Professional Web Applications Themes

Shared folders permitions - Windows Networking

In article <0af001c34adb$b9640920$a601280aphx.gbl>, "CK" <conkaragotenet.gr> wrote: >How can I change permisions on a shared folder so that >only a few selected users from the local network can >access it? >Up to now I can only add user acounts on my PC only and >not users from my local network. >My network has no domain, only workgroup. >Any help is wellcome... That's how it is with a workgroup: you can only define permissions for accounts on your PC. When someone connects to your computer from another computer on the network, your computer checks their user name and applies the permissions for ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Shared folders permitions

    <conkaragotenet.gr> wrote:
    >How can I change permisions on a shared folder so that
    >only a few selected users from the local network can
    >access it?
    >Up to now I can only add user acounts on my PC only and
    >not users from my local network.
    >My network has no domain, only workgroup.
    >Any help is wellcome...
    That's how it is with a workgroup: you can only define permissions for
    accounts on your PC. When someone connects to your computer from
    another computer on the network, your computer checks their user name
    and applies the permissions for the matching account on your computer.

    This web page has full details:

    Windows XP Professional File Sharing
    [url]http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm[/url]
    --
    Best Wishes,

    [url]http://mvp.support.microsoft.com[/url]
    Steve Winograd [MVP] Guest

  2. #2

    A slightly similar question - from one of my computers I want users to be
    able to "see out", but I do not want users from any other computer to be
    able to "see in".
    My essential question is found in the two paragraphs surrounded by: *!*!*!*
    thanks!
    -ceej
    =======
    Details:

    I finally have my local network working well enough (Thanks Steve W.!).

    I think I have learned that having a "network connection" does not get you
    anything unless you actually make a folder "shared on the network".

    My question:
    I have multiple users on Computer-A
    They should be able to see the file folders on Computer-B that are marked as
    shared on the network. (this now works)

    I also want the multiple users on Computer-A to be able to share files with
    each other via the folder that comes pre-defined in XP as :
    C:\Doents and Settings\All Users\Shared Doents (this also works)

    However, I DO NOT want that folder (or any folder on Computer-A for that
    matter) to be seen from Computer-B.

    I really want one-way only view of B from A (read/write),
    but no view of A from B.

    *!*!*!*
    If I right-click the Shared Doents folder and select Sharing and
    Security, I get the Shared Doents Properties window.
    In the section under "Network sharing and security" it says: "To share the
    folder with both network users and other users of this computer, select the
    first check box below and type a share name."

    In my case, there is a check in the box for "Share this folder on the
    network"
    I want to un-check it so that Computer-B cannot see it.
    However, I am "gun-shy", having in the past lost the local shared property
    of this folder (I do not recall how) and it was a problem.
    *!*!*!*

    So, I am looking for confirmation that this is the solution to my problem.
    *OR*
    Is there a better way to insure that a user on Computer-B cannot see or
    access Computer-A?

    Thanks very much,
    -carl

    "Steve Winograd [MVP]" <winogradpobox.com> wrote in message
    > In article <0af001c34adb$b9640920$a601280aphx.gbl>, "CK"
    > <conkaragotenet.gr> wrote:
    > >How can I change permisions on a shared folder so that
    > >only a few selected users from the local network can
    > >access it?
    > >Up to now I can only add user acounts on my PC only and
    > >not users from my local network.
    > >My network has no domain, only workgroup.
    > >Any help is wellcome...
    >
    > That's how it is with a workgroup: you can only define permissions for
    > accounts on your PC. When someone connects to your computer from
    > another computer on the network, your computer checks their user name
    > and applies the permissions for the matching account on your computer.
    >
    > This web page has full details:
    >
    > Windows XP Professional File Sharing
    > [url]http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/index.htm[/url]
    > --