Professional Web Applications Themes

SFW JPEG's - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Tell me, how are you people able to resize an image with 800 pix being largest side and keeping the file size at 100kb in sfw without losing quality ???? I want to put an album together with what I've done with some pics in elements for PBase. I really want to keep them between 700 and 800 pix largest side and the quality no less than 70. How ???? It's simple with images that have not been edited...mine always have loads of extra added pixels though. Is there a better 'freebie' re-sizing program available or is there a better ...

  1. #1

    Default SFW JPEG's

    Tell me, how are you people able to resize an image with 800 pix being largest side and keeping the file size at 100kb in sfw without losing quality ???? I want to put an album together with what I've done with some pics in elements for PBase. I really want to keep them between 700 and 800 pix largest side and the quality no less than 70. How ???? It's simple with images that have not been edited...mine always have loads of extra added pixels though. Is there a better 'freebie' re-sizing program available or is there a better way than sfw in elements ?? I really do not want to sacrifice quality for size...why bother
    Jodi Frye Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SFW JPEG's

    Jodi, depending on the colors and textures of your image, it may be
    impossible to stay at 100kb, 800 pixels max side and 70 quality. If you
    take a picture with large areas of a single contiguous color (like lots of
    sky, maybe), the compression algorithm can really do its thing and give you
    a small file. However, the more complex the picture (and some of yours are
    certainly in that category!), the less compression is possible. I doubt
    that any other software would handle it differently...

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  3. #3

    My personal e-mail etiquette has been a little too self-serving, perhaps - but I've tried to adhere to a limit on outgoing files of around 200 kb; that usually gets me in the 70 range or better on quality. Someday, I suppose, we'll all be using broadband and it will be academic...

    Chuck
    Chuck Snyder Guest

  4. #4

    chuck, yes I do tend to add alot to my images. I can't stop that. I will just have to deal with it i guess.

    What size are the rest of you using to upload to PBase ? How many KB's ??
    Jodi Frye Guest

  5. #5

    Jodi, just as a reference point....Ray has posted some images from his
    camera at full pixel dimensions: 2.8MB!! Mine, on the other hand, have
    been around 200kb - trying to stay away under that 10 MB freebie limit!!

    :-)

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  6. #6

    I use around 100 - 150kb on my pBase gallery - but a lot of my images are momochrome or fairly limited in colour range which reduces the size considerably. When I get broadband I plan to pay for the full subscription and upload larger ones (200-300 - that seems to allow for reasonable degree of compression at screen size) - people can always decide for themselves to download the small or medium images if they aren't on broadband.
    <http://www.pbase.com/susan_s/photos1>

    if you want to check out the quality!
    Susan S. Guest

  7. #7

    Chuck and Susan, Thank You ! I totally forgot that they do have a choice of what size to look at it..this helps alot.
    Susan, your images are gorgeous. I've seen most of them already and i know they look great.
    Jodi Frye Guest

  8. #8

    Chuck,

    There's a reason why I do this (i.e. post at full size). I receive a number or request from indiviual on other groups to show them the full capabilities my camera. If I save at below 100 quality, the test is no good, and croping or downsizing the file is no good neither.

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  9. #9

    Ray, that's a good reason, although it gives the casual observer a chance to
    'borrow' an image at a resolution high enough to be printed. Not a huge
    concern, but...

    Chuck

    Chuck Snyder Guest

  10. #10

    If someone finds my stuff worth of steeling... I'd be more flattered than concerned, believe me!! :)

    On the other hand, the real stuff stays on my computer, and never makes it on the web. As I said Pete a few months ago, I've been on the net since 1994. I know about stealing pictures. But my work is not worth it. Trully.

    Thanks for your concern, though. It's appreciated :)

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest

  11. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Smith Guest
    Moderated Post

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Raymond Robillard Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    Jodi

    For the challenge, I crop to what I need to see, then resize to about 800-1000 longest side before I do any work.
    In the past, I have had to send an image in at was at 16% to get it in at around 100k. It's a shame, because my best stuff seems to be for the Challenges.

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  14. #14

    Jodi,

    Were you a DI(drill instructor)?

    Carl
    carl sutherland Guest

  15. #15

    Carl,

    please clarify or simplify.....

    ;)

    ~ long time no hear
    Jodi Frye Guest

  16. #16

    Jodi,

    I think the last time I was included in a group that was spoken to using the "you people" form of address was 1966 in Ft. Sam Houston where I was in Army boot camp. Just wondering if there was a connection. (Heh, Heh, Heh,)

    I have been busy. I obtained some old photos of my Mother's side of the family from my first cousin. I have been busy getting my new MAC up to speed to include a scanner to start working with those old photos. Its great. I never saw pictures of my great-grandparents before as well as pictures of people in their younger years that I did know. A wonderful project stimulated by Beth and others on this forum.

    edit. A weather update from the sunny South. The storm in the Gulf is moving onshore and its raining like mad. How is the weather in Houston Chuck?
    Carl
    carl sutherland Guest

  17. #17

    Jodi,
    I've been posting mine at the 150 -180 range, I've found that if I flatten the image or merge my layers down it reduces the initial size so that when I sfw I can keep the quality higher. If you're trying to keep under the 10mb limit and you don't want to sacrifice quality, you might have to rotate images through your gallery - leave 'em up for a while then replace with some others, check your hit counters and if it seems that some images aren't getting alot of hits pull 'em and put something else up.

    CR
    Chris Rankin Guest

  18. #18

    Barbara,

    Way down yonder in New Orleans where is it raining, storming, and soggy as it can be right now. Yall.

    Carl
    carl sutherland Guest

  19. #19

    Carl, Oh ok, I never really thought about it that way. How 'bout...." I just love you people"

    Glad you are keeping busy with the 'good stuff'.

    Chris, thanks again. You've made some really good points. My Spedia gallery still seems to get quite a few hits...little do they know it was just up for the forum folk to see my available styles ;)
    Jodi Frye Guest