Professional Web Applications Themes

Setting up resolution in FH MX - Macromedia Freehand

In the doent tab of a FHMX doent, as in past versions, you can set the printer resolution in dpi. Typically, I set this at 2400 and leave it in my defaults. But I have co-workers who never change it from 300. Recently we had a doent print with very large dots (mix of vector and raster art). We've looked at all options, but the printer still claims they did nothing to cause this. Does the number in that box determine the line screen at which FH prints? I noticed that on my computer, no matter if I had 300 ...

  1. #1

    Default Setting up resolution in FH MX

    In the doent tab of a FHMX doent, as in past versions, you can set the
    printer resolution in dpi. Typically, I set this at 2400 and leave it in my
    defaults. But I have co-workers who never change it from 300. Recently we had a
    doent print with very large dots (mix of vector and raster art). We've
    looked at all options, but the printer still claims they did nothing to cause
    this. Does the number in that box determine the line screen at which FH prints?
    I noticed that on my computer, no matter if I had 300 or 2400 set in that box,
    FH wanted to print using 60 lpi in the Print dialog. Is the LPI determined by
    the printer that is selected? Or is it supposed to be determined by the
    resolution selected? I can find nothing in doentation online that describes
    setting this printer resolution..

    gesamark Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Setting up resolution in FH MX

    The Printer Resolution setting (Doent Panel) will control the number of
    steps in a gradient when the doent is sent to Postscript output. It also
    controls and the number of steps in a blend at the time you create a blend.

    The Halftone screen is set in the Print dialog > FreeHand > Advanced >
    Separations tab. In the 'Halftone screen' pop-up menu, the suggested line
    screens for the target printer are read in from the PPD for that printer.
    You can set a custom line screen in that dialog.

    There are a number of old FH technotes (circa 1997) on the MM site. If you
    search for 'resolution' and 'halftone' you'll find a few explanations.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/freehand/[/url]

    I can't imagine why the printer wouldn't be using his own PPD and setting
    the appropriate halftone screen. Maybe I'm missing something here, and
    someone who works in a print shop can explain how the FH file could be at
    fault. I personally think the printer is trying to pull the wool over your
    eyes to avoid redoing the print job for you.

    Judy Arndt

    gesamark wrote:
    > In the doent tab of a FHMX doent, as in past versions, you can set the
    > printer resolution in dpi. Typically, I set this at 2400 and leave it in my
    > defaults. But I have co-workers who never change it from 300. Recently we had
    > a doent print with very large dots (mix of vector and raster art). We've
    > looked at all options, but the printer still claims they did nothing to cause
    > this. Does the number in that box determine the line screen at which FH
    > prints? I noticed that on my computer, no matter if I had 300 or 2400 set in
    > that box, FH wanted to print using 60 lpi in the Print dialog. Is the LPI
    > determined by the printer that is selected? Or is it supposed to be determined
    > by the resolution selected? I can find nothing in doentation online that
    > describes setting this printer resolution..

    Judy Arndt Guest

  3. #3

    I work in a print shop, and as Judy rightly suggests, there is no way,
    even if there were object-level halftones specified (they can be
    overidden by either FH's advanced print options or the RIP), that the FH
    file is at fault. Unless you are trying to acheive some special effect
    with a halftone, the choice of screen frequency (LPI) is the printer's
    decision, and it may just be that this particular printer chooses to
    work at that LPI (which if the scan posted is 100%, looks about 100 lpi
    - which is more like a newsprint frequency). Or it could be that they
    have neglected to set the correct LPI either when printing from FH, or
    in the RIP, and they *are* trying to pull the wool over your eyes.

    Gesamark, did the same printer produce both jobs shown in your scan?

    --

    Danny
    Danny Whitehead Guest

  4. #4

    Gaesamark,

    You could also check with the printer to see if they have the proper Preset
    information set via Printer Features. Make sure that they have the proper
    Screen Type, Resolution, Frequency Overide etc. settings done correctly.

    David

    davecc Guest

  5. #5

    Danny,

    Yes, the same printer did both jobs. Sent directly from FreeHand both times.
    The prepress person is the same. She says she just sent it from FreeHand to the
    RIP (same in both jobs) as she usually does, and they printed it. I don't think
    she checks the LPI because as I understand it, the PPD dictates the proper
    linescreen. No one caught it in stripping--there was no proof since we've done
    the job before. The pressman must have been slammed because he is usually the
    one who stops a job and says "whoa--they won't like this" and sends it back for
    evaluation. In this case, the job was boxed before anyone really looked at it.

    We have accepted the job for various reasons I won't go into here. But we want
    to make sure it never happens again. And the only difference on my end was the
    switch to OSX and FHMX. You know how you go along for years and years doing
    something one way and then when something very unexpected happens, you begin to
    question yourself--"how do I really do this?" I wanted to make sure I didn't
    miss something.

    The prepress person says that she also did everything the same way and can't
    figure out why this happened. But I'm guessing that maybe the wrong PPD was
    selected, or NO ppd (generic) and her RIP accepted the output??? I'm not sure,
    but I do believe it is on the pre-press end. But in the meantime, all I hear is
    "I did everything the same way and it came out like this..."

    We have informed them that we will not accept any more jobs that look like
    this. I need to have a good working relationship with the pre-press person, so
    I am trying to figure it out so I have "ammunition" so to speak. I've been on
    both ends of this stick and it's not comfortable either way!

    Thanks for the info, all!

    gesamark Guest