Professional Web Applications Themes

Shared disk - PostgreSQL / PGSQL

Hi, I would like to use shared disk for two Postgresql database. I mean that two Postgresql Database point to same $PGDATA directory. Is this possible in Postgresql Clarification is appreciated. Thx...

  1. #1

    Default Shared disk

    Hi,
    I would like to use shared disk for two Postgresql database. I mean that two
    Postgresql Database point to same $PGDATA directory. Is this possible in
    Postgresql Clarification is appreciated.
    Thx

    Nageshwar Rao Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Shared disk

    On Thu, Dec 09, 2004 at 09:02:51AM +0530, Nageshwar Rao wrote:

    Hi,
    > I would like to use shared disk for two Postgresql database. I mean that two
    > Postgresql Database point to same $PGDATA directory. Is this possible in
    > Postgresql
    Not at all. You can of course create two databases within one cluster
    (== postmaster), but you can't have two clusters in the same data area.

    --
    Alvaro Herrera (<alvherre[]dcc.uchile.cl>)
    "El sentido de las cosas no viene de las cosas, sino de

    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email]majordomopostgresql.org[/email])

    Alvaro Herrera Guest

  3. #3

    Nageshwar Rao <NageshwarRPLANETASIA.COM> writes:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I would like to use shared disk for two Postgresql database. I mean
    > that two Postgresql Database point to same $PGDATA directory. Is this
    > possible in Postgresql Clarification is appreciated.
    No, this is not possible.

    You may want to look at tion solutions such as Slony-I.

    -Doug

    (send "unregister YourEmailAddressHere" to [email]majordomopostgresql.org[/email])

    Doug McNaught Guest

  4. #4

    A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away, [email]NageshwarRPLANETASIA.COM[/email] (Nageshwar Rao) wrote:
    > I would like to use shared disk for two Postgresql database. I mean
    > that two Postgresql Database point to same $PGDATA directory. Is
    > this possible in Postgresql Clarification is appreciated.:p>
    No, you can't do this, at least not if you expect the two database
    processes to run at the same time.

    There are High Availability systems that work in somewhat this
    fashion; both servers access the same disk. But with a very precise
    set of semantics:

    -> The database filesystem is only mounted on one system at a time

    -> The database process only runs on one system at a time

    -> If the HA system detects that one server has gone down, it
    "kicks" it to keep it down, and starts up services on the other
    one.
    --
    select 'cbbrowne' || '' || '';
    [url]http://linuxfinances.info/info/postgresql.html[/url]

  6. #6

    i have a similar problem, i need to create two identical databases from the same pc, the first database on local hard drive and the second database on a nas... when the pc has a failure and it is turned off, a secondary pc will be turned on and must will be access to the data on the nas...
    is possible to do this?
    topix93 is offline Junior Member
    Oct 2012
    Location