Professional Web Applications Themes

set up PHP - Macromedia Dynamic HTML

I am setting up a test site for Dreamweaver and following the instructions. I wanted to use some php scripts and test them locally and have been referred to this article by the Dreamweaver get started [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/dreamweaver/articles/php_macintosh.html[/url] I have absolutely no knowledge of the Terminal so the instructions are a blank to me The only thing I could think of was pasting the instructions into the commands area or in the terminal itealf but it does not seem to have worked. Are there "basic " instructions for some of the terms? eg 1 How do I 'open' the Apache config ...

  1. #1

    Default set up PHP

    I am setting up a test site for Dreamweaver and following the instructions. I
    wanted to use some php scripts and test them locally and have been referred to
    this article by the Dreamweaver get started

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/dreamweaver/articles/php_macintosh.html[/url]

    I have absolutely no knowledge of the Terminal so the instructions are a blank
    to me

    The only thing I could think of was pasting the instructions into the commands
    area or in the terminal itealf but it does not seem to have worked.

    Are there "basic " instructions for some of the terms? eg

    1 How do I 'open' the Apache config file'?

    2 How do I 'uncomment'

    3 How do I "add a new index page"?

    If you can help - thanks

    margaretmh Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: set up PHP

    First, have you installed Apache and PHP on your computer? If you're using
    PHP, you might well be wanting MySQL as well:

    [url]www.apache.org[/url]
    [url]www.php.net[/url]
    [url]www.mysql.org[/url]

    Your install of OSX may well have PHP and Apache already in it, but you
    should check. You really need to be a bit of a power user before you start
    messing around with these things though. Things such as editing a config
    file (it's a text file, you just need a plain text editor - DW itself would
    do) need to be second nature to you before you get anywhere near web server
    applications.

    margaretmh wrote:
    > I am setting up a test site for Dreamweaver and following the
    > instructions. I wanted to use some php scripts and test them locally
    > and have been referred to this article by the Dreamweaver get started

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/dreamweaver/articles/php_macintosh.html[/url]

    > I have absolutely no knowledge of the Terminal so the instructions
    > are a blank to me
    >
    > The only thing I could think of was pasting the instructions into
    > the commands area or in the terminal itealf but it does not seem to
    > have worked.
    >
    > Are there "basic " instructions for some of the terms? eg
    >
    > 1 How do I 'open' the Apache config file'?
    >
    > 2 How do I 'uncomment'
    >
    > 3 How do I "add a new index page"?
    >
    > If you can help - thanks

    rob::digitalburn Guest

  3. #3

    Rob

    believe me - I am no power user and have no desire to fiddle with terminal
    config files. But the article says:

    "By default, when you install Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) it also installs Apache
    web server software. Almost everything is configured and ready to host your
    website. However, if you would like to run PHP, you must make minor
    configuration changes. The default Apache installation also installs PHP, but
    disables it. To use PHP, you must enable the PHP module, as follows:"

    I want to be able to test any php scripts locally before running them on a
    remote server so I thought I would have to do all of the enabling on my loacl
    server.

    If this is not the case I will dance a jig!!

    But my "test" indicates that php is not active locally.

    My powermac G5 is only one week old and has the lastest updates etc

    Any advise would be gratefully received as I am really a bot of a luddite with
    all sthings scripty!

    margaretmh Guest

  4. #4

    "margaretmh" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I am setting up a test site for Dreamweaver and following the instructions. I
    > wanted to use some php scripts and test them locally and have been referred
    > this article by the Dreamweaver get started
    >
    > [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/mx/dreamweaver/articles/php_macintosh.html[/url]
    >
    > I have absolutely no knowledge of the Terminal so the instructions are a
    > blank
    > to me
    >
    > The only thing I could think of was pasting the instructions into the
    > commands
    > area or in the terminal itealf but it does not seem to have worked.
    >
    > Are there "basic " instructions for some of the terms? eg
    >
    > 1 How do I 'open' the Apache config file'?
    The command to type *in* the terminal window is:

    sudo pico /etc/httpd/httpd.conf

    sudo is for super-user/admin account

    pico is the name of the editor

    /etc/httpd/httpd.conf is the path to the apache config file.

    > 2 How do I 'uncomment'
    # this is a commented line

    You would remove the # at the beginning of the line

    > 3 How do I "add a new index page"?
    >
    > If you can help - thanks
    Create a new file in Dreamweaver save as "index.php"
    to the root folder of your web server.

    HTH

    -Rb

    -Rb Guest