Professional Web Applications Themes

Setting up CF mail server to connect to ISP mail server - Coldfusion Server Administration

I would like to setup a testing evironment and use my ISP's mail server to test and create CF mail applications. When I tried connecting to the ISP's mail server which is "smtp.comcast.net " I received the following message from CF admin "Connection Verification Failed". I also tried entering my user name and password before the server name (e.g.: [email]johndoecomcast.net:passwordsmpt.comcast.net[/email]. What would cause the communication failure from the CF server to the ISP's mail server? If I cannot get this to run what alternatives do I have? I am using WinXP pro. Can I install a mail server on my ...

  1. #1

    Default Setting up CF mail server to connect to ISP mail server

    I would like to setup a testing evironment and use my ISP's mail server to test
    and create CF mail applications.
    When I tried connecting to the ISP's mail server which is "smtp.comcast.net "
    I received the following message from
    CF admin "Connection Verification Failed". I also tried entering my user name
    and password before the server name
    (e.g.: [email]johndoecomcast.net:passwordsmpt.comcast.net[/email].

    What would cause the communication failure from the CF server to the ISP's
    mail server?
    If I cannot get this to run what alternatives do I have?
    I am using WinXP pro. Can I install a mail server on my local machine and
    configure CF admin to connect
    to the mail server on my local machine?

    TonySDev Guest

  2. #2

    You can install the SMTP server on your computer.

    Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs > Add/Remove Windows Components >
    Internet Information Services > Details . check the SMTP Service checkbox

    Then use localhost as the mail server.

    --
    Ken Ford
    Adobe Community Expert

    "TonySDev" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I would like to setup a testing evironment and use my ISP's mail server to
    >test
    > and create CF mail applications.
    > When I tried connecting to the ISP's mail server which is
    > "smtp.comcast.net "
    > I received the following message from
    > CF admin "Connection Verification Failed". I also tried entering my user
    > name
    > and password before the server name
    > (e.g.: [email]johndoecomcast.net:passwordsmpt.comcast.net[/email].
    >
    > What would cause the communication failure from the CF server to the ISP's
    > mail server?
    > If I cannot get this to run what alternatives do I have?
    > I am using WinXP pro. Can I install a mail server on my local machine and
    > configure CF admin to connect
    > to the mail server on my local machine?

    Ken Ford - *ACE* Guest

  3. #3

    Hi Ken,
    thanks for your response. I have the Default SMTP vitrual server installed on
    a WinXP machine. Under IP address in the configuration menu you can select
    (All unassigned or 192.168.1.102). I tried (All unassigned) and 192.168.1.192.
    When inside CF admin Mail configuration settings I entered localhost and
    192,168.1.192 and neither one worked. Do you have any other ideas.

    I would really like to get this one to work.

    Thanks

    TonySDev Guest

  4. #4

    Only thing else I can suggest is to use your computer name, sorry.

    --

    > Hi Ken,
    > thanks for your response. I have the Default SMTP vitrual server installed
    > on
    > a WinXP machine. Under IP address in the configuration menu you can select
    > (All unassigned or 192.168.1.102). I tried (All unassigned) and
    > 192.168.1.192.
    > When inside CF admin Mail configuration settings I entered localhost and
    > 192,168.1.192 and neither one worked. Do you have any other ideas.
    >
    > I would really like to get this one to work.
    >
    > Thanks

    Ken Ford - *ACE* Guest

  5. #5

    [q]Originally posted by: TonySDev
    When inside CF admin Mail configuration settings I entered localhost and
    192,168.1.192 and neither one worked.
    [/q]

    Did you try 127.0.0.1 instead of localhost?

    cf_dev2 Guest

  6. #6

    Yes, I tried 127.0.0.1
    TonySDev Guest

  7. #7

    I can't say I know about windows SMTP server. But I would check your firewall settings. Its a frequent culprit with connection problems like this...
    cf_dev2 Guest

  8. #8

    Hi, thanks for getting back to me. What configuration settings am I looking for in the firewall?
    TonySDev Guest

  9. #9

    Configuration settings differ a lot based on what firewall you're using. If
    you're using XP's firewall check out the ms xp support site for details and
    security information.

    Generally firewalls block the standard smtp port (25) by default. If the port
    is blocked you won't be able to verify the connection. Try turning off your
    firewall or using telnet to see if you can connect to the smtp server. If you
    can connect, its probably a firewall configuration problem.

    telnet 127.0.0.1 25

    cf_dev2 Guest

  10. #10

    Hi, when I entered telnet 127.0.0.125 in the command line I received the following message 0.0.125 is not a recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.
    TonySDev Guest

  11. #11

    XP Pro should include the telnet program, but I'm not sure. Check your help
    files. Also you're missing a space in between the ip address (127.0.0.1) and
    port number (25).

    Did you try turning off your firewall or configuring it allow access to the
    smtp port?

    cf_dev2 Guest

  12. #12

    Hi,
    thanks for getting back to me. Guess what I have the XP pro SMPT server
    running. I went to Windows web site and looked up the setting and
    configuration. All I needed to do was set up a virtual domain server.
    Thanks for all your help.

    TonySDev Guest