Professional Web Applications Themes

Setting defaults for new frames in CS - Adobe Indesign Windows

I volunteer as production advisor to the local community college student newspaper. They are (finally) switching to InDesign this semester, and we've been working on the new template. We'd like to set a default for new frames to have a .5pt black stroke since that is the style for photos that they use and it would save time and mistakes. While we were at it I figured a default paper fill would probably be useful as well, so with the template open and nothing selected I clicked on the frame tool and set my colors and reset the stroke weight ...

  1. #1

    Default Setting defaults for new frames in CS

    I volunteer as production advisor to the local community college student newspaper. They are (finally) switching to InDesign this semester, and we've been working on the new template.

    We'd like to set a default for new frames to have a .5pt black stroke since that is the style for photos that they use and it would save time and mistakes. While we were at it I figured a default paper fill would probably be useful as well, so with the template open and nothing selected I clicked on the frame tool and set my colors and reset the stroke weight and alignment to inside.

    I thought this was supposed to work, but drawing a frame, it immediately reverts to no stroke or fill, and even the stoke alignment reverts to align to center. Is this a known issue in CS, or is there something I've missed? Just tried in CS2 on my own machine with the same behavior, so now I think it must be me.

    Peter
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Setting defaults for new frames in CS

    Peter,

    Answering someone in he forum, I discovered the same. Default stroke weight, fills and stroke alignment apply only to rectangles, etc., not to frames. Would be nice if they did, though.

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    The issue is that all defaults apply to an item when it is set-up. Frames are defaulted to no-stroke and no-fill and therefore the alignment options for rectangles are not applied.

    I too have advocated this change, but it would require a significant engineering change; meanwhile, you can treat a rectangle (or other drawn object) as a frame and we have object styles that also make this process a whole lot easier than it used to be, so I'm inclined to think that Adobe has bigger fish to fry than spend resources "fixing" this.

    I put "fixing" in quotes because you can bet there are people out there who don't think of this so much as a problem but as a feature. They'd be mad if the behavior just changed on them. So, how about another preference -- whoops, even more engineering effort.

    I'd say that by providing object styles, Adobe actually did address this issue rather well.

    Dave
    Dave_Saunders@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    Dave,

    Thanks for the info. I don't think it's a big issue. I ran into it for the first time when a U2U user asked how to set defaults for stroke alignment (for some reason I never use the frame tools; I always use the normal ones).

  5. #5

    Maybe I can 'piggyback' another question to this thread. When I change the path of a textframe (e.g. the path of a masterframe to create an inset for a picture), the frame gets an inset, the exact size of which is not clear (at the left side about 1 point). Does anyone know if this can be avoided?

  6. #6

    Thanks, guys.

    Unfortunately I can't use an object style, which would have been my first choice, because the professor who teaches DTP and made the switch to ID from PM this semester told the powers-that-be that there wasn't enough difference in CS2 to warrant spending money on an upgrade, so I'm stuck with CS.

    Having just finished explaining that you don't need to have a frame before you place, and that the difference between the rectangle tool and the frame tool is only a matter of the default content (which is evidently not quite all), I either now need to go back and train the staff to apply the keylines every time, or set up a default rectangle and have them pretend it's a frame and use it for placing photos, but I suspect that's really unworkable because someone is bound to need a colored box early in the layout, change the settings, and be unable to figure out why all the photos are now showing up as magenta in green frames. Sigh.

  7. #7

    Teus,

    I'm afraid I don't understand what you are asking. Can you describe it in more detail, or link to an example?

  8. #8

    Peter,

    I pity you. In a former life I used to teach history of philosophy, science and technology, and for some reason I think that's easier than teaching how to work with ID.

    Now to what I meant. Place a textframe and fill it with placeholder text. At the left side, place a rectangle that overlaps the frame partly. Select both the ractangle and the textframe. In the pathfinder palette choose substract. The text in the frame will have an inset after this.

  9. #9

    Teus,

    Quite odd. I notice that it makes no difference which side you locate the rectangle, and even stranger, if you justify the text it only is inset on the original frame, not along the cut-out area.

    I thought it might be related to the stroke weight of the rectangle, but it isn't, although I'm not so sure it isn't in some way applying a default stroke to the text frame that remains invisible. Don't know how to check that.

    Out of curiosity, when do you need to do this? I found the pathfinder in ID to be quite lacking compared to Illy, so I tend to use the pen tool instead and just draw the shape I need, or build it in Illy and bring it in from there, which usually takes more time.

  10. #10

    Oh, and as far as pity, I actually enjoy working with the students -- do it for free. It gets me out of the house, I meet new people, and I find it really stretches my skill set. Amazing the questions they come up with that I'd never think of on my own.

  11. #11

    Out of curiosity, when do you need to do this? I found the pathfinder
    in ID to be quite lacking compared to Illy, so I tend to use the pen tool
    instead and just draw the shape I need, or build it in Illy and bring
    it in from there, which usually takes more time.

    If you use the pen tool to accomplish the same, the effect is also the same. The idea is to make a textframe on a master page that has a 'cutout', so on all pages of the doent at that place a logo (or something) will be visible.

  12. #12

    Teus,

    Hmmm... Right you are about the pen tool, so it must be a property of paths, rather than frames. I'm guessing there is a reason you don't accomplish this effect on the master page by using text wrap on the rectangle instead of the pathfinder -- other text boxes to avoid affecting, for instance?

  13. #13

    Text wraps on the master page don't affect the live pages unless they are overridden to the live pages. What Teus is setting out to do is provide a master frame that is shaped to do the text wrap without needing the wrap (and thereby avoiding many duplicates of a linked graphic in your file).

  14. #14

    Exactly Dave. But do you know how to get rid of this inset? Or al least what it's value is, so I can compensate for that?

  15. #15

    I'm not seeing an inset if I use a rectangular intrusion. Are you using an irregular shape? If so, then what you're probably seeing is caused by the way InDesign calculates the slug holding a character. It uses a slug that sits on the baseline and which is the height of the leading. This is a very poor choice if text is running below a sloped or curved line.

    The same thing happens with text wraps. Look at the horrific example on this page: <http://studio.adobe.com/us/tips/tip.jsp?p=1&id=431&xml=idsn3wrap>

    I also found this article: <http://studio.adobe.com/us/tips/tip.jsp?p=1&id=101240&xml=indcs2artextwrap> which gives advice on how to overcome this manually. As a pragmatic approach to a real problem, you can't fault the author, but if PageMaker can get this right (or, at least, a lot closer to right), then so should InDesign.

  16. #16

    I'm not seeing an inset if I use a rectangular intrusion.

    My intrusion is rectangular, but I still have the inset of about 1 point. Strange.

  17. #17

    Dave,

    Ok, I think I understand. And I see exactly what Teus describes with rectangular intrusions, except that there is no inset at the intrusion itself.

    On the other hand, I'm not sure I understand the logic behind not honoring a text wrap on a master page. If you are going to the trouble of making a notched frame, that implies that you need the notch on every page, and I'm guessing that you are also using the logo on every page. It makes logical sense to me, if not to the engineers, that text wrap should be honored.

    I note that the wrap is ignored entirely on a live page, whether the text frame is on the live page or the master, except if the text is placed into the frame on the master, which is clearly not what Teus is looking for. Can you explain the thinking behind this?
    Peter_Spier@adobeforums.com Guest

  18. #18

    I note that the wrap is ignored entirely on a live page, whether the text
    frame is on the live page or the master, except if the text is placed
    into the frame on the master, which is clearly not what Teus is looking
    for. Can you explain the thinking behind this?

    The wrap is not ignored on the life page if you pour the text in the masterpage frame. As experiment, override a master textframe on a life page and fill it with place holder text.

  19. #19

    Teus,

    That is not the behavior I'm seeing. I've placed a text frame on the master and overlapped it partially with a grayscale .psd.

    If I try to place a text file on the live page, I can put it into the master frame, but the text wrap is ignored. If I override the text frame and bring it onto the live page I can either place, paste, or fill with placeholder text, and the wrap is also ignored. This is in CS2 on Win2k.

  20. #20

    That is not the behavior I'm seeing. I've placed a text frame on the master
    and overlapped it partially with a grayscale .psd.

    Now you have to substract the pathes, so the textframe gets an intrusion. So the path of the textframe leaves the room for the .psd free. Then it will be on every page, including 'wrap' (it is not really a wrap, but an oddly shaped textframe).

    Teus
    Teus_de_Jong@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast