Professional Web Applications Themes

Setting Folder Permissions - Windows Setup, Administration & Security

Hi, I am sooo lost with a problem I have. I bought a new digital camera and when I tried to install the software it got an error message "unable to install installshield scripting runtime" I read everything I could find about that error message (1607) all day and tried everything suggested. The one suggestion I see is that I need to check the windows/installer folder permissions to make sure I have full control. But, when I right click on the installer folder I don't get the security option. I have WinXP Home edition. How do I check my folder ...

  1. #1

    Default Setting Folder Permissions

    Hi, I am sooo lost with a problem I have. I bought a new
    digital camera and when I tried to install the software
    it got an error message "unable to install installshield
    scripting runtime" I read everything I could find about
    that error message (1607) all day and tried everything
    suggested. The one suggestion I see is that I need to
    check the windows/installer folder permissions to make
    sure I have full control. But, when I right click on the
    installer folder I don't get the security option. I have
    WinXP Home edition. How do I check my folder permissions
    on this OS? I tried to get technical help at Canon who
    made the camera but they tell me is isn't their problem.

    Ack.. Please help if you can. A new cool camera and I
    can't even use it :(

    Thanks

    Faye
    Faye Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Setting Folder Permissions

    If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have access to the
    Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an account
    that has Administrative rights.

    "Faye" <fayepekinternetcds.com> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am sooo lost with a problem I have. I bought a new
    > digital camera and when I tried to install the software
    > it got an error message "unable to install installshield
    > scripting runtime" I read everything I could find about
    > that error message (1607) all day and tried everything
    > suggested. The one suggestion I see is that I need to
    > check the windows/installer folder permissions to make
    > sure I have full control. But, when I right click on the
    > installer folder I don't get the security option. I have
    > WinXP Home edition. How do I check my folder permissions
    > on this OS? I tried to get technical help at Canon who
    > made the camera but they tell me is isn't their problem.
    >
    > Ack.. Please help if you can. A new cool camera and I
    > can't even use it :(
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Faye
    Taurarian Guest

  3. #3

    If you want to view the security tab in XP Home you can do this (copied from
    a post by "Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows")

    "You can't disable simple file sharing, but you can add the security tab
    back, if you like.
    [url]http://www.fajo.de/sware/files/xpfse/FJXPFileSecExt_0_2_Setup_EN.exe[/url]
    This is safe, I've tested it. It just brings it up from safe mode to
    normal mode in a slightly different context."

    All this does is give you the security tab back.

    Thanks.

    Elijah

    "Taurarian" <taurarianhotmailNOSPAM.com> wrote in message
    > If you are running Windows XP Home Edition, in order to have access to the
    > Security tab, you must first start in Safe Mode and log on with an account
    > that has Administrative rights.
    >
    > "Faye" <fayepekinternetcds.com> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I am sooo lost with a problem I have. I bought a new
    > > digital camera and when I tried to install the software
    > > it got an error message "unable to install installshield
    > > scripting runtime" I read everything I could find about
    > > that error message (1607) all day and tried everything
    > > suggested. The one suggestion I see is that I need to
    > > check the windows/installer folder permissions to make
    > > sure I have full control. But, when I right click on the
    > > installer folder I don't get the security option. I have
    > > WinXP Home edition. How do I check my folder permissions
    > > on this OS? I tried to get technical help at Canon who
    > > made the camera but they tell me is isn't their problem.
    > >
    > > Ack.. Please help if you can. A new cool camera and I
    > > can't even use it :(
    > >
    > > Thanks
    > >
    > > Faye

    Elijah Guest