services
    >

    > That's the problem. Remove some services. Above some limit (IIRC it's
    > something like 70 services) they stop appearing in Carbon altogether. m.

    Hmmm, thanks- I will look into it. At first blush (rapid clicking
    through Finder windows) I see very few services in /Library;
    /System/Library and ~/Library.
    Will just have to search for *.service and see what pops up. I don't
    really understand the model for .services- perhaps they are in varied
    directories.

    I was suspicious of Duality, but it seems to only affect a few resources
    and does not explain why it shows for Cocoa apps and not Carbon- your
    explanation is much better, thanks.

    cheers

    wheat Guest

  5. #5

    In article <bf11qt$56c$1geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,
    wheat <harvest-thismail.utexas.edu> wrote:
    > It appears that I have an ailing Services menu on one of these machines.
    > In the Finder, no services are available. In Cocoa apps, there is a
    > large suite of services and none in for Carbon apps- even those that
    > should have Services enabled (Mariner Write, for example).
    >
    > When I go looking for services, there are only a few listed in
    > /System/Library/Services
    > and then a few in the admin home directory.
    >
    > All other machines here have services in the Finder, Cocoa applications
    > and some Carbon Applications.
    >
    > Any clues on how to track this problem down?
    >
    > Cheers.
    Services for carbon apps was introduced wih Jaguar. And services doesn't need
    to be in a specific folder, but can live within application bundles.

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  6. #6

    Sandman wrote:
    > In article <bf11qt$56c$1geraldo.cc.utexas.edu>,
    > wheat <harvest-thismail.utexas.edu> wrote:
    >

    >>It appears that I have an ailing Services menu on one of these machines.
    >>In the Finder, no services are available. In Cocoa apps, there is a
    >>large suite of services and none in for Carbon apps- even those that
    >>should have Services enabled (Mariner Write, for example).
    >>
    >>When I go looking for services, there are only a few listed in
    >>/System/Library/Services
    >>and then a few in the admin home directory.
    >>
    >>All other machines here have services in the Finder, Cocoa applications
    >>and some Carbon Applications.
    >>
    >>Any clues on how to track this problem down?
    >>
    >>Cheers.
    >

    > Services for carbon apps was introduced wih Jaguar. And services doesn't need
    > to be in a specific folder, but can live within application bundles.

    Thanks, no to choose which services to keep in order to retain the use
    of services in the Finder and other Carbon apps. Choices...choices.

    It does make me wonder if this will necessitate a panel to control
    services, or per application preferences. We just have many
    applications on these machines (+400)- too many to crawl through each
    and eliminate their service.

    cheers.

    wheat Guest

  7. #7

    Don't think you can, but you can use Sc.exe to do it. See the online help
    for examples.

    <snip>
    obj= {AccountName | ObjectName}
    Specifies a name of an account in which a service will run, or specifies a
    name of the Windows driver object in which the driver will run. The default
    is LocalSystem.
    <snip>

    Regards,
    /Jimmy
    --
    Jimmy Andersson, Q Advice AB
    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services

    "BAD" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > How can I use a "Net" command to change a service login/password before
    starting??

    Jimmy Andersson [MVP] Guest