Professional Web Applications Themes

SGI plugin for windows photoshop? - Adobe Photoshop 7, CS, CS2 & CS3

Does anyone know of a current version of the SGI image loaded for photoshop windows? The last version was released in 1999-ish, and doesn't support more than 8-bit images. It also has a lot of issues with sgi images rendered from maya. -- ================================================== ================ Sam J. Marrocco Sr. Visual Effects Artist/R&D Travelling Pictures/GTN Inferno, Flame, Houdini, Maya, All that cool stuff! "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist." ================================================== ================...

  1. #1

    Default SGI plugin for windows photoshop?

    Does anyone know of a current version of the SGI image loaded for
    photoshop windows? The last version was released in 1999-ish, and
    doesn't support more than 8-bit images. It also has a lot of issues with
    sgi images rendered from maya.

    Sam J. Marrocco
    Sr. Visual Effects Artist/R&D
    Travelling Pictures/GTN
    Inferno, Flame, Houdini, Maya, All that cool stuff!
    "The fact that no one understands you doesn't make you an artist."

    Sam Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: SGI plugin for Photoshop?

    Sam Marrocco <com> wrote in message news:<He6cb.48801$columbus.rr.com>...

    You can download a beta release of a new file format plugin for SGI
    (Irix RGB) images:
    http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/ - for both Macintosh (OS X,
    Classic) and Windows.

    It supports Grey Scale (1 channel), RGB (3), RGBA (4) and Multichannel
    images. Coming soon: support for 16 bits/channel images, and writing.
    Note this is early release software and any bug reports or test images
    are appreciated.

    Toby
    Toby Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: SGI plugin for windows photoshop?

    Sam Marrocco <com> wrote in message news:<He6cb.48801$columbus.rr.com>...

    The file format plugin for SGI (Irix RGB) images now supports both 8 &
    16 bits/channel, and any number of channels.

    Download from http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/#sgiformat
    for Macintosh (OS X, Classic) and Windows.

    Note this is beta software; use with care. Bug reports accompanied by

  4. #4

    Or you can just use the one that comes on the Photoshop 7 CD....

    In article <google.com>, Toby
    Thain <com.au> wrote:

    > You can download a beta release of a new file format plugin for SGI
    > (Irix RGB) images:
    > http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/ - for both Macintosh (OS X,
    > Classic) and Windows.
    >
    > It supports Grey Scale (1 channel), RGB (3), RGBA (4) and Multichannel
    > images. Coming soon: support for 16 bits/channel images, and writing.
    > Note this is early release software and any bug reports or test images
    > are appreciated.
    >
    > Toby[/ref]
    Chris Guest

  5. #5

    Thain <com.au> wrote:

    > The file format plugin for SGI (Irix RGB) images now supports both 8 &
    > 16 bits/channel, and any number of channels.
    >
    > Download from http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/#sgiformat
    > for Macintosh (OS X, Classic) and Windows.
    >
    > Note this is beta software; use with care. Bug reports accompanied by
    > test images are appreciated.
    >
    > Toby[/ref]
    Chris Guest

  6. #6

    Chris Cox <com> wrote in message news:<280920031824406225%com>...

    Glad you brought that up, Chris. No, unless you bought and run
    Photoshop 7.0, you can't: that plugin is not available to anyone else.

    Besides, the plugin you mention - and all the other "goodies" on that
    CD - will *only* work in 7.0 (do you even ship Windows versions? You
    didn't ship a Windows ElectricImage format). I would call that
    "crippleware" - unless you guys have honestly forgotten how to write
    plugins. The API has not changed in any relevant way and I don't have
    patience for marketing driven obsolescence.

    Those "ex-customers" who bought 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, 4.0, 3.0, and 2.5 are
    plumb out of luck if they want to use those "Goodies" formats, as far
    as Adobe is concerned, aren't they?

    Besides, the Adobe plugin fails to open any SGI file with an alpha
    channel. Nor anything other than 1 or 3 channels. Nor will it open
    even a trivially damaged SGI file without crashing Photoshop. Consider
    this a bug report.

    To cut a long story short, that's why there are alternative plugins
    that run everywhere (remember the 68K Macs that made Adobe so much
    money?), aren't broken, are up to 100x faster (the ElectricImage
    plugin), and are free:

    http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/

    Toby

    > > The file format plugin for SGI (Irix RGB) images now supports both 8 &
    > > 16 bits/channel, and any number of channels.
    > >
    > > Download from http://www.telegraphics.com.au/sw/#sgiformat
    > > for Macintosh (OS X, Classic) and Windows.
    > >
    > > Note this is beta software; use with care. Bug reports accompanied by
    > > test images are appreciated.
    > >
    > > Toby[/ref][/ref]
    Toby Guest

  7. #7

    In article <google.com>, Toby
    Thain <com.au> wrote:

    > Glad you brought that up, Chris. No, unless you bought and run
    > Photoshop 7.0, you can't: that plugin is not available to anyone else.[/ref]

    Correct - that's why I said it's on the Photoshop 7 CD.

    Of course they're on both platforms - EI had to be dropped on Windows
    due to a last minute SNAFU.

    Huh?
    What the %#$% are you talking about?

    They're plugins that go with the version of Photoshop.
    Some of them will work with older versions, and some of them won't
    because they are written to use new features only available in newer
    versions of Photoshop.
    But you shouldn't expect them to work with older versions, because they
    COME WITH THE CURRENT VERSION.

    Yes, because they haven't bought the new version with the new features
    (which includes new file formats).

    No, it opens images with alpha channels just fine.

    That isn't a bug report - that is a baseless claim.
    A bug report would include details and a sample file reproducing the
    problem. And a bug report would be made directly to technical support
    (via phone or the bug report web page).

    Chris
    Chris Guest

  8. #8

    > > Those "ex-customers" who bought 6.0, 5.5, 5.0, 4.0, 3.0, and 2.5 are
    >
    > Yes, because they haven't bought the new version with the new features
    > (which includes new file formats).[/ref]

    Mr Cox,
    on some platforms - like in my case, IRIX 6.5 - adobe dropped support for
    IRIX some time back and I dont have the chance to buy a new version of
    Photoshop on the particular platform Im using. So im pretty much stuck
    with Photoshop 3.0.1, and I have no choice but to deal with it.
    (And no, buying a PC just to buy the newest version of photoshop isnt a
    good economical option for me, but I would like to make this point because
    there are fellow photoshop users out there that have no way of upgrading to
    the "newest" version of PS). I dont see why you are slamming Mr Thain for
    helping people who are stuck in a rather tight hole.
    cheers!
    mike

    mike Guest

  9. #9

    mike <net> wrote in message news:<net>...

    > > Yes, because they haven't bought the new version with the new features
    > > (which includes new file formats).[/ref]
    >
    > Mr Cox,
    > on some platforms - like in my case, IRIX 6.5 - adobe dropped support for
    > IRIX some time back and I dont have the chance to buy a new version of
    > Photoshop on the particular platform Im using. So im pretty much stuck
    > with Photoshop 3.0.1, and I have no choice but to deal with it.[/ref]

    Hi Mike,

    I have been curious about the IRIX version of Photoshop for a while -
    does it support plugins? (Perhaps Chris can enlighten us.) The SDK
    seems rather quiet on the possibility. If so, I'd be interested at
    looking into making IRIX ports.

    regards
    Toby

    Toby Guest

  10. #10

    Chris Cox <com> wrote in message news:<051020031556394257%com>...

    > > Glad you brought that up, Chris. No, unless you bought and run
    > > Photoshop 7.0, you can't: that plugin is not available to anyone else.[/ref]
    >[/ref]

    Hi Chris,

    There are two reasons why I did not let your statement stand. One,
    it's simply not helpful to a large number of people who own Photoshop,
    for reasons cited; and two, the Adobe plugins have limitations that
    make these plugins unusable by the original poster and many others.

    > Huh?
    > What the %#$% are you talking about?
    >
    > They're plugins that go with the version of Photoshop.
    > Some of them will work with older versions, and some of them won't
    > because they are written to use new features only available in newer
    > versions of Photoshop.
    > But you shouldn't expect them to work with older versions, because they
    > COME WITH THE CURRENT VERSION.[/ref]

    As you are aware, a single PowerPC plugin executable supports
    Photoshop versions 2.5-7.0 on "classic" MacOS, and a second binary is
    needed for 7.0 on MacOS X Carbon. This is how my plugins work, and
    Adobe can hardly claim technical ignorance of their own product.

    Perhaps you can give details of what "new [Photoshop] features" a File
    Format plugin could conceivably require. If what you say is true, how
    has it been possible for me to implement file formats that extend the
    functionality of, and outperform, Adobe's SGI and EI plugins (to name
    just two)? The availability of these alternatives proves that no "new
    features" are required.

    Your vague statement, "you shouldn't expect them to work with older
    versions" does not fit the facts, unless the Adobe plugins are either
    deliberately or carelessly built to break backwards compatibility. I
    appreciate that either case would be embarrassing to admit.

    > Yes, because they haven't bought the new version with the new features
    > (which includes new file formats).[/ref]

    That is *exactly* why I have provided alternatives: to support those
    users who Adobe chooses to ignore.

    > No, it opens images with alpha channels just fine.[/ref]

    Naturally I tested it. Test data is available. I invite you to obtain
    such an image and try it yourself.

    > That isn't a bug report - that is a baseless claim.[/ref]

    Likewise, it is a tested claim. I would not insult your intelligence
    by inventing bugs.

    My apologies, I did not know Adobe had a bug reporting mechanism. I
    will do as you suggest. Will the consequent remedies be backported to
    work with host versions that users actually own?

    But let us end the quibbling. I'll get back to writing plugins and by
    all means keep on heckling,

    Toby

    Toby Guest

  11. #11

    Chris Cox <com> wrote in message news:<051020031556394257%com>...

    > No, it opens images with alpha channels just fine.[/ref]

    True - but only if they are 8 bits/channel. N.B. the fourth channel is
    always treated as layer transparency by the Adobe plugin. This seems
    to be the fad over there.

    > That isn't a bug report - that is a baseless claim.[/ref]

    In my tests, only 16-bit SGI files with 1 or 3 channels can be opened
    by the Adobe plugin. Crashes can easily be caused by corrupting even a
    single byte - my guess is its RLE decompressor isn't sanity-checking
    its input. This is nitpicking but becomes important if you are trying
    to recover a miscopied or otherwise damaged file (e.g. an unreadable
    disk block).

    (For the benefit of other readers, I found the bug report page at
    http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html - but unfortunately "You will
    not get a response to your bug submission". There is no facility to
    include sample data files with the report, but this could perhaps be
    worked around by publishing them on a web server before submission and
    quoting the URL. In this case it might be interesting to monitor the
    server log, if anyone was curious about what happens to the report.)

    Toby

    Toby Guest

  12. #12

    Toby Thain wrote:

    > > Mr Cox,
    > > on some platforms - like in my case, IRIX 6.5 - adobe dropped support for
    > > IRIX some time back and I dont have the chance to buy a new version of
    > > Photoshop on the particular platform Im using. So im pretty much stuck
    > > with Photoshop 3.0.1, and I have no choice but to deal with it.[/ref]
    >
    > Hi Mike,
    >
    > I have been curious about the IRIX version of Photoshop for a while -
    > does it support plugins? (Perhaps Chris can enlighten us.) The SDK
    > seems rather quiet on the possibility. If so, I'd be interested at
    > looking into making IRIX ports.
    >[/ref]

    yes, Kai Power Tools made a set of plugins that work fine with 3.0.1
     [/ref]

    SkyWriter Guest

  13. #13

    In article <google.com>, Toby
    Thain <com.au> wrote:

    > > No, it opens images with alpha channels just fine.[/ref]
    >
    > True - but only if they are 8 bits/channel. N.B. the fourth channel is
    > always treated as layer transparency by the Adobe plugin. This seems
    > to be the fad over there.[/ref]

    Well, that IS the way the file format is doented as working (not the
    plugin, the format).

    > (For the benefit of other readers, I found the bug report page at
    > http://www.adobe.com/misc/bugreport.html - but unfortunately "You will
    > not get a response to your bug submission". There is no facility to
    > include sample data files with the report, but this could perhaps be
    > worked around by publishing them on a web server before submission and
    > quoting the URL. In this case it might be interesting to monitor the
    > server log, if anyone was curious about what happens to the report.)[/ref]

    I'll take a look once QE verifies your report.

    Chris
    Chris Guest