Professional Web Applications Themes

Share a scanner in a network server with Debian Linux - Linux / Unix Administration

Hello, I want converse an old computer (Pentium II 450 MHz with 96 Mo RAM Memory) in a network server with Debian Linux, Debian installation is done, but, I want share my scanner (Agfa 1236s connected to a ISA SCSI card) with my private network. What I must doing to install and share this scanner ? Thank you....

  1. #1

    Default Share a scanner in a network server with Debian Linux

    Hello,

    I want converse an old computer (Pentium II 450 MHz with 96 Mo RAM
    Memory) in a network server with Debian Linux, Debian installation is
    done, but, I want share my scanner (Agfa 1236s connected to a ISA SCSI
    card) with my private network.

    What I must doing to install and share this scanner ?

    Thank you.
    Guillaume Guest

  2. #2

    In article <google.com>,
    net (Guillaume Mahieu) wrote:

    Write a scanner driver and scanner server daemon that runs on the
    machine that will host your scanner. Write a scanner client which
    connects to the server over the network for each different machine on
    your network.

    I've never seen this architecture in practice as scanners aren't
    expensive and there's no money in making them a shared network resource.
    Add to that the fact that most scanner vendors don't write the drivers
    and software for their products, but contract it out to a software
    house. That's why most scanner software only works on a narrow set of
    OS versions and patch levels. If you have the internal specification
    doent which describes how your scanner works, start coding (doubtful
    as it's proprietary and would most likely get the Department of Homeland
    Security in your face for violations of Trademark here in the US).

    It's probably cheaper in terms of time and money to buy a scanner for
    each machine that needs one. If you don't have the scanner internals
    doent, you'll have to reverse engineer how the scanner works. That
    will also get Homeland Security on you doorstep.

    Dontcha just _love_ the DCMA. Just wait, the European Parliament is
    considering drafting a version of your very own. Lucky you!

    Michael Guest

  3. #3

    Begin <giganews.com>
    On 2005-02-17, Michael Vilain <net> wrote:

    > Write a scanner driver and scanner server daemon that runs on the
    > machine that will host your scanner. Write a scanner client which
    > connects to the server over the network for each different machine on
    > your network.[/ref]

    It's been done: http://www.sane-project.org .

    jpd Guest

  4. #4

    net (Guillaume Mahieu) writes:

    You will need to install sane on both the server and the clients. Sane
    is supposed to work on MacOS X, and definitely works on many other Unix
    systems, but I'm not sure if it has been ported to Win32.

    The server would run saned and the clients need to be configured to use
    the server host as scanner backend.

    For debian saned is contained in the sane-utils package.

    All this has nothing to do with SCSI itself and would be just the same
    for a USB-attached scanner, so please consider asking further questions
    in groups that typically discuss the operating systems you intend to
    use. And read the saned(8) and sane-snapscan(5) manpages before you do
    so, they should already contain all the information you need.

    Thomas Jahns
    --
    "Computers are good at following instructions,
    but not at reading your mind."

  5. #5

    Thanks for your assistance, that corresponds what I thought with
    regard to the use of SANE. The problem is that I have to find the
    parameters of IRQ and E/S because it's an ISA card. But take a SCSI
    card in PCI, yes, but which ?
    Guillaume Guest

  6. #6

    net (Guillaume Mahieu) wrote in message news:<google.com>...

    Adaptec SCSI Connect 2904 PCI Card
    Crazy Guest