Professional Web Applications Themes

Set collate property in Adobe Reader - Adobe Acrobat SDK

I'm looking to pass collate=true into Adobe Reader doents from xfdf. Is this possible? Thanks...

Sponsored Links

Default Set collate property in Adobe Reader

I'm looking to pass collate=true into Adobe Reader doents from xfdf.

Is this possible?

Thanks
    Sponsored Links
    Douglas_Willis@adobeforums.com Guest

Default Re: Set collate property in Adobe Reader

No.
    PDL@adobeforums.com Guest

Does Adobe plan to correct the collate issue?

I see a link <http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=333222> to instructions how to change the windows registry but too risky for end users.

Thanks,
    Doug

The issue has been closed as fixed in Acrobat / Reader 9. Do you find that it is still not working in version 9?

too risky for end users.

Do you not use some sort of workstation management software in your environment that can push this out to your end users (like a GPO in AD)?

If fixed in Adobe / Reader 9, what print variable would I set to true or 1 to get it to collate? ...something like pp.NumCopies = 2

We recommend our end users keep current with the latest version of Adobe Reader. We don't push any third party software in our release install.

Thanks,
    Doug

A GPO is not 3rd party software, but if you're unfamiliar with GPO deployments then that answers my question anyways - must not be using them! :)

If fixed in Adobe / Reader 9, what print variable would I set to true
    or 1 to get it to collate?

I fail to see where in that doent or in the original issue log it mentions anything about a JavaScript print variable to enable/disable collate. Could you tell me where you see this information in that KB doent?

My original post asks if it can be set from xfdf. Your response was:

PDL - 9:47am Sep 19, 08 PST

NO

Note sure what KB doent refers to. We pass number copies, number pages, simplex/duplex through javascript. Seems logical that collate would be similar.

I don't care how we set collate to enabled. I need it without changing the registry.

Doug

I don't care how we set collate to enabled. I need it without changing
    the registry.

Those two statements contradict each other. The way to do it is via the registry. You were taking a KB doent completely out of context without explaining what part of it you were actually interested in, so my comment about being "fixed" has no bearing on what you're actually looking for.

If you don't want your end users to do it themselves, you will have to come up with a secure way of installing a registry patch on their machines that enable this (I suggested GPO but this is only valid in an Active Directory environment). How you handle this will depend entirely on how your systems are setup and what form of network management you use, if any.

Perhaps a more clearly stated question to have asked would be "Is there any way to enable host-based collation without editing the registry?". The answer to that is still no.

Have you submitted a feature request for Adobe to consider in a future release of Acrobat / Reader?

That's odd. Other applications i.e. Word do not require changing the registry to allow host collating.

Must be confined to Adobe products.

Neither does Acrobat, unless you're trying to do it programatically. Once again, you're not defining your problem clearly and taking a lot for granted.

Must be confined to Adobe products.

Nope, not at all.

No Microsoft Internet Explorer is involved.

PDF library exists on AIX server. xfdf is generated on the server for the PDF. Both files ftp'd to Windows workstation. xfdf is launched which opens and populates PDF. xfdf also passes print parameters into the print button so the user does not have to remember how many copies, duplex/simplex, number of pages (these are set on the AIX server). Since user clicks the print button, the print dialog is not used and collate option is not available.

If Adobe reader 9 would default collate to true/enabled or whatever term you wish, that would solve my issue. MS Word defaults to collate enabled with no action on the users part. This seems to be something that should have been done at the time Adobe reader 9 is installed.

I have been run in circles for several months trying to get a solution to what should never been a problem. This seems to be a common complaint with Adobe.

If I can't get a simple answer to what my colleagues agree should be a simple thing to correct, I'll have to explain the problem is with Adobe in my doentation.

No Microsoft Internet Explorer is involved.

Word isn't involved either per your explanation of your workflow above, but you brought it up. If you re-read the post you'll also notice I was responding to your "must be limited to Adobe products" (which is blatantly false) by providing an example of a non-Adobe product that has the same "problem" (which proves your statement is blatantly false).

trying to get a solution to what should never been a problem

Why, because 1 other application you use does it that way? Different applications have different defaults based on research done to determine what the majority of that applications user base prefers.

If I can't get a simple answer

You have already been offered several simple solutions. If you choose not to use any of them that is up to you. You've also been told you can submit a feature request to have your specific option considered for a future version, which you ignored.

I'll have to explain the problem is with Adobe in my doentation.

If you choose to commit libel against a major corporation, that's up to you.

You have been offered several solutions, including a JavaScript-based solution that can be scripted from inside your current print button. You have also been offered an avenue to request that your specific option be added to future versions of the product. If you care to investigate a way to implement any of the solutions you've been offered, I'll gladly help you. If you continue to whine, attack and threaten then I will forward this thread to Adobe Legal for follow-up on your threat of libel.

Sorry if I sound harsh. I'm trying to complete this project and move to another. I don't plan to say anything negative about Adobe in doentation. I just need to explain to our customers that the collate setting is not a default.

If you have JavaScript examples that can be scripted in the print button or where I can find them, I'd appreciate it. I've looked in the JavaScript for Acrobat API and didn't see anything. I'm a novice at JavaScript but can probably write something from an example.

How many copies would you be printing at one time, and how many pages (just a ballpark average) are in the doent?

Thanks for logging the enhancement request.

These are banking doents. Most are 3 pages but some up to 13 pages. Most will only print 1 copy but a few will print up to 4 copies depending on the bank's preference and status of the savings account (in process, open...)

Doug

So at a maximum you'd be printing 13 x 4 = 52 pages. Not so bad. Let me work on some JS and get back to you (probably tomorrow - have to head out soon).

Douglas,

Here is a folder-level function that will print 'iCopies' copies of a doent, collated. This can also run from a doent-level script, but as you know doent-level printing can't be silent so I made it folder-level. Basically it just loops through the doent and prints each page, in order, iCopies times. That way the output from the printer is exactly the same as if it were collated.

CollateAndPrint = app.trustedFunction( function(oDoc)
    {
    var iCopies = 3;
    var iPages = oDoc.numPages;
    var cPath = oDoc.path;

app.beginPriv();
    var pp = oDoc.getPrintParams();
    pp.NumCopies = iCopies;
    pp.interactive = pp.constants.interactionLevel.silent;
    for ( var i = 0; i < iPages; i++ ) { pp.firstPage = i; pp.lastPage = i;

oDoc.print(pp);
    }
    app.endPriv();
    });

This looks like something I can make work.

Thanks.

PDL,

This got me to the solution. Instead of:

for ( var i = 0; i < iPages; i++ ) { pp.firstPage = i; pp.lastPage = i; oDoc.print(pp); }

I set

pp.NumCopies = 1;

and

for ( var c = 0; c < iCopies; c++ ) { ; oDoc.print(pp); }

Thanks for all your help.

Doug