Professional Web Applications Themes

session variable lost - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

Hi, Some time ago I started losing session variables. Tried lots of stuff, but the only thing that worked was to restore my cfm files from a backup. I thought at the time that the cfm files were somehow getting munged... The frequency with which this started happening has been increasing, but each time restoring the cfm files in the scope of the login process fixed the error... coincidentally it seems. The problem occurs on every machine connected to the network. Ther server, which is running CFMX, works fine. All Systems are running WIndows XP with Service Pack 1, and ...

  1. #1

    Default session variable lost

    Hi,

    Some time ago I started losing session variables. Tried lots of stuff, but the
    only thing that worked was to restore my cfm files from a backup. I thought at
    the time that the cfm files were somehow getting munged... The frequency with
    which this started happening has been increasing, but each time restoring the
    cfm files in the scope of the login process fixed the error... coincidentally
    it seems.

    The problem occurs on every machine connected to the network. Ther server,
    which is running CFMX, works fine. All Systems are running WIndows XP with
    Service Pack 1, and a hotfix or two as well.

    The problem occurs as the frameset is loaded. I saw a post from another user
    suggesting a P3P policy be used, which I have done, but that did not work.

    index.cfm has a form with user name and password. User logs in successfully.
    Index.cfm runs login.cfm which sets up the session.userid variable (and it
    works). Login.cfm then runs rolemenu.cfm which loads user preferences and
    configures the user environment. Rolemenu.cfm has session.variable available.

    Next, rolemenu.cfm runs members.cfm, which loads a frameset. Each of these
    frameset <cfinclude>'s a script called header.cfm which contains common JS
    routines and also a test for session.userid, which is now lost.

    <cfif NOT isDefined('session.userid')>
    <cflocation URL="jump.html">
    </cfif>

    which returns the user to index.cfm, since the user does not appear to have
    logged on (at least that's what header.cfm thinks!)

    I'm at a loss as to what to try next. I'm now falling behind in the site
    development...

    Here's what I've tried

    Restored all above named scripts
    Restored entire site
    Rebooted server and work station
    Started/stopped IIS (5.1)
    Started/stopped CFMX
    Uninstall/Reinstall CFMX
    Add <cfheader name="p3p"...> to members.cfm, index.cfm and header.cfm
    Checked all systems for viruses, trojans etc (nothing found.. systems clean)
    Rebooted firewall/router (now I'm really grabbing at straws :-)
    Deleted site in DWMX and recreated
    Deleted site cache and recreated
    Set IE privacy to "Accept all cookies" (no privacy)

    On a previous occasion I also reinstalled the OS on both the server and two of
    the workstations, but that didn't work either.

    Any help/advice is greatly appreciated...

    thanks
    Tanya

    Rustywater Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: session variable lost

    can you tell me what you have in your Application.cfm file?

    I don't know how you are running your application, but I would try this
    thing.. in your Application.cfm file have,

    <cfapplication sessionmanagement="yes" clientmanagement="yes"
    setclientcookies="yes">

    adonis1976 Guest

  3. #3

    I had a similar problem some time ago.

    Have a look at this technote it may descirbe what is happening.

    Missing session variables when using the cflocation tag
    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/cfusion/knowledgebase/index.cfm?id=tn_18171[/url]

    MikeDon Guest