Professional Web Applications Themes

Set From: address in Mail.app - Mac Applications & Software

Surely this is possible, and I'm just not seeing it... I need to be able to set different From: addresses depending on which "hat" I'm wearing. Personal email is one address, school email is another, corporate email is a third. How is this configured in Apple Mail? (Latest version, I think - 1.2.5 v552?). Or do I have to switch to something like Entourage (would obviously rather not), or Thunderbird (v0.2 - kinda scares me)...? Thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Set From: address in Mail.app

    Surely this is possible, and I'm just not seeing it... I need to be
    able to set different From: addresses depending on which "hat" I'm
    wearing. Personal email is one address, school email is another,
    corporate email is a third. How is this configured in Apple Mail?
    (Latest version, I think - 1.2.5 v552?). Or do I have to switch to
    something like Entourage (would obviously rather not), or Thunderbird
    (v0.2 - kinda scares me)...?

    Thanks!
    Wendell Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Set From: address in Mail.app

    On 14 Sep 2003, com wrote:

    I presume that if you have different email addresses, you get email at
    each of those addresses? If so, simply create an account for each of
    them from Mail.app Preferences. I have 4 or 5 accounts.

    When configuring the accounts, you can decide whether you want to
    manually get mail for that account, or get it automatically whenever you
    "get mail".

    After creating several accounts, when you create new message, the
    From: line will be a menu item -- you can select the address you want.
    The default value for From: will be the first account in the list in the
    Preferences pane.

    Because I use rules to move messages into specific mailboxes, I set my
    default address to be the one that gets the most messages -- but I do
    occasionally send a message with a From: that's not what I wish I had --
    I forgot to check. But it works fine.

    joe
    Joe Guest

  3. #3

    Joe Davison <net> writes: [/ref]

    That's actually an unnecessary presumption and it's
    annoying that most mail programs make it as well.

    Unfortunately, that's still what one has to do. In my
    case, what I do is put bogus POP information and then
    tell it never to check that mailbox.

    There ought to be a different set of selections for
    outgoing mail "personality" versus incoming mail account.

    But there isn't. So just set up each new personality
    as a new account, put in bogus POP info, tell it never
    to check that account, and you're as close as Mail.app
    gets you. You'll have some wasted space in your folders
    drawer, as each bogus account has a bogus inbox, a
    bogus trash, etc. But you'll have your choice of how
    each outgoing message gets addressed (and signed) in
    a pop-up.

    No HTML in E-Mail! -- http://www.expita.com/nomime.html
    BreadWithSpam@fractious.net Guest

  4. #4

    Joe Davison <net> wrote in message news:<client.attbi.com>...

    Well, sort of... Two of the addresses are basically the same (two
    different domains hosted on the same box, with the same mailbox
    getting mail via Sendmail aliases); one is a forward from a school
    account.

    Hmm. I created a second account (using a working, but mailless,
    username and password I created for this experiment) and no joy - no
    'From' pulldown, just the usual "To:" "CC:" "Subject:" fields when I
    compose.

    Not sure what I'm missing...
    Wendell Guest

  5. #5

    Wendell <com> wrote:

    If I understand your requirement, go to Mail.app/Preferences, select
    Accounts, select your account and select Edit.

    On the Account information tab, type the addressses you want to use in
    the e-mail address box, separated by commas.

    For example, you may have:

    com, org, co.au

    or whatever.

    The entries will appear as a pop-up menu in the Account line.
    When you reply to a message, you'll find that the right one is
    automatically selected.

    --
    Beware the SPAMblock - if your mailer doesn't see my Reply-To:, use
    john at yclept dot freeserve dot co dot uk

  6. #6

    Wendell <com> wrote: [/ref]

    That's definately the way I do it.

    Hmm, neither am I. Did you click the check box to enable the account (you can
    leave the 'Include this account in checking email' unchecked). Do you get an
    extra account box listed in your mailboxes?
    Try quitting the app, starting it back up, confirm the account is
    active, and then hit the compose button again. The From pulldown should
    appear. I've got 6 or 7 addresses in the list, not all of which I
    actually include in getting mail.

    Good luck.
    --
    | ^Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool^ |