Professional Web Applications Themes

setting up - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

My eye site is not good. I need a magnifying glass to read some of the windows. Is there a way to change the size of the font for all windows, and viewable stuff? I changed the size of the icons, and I found the clock settings. Now I need to change the rest. I have the resolution set to 800x600. I am running Mandrake 9.1 ----- Registered Linux user #334297...

  1. #1

    Default setting up

    My eye site is not good. I need a magnifying glass to read some of the
    windows. Is there a way to change the size of the font for all windows, and
    viewable stuff? I changed the size of the icons, and I found the clock
    settings. Now I need to change the rest. I have the resolution set to
    800x600. I am running Mandrake 9.1

    -----
    Registered Linux user #334297

    Wee Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: setting up

    :
    : -----
    : Registered Linux user #334297
    :
    :

    Never mind I found it.

    Wee Guest

  3. #3

    On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:46:18 +0000, Wee Bit Tall wrote:

    Eye sight not that bad after all? ;)

    Same problem here, but have resolution set to 1400x1050. Gives a feeling
    of more room, but needs severe adjustment of font size to be workable.

    --
    imotgm
    imotgm Guest

  4. #4

    "imotgm" <> wrote in message
    : On Fri, 14 Nov 2003 21:46:18 +0000, Wee Bit Tall wrote:
    :
    : >
    : >
    : >
[...]
    : --
    : imotgm

    That is what I did, I pushed the resolution up, then I messed with the
    settings for the text and icons. The resolution is 1024x768 now. now the
    icons on the desktop
    disappeared. they are there but very tiny. When I found the place to
    enlarge the icons I thought it would enlarge the ones on the desktop too,
    but it didn't just the ones in the taskbar. OH well if they don't enlarge
    that is fine. The text on them is readable for me. I can see better now.
    The font I chose is "courier 16 pitch" size 16 bold. If you know a better
    font let me know.
    I even fixed the clock larger too. Plus I reversed the colors on it. Much
    better now.

    -----

  5. #5

    On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:19:00 +0000, Wee Bit Tall wrote:

    Are you using KDE for your desktop? If yes, open the KDE control center,
    not the Mandrake control center. Choose LookNFeel->Icons->Advanced. The
    upper right hand box will allow you to enlarge the icons, up to 128
    pixels, if you like. The box next to it on the left lets you choose which
    icons to change. choices are;

    Desktop/File Manager
    Toolbar
    Main Toolbar
    Small Icons
    Panel
    All Icons

    The theme tab lets you choose the type of icons. I've got my desktop icons
    set to 48 pixels on a 1280x960 resolution, and they appear about the size
    or a finger nail. That would make them slightly larger on your desktop,so
    would probably be a good choice. Experiment, have fun. ;)

    If, on the other hand, you're using Gnome, shame on you. Gnome drives me
    nuts, so I can't help you at all. It irritates me like a porcupine in my
    shorts, so I've never stayed with it long enough to learn where things are.

    I was on my SuSE desktop when I left the first post, but switched to
    Mandrake 9.1 to make sure I gave you the right instructions. There's just
    enough difference to get myself in trouble when trying to give exact
    directions to something. Thats also why I've got a different resolution
    than before. This is close enough to yours to keep you from throwing
    bricks my way. ;P

    I'll check back later to see how you're making out.

    --
    imotgm

    imotgm Guest

  6. #6

    "imotgm" <com> wrote in message
    : On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 20:19:00 +0000, Wee Bit Tall wrote:
    :
    : Are you using KDE for your desktop? If yes, open the KDE control center,

    Yes I am using KDE I set them to 64 They show up nicely now.

[...]

    Thanks a heap now I can see the icons too. Is there a font that stands out
    better than the Courier 10 point that you can think of? That is what I am
    using now. I only have the fonts that came with Mandrake 9.1. On the Windoz
    box I am using Verdana size 14 on a 800x600 Resolution. Quite good with
    the jumbo monitor I have [18.6 viewable]. I only have a 15 inch [13.2
    viewable] for my mandrake though. So with it, I put it on the courier 10
    point and the size is 16 plus it is in bold. I must say though I am very
    impressed with Mandrake so far.

    -----

  7. #7

    On Sun, 16 Nov 2003 06:54:54 +0000, Wee Bit Tall wrote:

    I'm using Sans 12 on my desktop. It's just enough heavier than Courier
    that it appears sharper to me, even at 10 point, but at 12 I can lean back
    in my chair and still see it clearly.

    Got a CTX version of one of those puppies. Told the kids it was so I could
    set up the TV card and hook to cable. Really it's so I can just see what
    the hell is on the screen. 15 in. monitors and I do not get along well any
    more. ;-)

    Minor correction, it's "Courier 10 Pitch" for the name of the font, and 16
    Point for the size. Just had to say that, it's the old printer in me. ;-P)

    Give the Sans font a shot. With a 15 in monitor, I won't even guess at the
    size, except to say leave the size as you have it, change the font, if you
    like it, then fiddle with the size.

    'til later,

    --
    imotgm