Most likely the DFS folder is ted to several machines. Some
machines might have shadow copy enabled, others no.

This might explain why you see the Previous Versions randomly - only
when the active node is the one with Shadow Copies enabled then you
see the list.

Thanks, Adi

P.S. This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers
no rights.