Plug WAN (WLAN) port into DSL Modem. Plug G4 DT into LAN port <--> Let G4 Powerbook connect via wireless. If you have an ethernet hub or even better an ethernet 10/100baseT switch, then plug that into the Airport Extreme base station LAN <--> port and plug the G4 DT into the 10/100baseT switch (or hub). You can then plug additional computers into the switch (or hub) to also share the connection, or even plug the G4 Powerbook in when you need to get faster transfer rates between the G4 Powerbook and the G4 DT. If you do not have a base station yet, then you can consider getting almost any Cable/DSL Wireless Router and use it the same way you would an Apple Airport Extreme base station. Less expensive, but if you want to enable WEP encryption, you get to learn how to enter hexidecimal encryption keys on your Mac. There are notes already in this group that discuss this, so it is not impossible to do. If you have a Snow Airport base station, you can set it up the same as the Extreme base station. If you have the original Graphite Airport base station, then I would look for a different base station to be your router. The Graphite only had 1 RJ45 plug and you really need a minimum of 2 with one being the WLAN and one being the LAN so you have isolation between the home network and the internet. Bob Harris [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Bob [ip] => harris@zk3.dec. [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> > > Plug WAN (WLAN) port into DSL Modem. > Plug G4 DT into LAN port <--> > Let G4 Powerbook connect via wireless. > > If you have an ethernet hub or even better an ethernet 10/100baseT > switch, then plug that into the Airport Extreme base station LAN <--> > port and plug the G4 DT into the 10/100baseT switch (or hub). You can > then plug additional computers into the switch (or hub) to also share > the connection, or even plug the G4 Powerbook in when you need to get > faster transfer rates between the G4 Powerbook and the G4 DT.[/ref] Thanks, Bob I don't have a basestation yet. I am just starting on the setup. I think I can get it set up from your instructions. Will post here if I need help. Bob [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Bob [ip] => bob@null.cam [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 3 [islastshown] => 1 [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Setting up a Wireless network - Mac Networking

Setting up a Wireless network - Mac Networking

I have an older G4 DT (467 MHz) and a G4 Powerbook with Airport Extreme built in. I want to connect both to a DSL connection. How do I connect the DT to a non-wireless dsl, and the PB to the wireless? Here's what I have come up with so far. One side of the DSL modem would be connected to the phone line. The back end would be connected to an Ethernet hub. The airport base station and the DT would be connected to the hub. It seems this would do what I want. Is this the way to ...

Default Setting up a Wireless network

I have an older G4 DT (467 MHz) and a G4 Powerbook with Airport Extreme
    built in. I want to connect both to a DSL connection. How do I
    connect the DT to a non-wireless dsl, and the PB to the wireless?

Here's what I have come up with so far. One side of the DSL modem would
    be connected to the phone line. The back end would be connected to an
    Ethernet hub. The airport base station and the DT would be connected to
    the hub. It seems this would do what I want. Is this the way to do it
    or is there a better way? Airport on the DT is not an option because
    the cards are the old Airport which I do not have.

TIA for any help.

Bob
    in Carmel, CA

thebobert1 at sbcglobal dot net
    Bob Guest

Default Re: Setting up a Wireless network

In article <sf.sbcglobal.net>,
    Bob Allison <cam> wrote:

If you have an Airport base station, I'm assuming it will be an Airport
    Extreme base station and has 2 RJ45 plugs. One labeled WAN (or WLAN)
    and has a circle of little lines as an icon. The other is labeled LAN
    and has an icon that looks like <-->

Plug WAN (WLAN) port into DSL Modem.
    Plug G4 DT into LAN port <-->
    Let G4 Powerbook connect via wireless.

If you have an ethernet hub or even better an ethernet 10/100baseT
    switch, then plug that into the Airport Extreme base station LAN <-->
    port and plug the G4 DT into the 10/100baseT switch (or hub). You can
    then plug additional computers into the switch (or hub) to also share
    the connection, or even plug the G4 Powerbook in when you need to get
    faster transfer rates between the G4 Powerbook and the G4 DT.

If you do not have a base station yet, then you can consider getting
    almost any Cable/DSL Wireless Router and use it the same way you would
    an Apple Airport Extreme base station. Less expensive, but if you want
    to enable WEP encryption, you get to learn how to enter hexidecimal
    encryption keys on your Mac. There are notes already in this group that
    discuss this, so it is not impossible to do.

If you have a Snow Airport base station, you can set it up the same as
    the Extreme base station.

If you have the original Graphite Airport base station, then I would
    look for a different base station to be your router. The Graphite only
    had 1 RJ45 plug and you really need a minimum of 2 with one being the
    WLAN and one being the LAN so you have isolation between the home
    network and the internet.

Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

Default Re: Setting up a Wireless network

In article <cac.cpqcorp.net>,
    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote: