Professional Web Applications Themes

Setting up an stunnel connection from Linux through Win 2K to an HP-UX machine - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

My company recently set up VPN capability on the Inet Server so that certain employees could have a high speed connection to our network over the internet. I am running Linux and would like to use the same capability. I have no need to work with the Windows network but I would like to be able to connect to the HP-UX box (where I live) via the same tunnel through the Internet server. I've looked at the stunnel man pages and a few web sites but I'm being lazy. I'm using Red Hat 8.0 and Road Runner and I just ...

  1. #1

    Default Setting up an stunnel connection from Linux through Win 2K to an HP-UX machine

    My company recently set up VPN capability on the Inet Server so that
    certain employees could have a high speed connection to our network
    over the internet.

    I am running Linux and would like to use the same capability. I have
    no need to work with the Windows network but I would like to be able
    to connect to the HP-UX box (where I live) via the same tunnel through
    the Internet server. I've looked at the stunnel man pages and a few
    web sites but I'm being lazy. I'm using Red Hat 8.0 and Road Runner and
    I just want to tunnel through the Internet server (a Windows 2000 machine)
    and connect to another Unix box (HP-UX 11). Can anyone give me a quick
    overview?

    Any help much appreciated

    James Kimble
    James Kimble Guest

  2. #2

    Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:
    > 3: Win2K machines are a bit hazardous as VPN servers. They're so
    > difficult to secure properly, and the software and licenses are so
    > expensive, you're almost always better off with a Linux based VPN
    > server, even when serving Windows clients.
    Not to mention the stability problems one might face, in addition
    to the constant rebooting for the security patch of the week.
    ;)

    --
    Michael Heiming

    inconvenience, but I get tons of SPAM
    Michael Heiming Guest

  3. #3

    Michael Heiming wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia <nkadelverizon.net> wrote:
    >
    >>3: Win2K machines are a bit hazardous as VPN servers. They're so
    >>difficult to secure properly, and the software and licenses are so
    >>expensive, you're almost always better off with a Linux based VPN
    >>server, even when serving Windows clients.
    >

    > Not to mention the stability problems one might face, in addition
    > to the constant rebooting for the security patch of the week.
    > ;)

    Well, yes. But it's often difficult to explain those in the business
    plan to justify using Linux instead of Windows, so I kind of left those out.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks, I'll give that a try...