Professional Web Applications Themes

Setting up News server - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I have been trying to setup a news server. Lot of people have said not to use INN since it is a beast to configure. Although I am interested only in few groups, I think that INN is a better installation choice. The main reason being that it has a wider user base. Lot of people have recommended that I use other medium to small NNTP servers (which have very little user base to reflect on issues). Is there any very simple, easy to setup INN guide? Thank you in advance. PS - At the most, I may be using ...

  1. #1

    Default Setting up News server

    I have been trying to setup a news server. Lot of people have said not
    to use INN since it is a beast to configure. Although I am interested
    only in few groups, I think that INN is a better installation choice.
    The main reason being that it has a wider user base. Lot of people have
    recommended that I use other medium to small NNTP servers (which have
    very little user base to reflect on issues).

    Is there any very simple, easy to setup INN guide?

    Thank you in advance.

    PS - At the most, I may be using only 20 news groups.
    --
    Subba Rao
    [email]sailornattglobal.net[/email]

    Subba Rao Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Setting up News server

    Subba Rao <sailornattglobal.net> wrote:
    > I have been trying to setup a news server. Lot of people have said not
    Are you really serving your OWN groups? If you are, then yes, you
    probably need inn. If not, use leafnode, and ask your provider to host
    your groups if you want a few of your own!
    > to use INN since it is a beast to configure. Although I am interested
    > only in few groups, I think that INN is a better installation choice.
    > The main reason being that it has a wider user base. Lot of people have
    > recommended that I use other medium to small NNTP servers (which have
    > very little user base to reflect on issues).
    > Is there any very simple, easy to setup INN guide?
    No.

    But you can do it. In particular, chapters of several useful O' reilly
    network admin books deal with inn.

    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  3. #3

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Subba Rao <sailornattglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >>I have been trying to setup a news server. Lot of people have said not
    >
    > Are you really serving your OWN groups? If you are, then yes, you
    > probably need inn. If not, use leafnode, and ask your provider to host
    > your groups if you want a few of your own!
    >
    >>to use INN since it is a beast to configure. Although I am interested
    >>only in few groups, I think that INN is a better installation choice.
    >>The main reason being that it has a wider user base. Lot of people have
    >>recommended that I use other medium to small NNTP servers (which have
    >>very little user base to reflect on issues).
    >

    >>Is there any very simple, easy to setup INN guide?
    >
    > No.
    >
    > But you can do it. In particular, chapters of several useful O' reilly
    > network admin books deal with inn.

    Thank you for your repost.

    No, I will not be serving or setting up my personal groups. What I am
    interested in is to be able to have a local news server at home with a
    few a groups of comp.os.linux.* and some rec.* groups. I would like to
    read/post to my local news server, which in turn reads/posts to my ISP's
    news server.

    Thank you once again.

  4. #4

    Subba Rao <sailornattglobal.net> wrote:
    > No, I will not be serving or setting up my personal groups. What I am
    > interested in is to be able to have a local news server at home with a
    > few a groups of comp.os.linux.* and some rec.* groups. I would like to
    That's leafnode.
    > read/post to my local news server, which in turn reads/posts to my ISP's
    > news server.
    Peter
    Peter T. Breuer Guest

  5. #5

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    > Subba Rao <sailornattglobal.net> wrote:
    >> No, I will not be serving or setting up my personal groups. What I am
    >> interested in is to be able to have a local news server at home with a
    >> few a groups of comp.os.linux.* and some rec.* groups. I would like to
    >
    > That's leafnode.
    >
    >> read/post to my local news server, which in turn reads/posts to my ISP's
    >> news server.
    >
    > Peter
    I agree. Running leafnodce here. There are the 1.9.xx versions which work,
    and the 2.0.xx series, which are still experimental. Versions are supplied
    with most distros (I think.) I am running 1.9.29.

    Doug.
    --
    Registered Linux user No. 277548.
    Linux: in a world without fences, who needs Gates?

  6. #6

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    >Subba Rao <sailornattglobal.net> wrote:
    >
    >> No, I will not be serving or setting up my personal groups. What I
    >> am interested in is to be able to have a local news server at home
    >> with a few a groups of comp.os.linux.* and some rec.* groups. I
    >> would like to
    >
    >That's leafnode.
    Yep. Same here. It's easy to configure, with just 5 or 6 variables set
    and you are done. Run the 'fetchnews' as a cron job and you can also run
    FAM Client to monitor the directory (out.going) which can trigger a
    script to post your messages immediately ;-).
    Vwakes Guest

  7. #7

    On Fri, 4 Jul 2003 13:18:42 +0200, "Peter T. Breuer"
    <ptboboe.it.uc3m.es> wrote:
    >Subba Rao <sailornattglobal.net> wrote:
    >> No, I will not be serving or setting up my personal groups. What I am
    >> interested in is to be able to have a local news server at home with a
    >> few a groups of comp.os.linux.* and some rec.* groups. I would like to
    >
    >That's leafnode.
    Yes it is. Works perfect for that kind of use here!

    >> read/post to my local news server, which in turn reads/posts to my ISP's
    >> news server.
    >
    >Peter
    Rich Piotrowski

    To reply via E-Mail use rpiotro(at)wi(dot)rr(dot)com
    Rich Piotrowski Guest

  8. #8

    Subba Rao wrote:
    > The main reason being that it has a wider user base. Lot of people have
    > recommended that I use other medium to small NNTP servers (which have
    > very little user base to reflect on issues).
    ..... leafnode?
    for the inn stuff, might try here:
    [url]http://www.linuxselfhelp.com/index.shtml[/url]
    ..
    \\\ [url]http://pages.sbcglobal.net/mtobler/mjt_linux_page.html[/url] ///
    Ducharme's Precept:
    Opportunity always knocks at the least opportune moment.

    mjt Guest

  9. #9

    Doug Laidlaw <laidlawsmyaccess.com.au> wrote:
    > Peter T. Breuer wrote:
    [snip]
    >> That's leafnode.
    >
    > I agree. Running leafnodce here. There are the 1.9.xx versions which work,
    > and the 2.0.xx series, which are still experimental. Versions are supplied
    > with most distros (I think.) I am running 1.9.29.
    I concur. I have two leafnode servers running, both 2.0.x. They run
    rock solid, have a small footprint, and easy to work with.

    Cheers,
    Dennis
    --
    null up 77 days, 18:49, 3 users, load average: 1.15, 1.20, 1.14
    thruster up 59 days, 20:01, 0 users, load average: 1.00, 1.00, 1.00

  10. #10

    Peter T. Breuer wrote:

    >>No, I will not be serving or setting up my personal groups. What I am
    >>interested in is to be able to have a local news server at home with a
    >>few a groups of comp.os.linux.* and some rec.* groups. I would like to
    >
    > That's leafnode.
    >
    >>read/post to my local news server, which in turn reads/posts to my ISP's
    >>news server.

    To Peter and everyone who replied suggesting to use Leafnode. Thanks!
    Leafnode is so much faster to setup than I expected it to spend the time
    on configuring it.